Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Valerian And the City of a Thousand Planets.

Since there seems to be close to ZERO interest in this movie based on activity on this forum, I figured I'd post since I was looking forward to seeing it and saw it last night.

This was from the guy that did the fifth element, and it looked visually spectacular from trailers.

Based on early reviews, I was expecting near total disaster in terms of general enjoyment, but I actually enjoyed it a great deal. Not saying it was some top class story, but it was a nice break from the more mundane fare most people are going to watch this week. This movie with its exotic locales and wild aliens and visuals and costumes was a great universe to see on screen.

And I suspect, virtually none of you will go to see it. Your loss, this is one of those movies that is a treat to see in a fancy theater, and it likely won't have the slot in the large format screens with better projection after this weekend. I saw it in one of the dolby theaters at AMC with laser projection, that is the best way imo, just a heads up in case any wanted to see it before it's relegated to the back of the bus.

Me and my son will be seeing it ASAP. Been excited about it for months, after seeing the first trailer. Before Spider-Man Homecoming, they screened the first five minutes of the film and I was blown away. David Bowie soundtrack, space stations, jellyfish aliens and amazing visuals. Can't go wrong with that.

Plus, they had me at "guy who did Fifth Element" anyways.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

I really don't care for the guy that did Fifth Element. I hope it's the guy that did Léon, Le Femme Nikita, and Lucy instead.

But, you know, they pretty much had me from Valérian.
    Last edited by Carabas; 07-21-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I have interest in this movie, and I love The Fifth Element, but I'm going to have to start seeing some good reviews before I go. I'm hearing an awful lot about how the visual effects are great but the story is not. Then again, Besson and the French style of storytelling can leave some Americans bewildered... a lot of people gave Fifth Element bad reviews too, because it didn't play like a Schwarzenegger-style American action movie.

So what I want to know is, is this movie closer to The Fifth Element or Wrath of the Titans? Is there steak to go with the sizzle? Or is it a movie that thinks looking pretty is good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I really don't care for the guy that did Fifth Element. I hope it's the guy that did Léon, Le Femme Nikita, and Lucy instead.
    Ya big goofy muggle.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I saw it Wednesday, and really enjoyed it. True definition of a fun popcorn movie. Saw it in 3D, and it was beautiful to look at.
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

Yeah I quite enjoyed it. It was a relief given how lackluster Besson's recent films have been. I've read a few of the Valerian and Laureline stories and this really seemed to capture that world perfectly, you could tell Besson truly loves and appreciates the source material. Of course there are loads of Fifth Element vibes which is not a bad thing by any means.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I just got home from watching Valerian and it was FUN! Yes, capital F U N, FUN! Visually stunning, unique story, great soundtrack, charming humor, action, a little mystery, and even romance. I love a few of Luc Besson's films and knew that there was a 50/50 chance that I'd hate this. I was delighted to be proven right about this one. I hope other people, you perhaps, make it to the theater to support this film in hope that he'll be able to make more. I really want to see more of this stunning universe he's created and the lead actors are great.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Valerian is officially a box office bomb only taking in 17 million in its opening weekend domestically and opening in 5th place. Even if it does massive overseas it is going to be hard for this movie to even come close to making back its 200 million plus production budget.

Mighty Member

it was hard to watch the trailers and not think that the two leads were astonishingly and painfully miscast.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I'll end up seeing it purely for the visuals.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'll end up seeing it purely for the visuals.
    Movies that put style over substance should be avoided, not rewarded.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    I thought it was pretty good actually. The worst was the romance but after watching Arrow S 3&4 it wasn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Don't see why movies with substance but no style should be rewarded either. Ideally a movie should have both.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Don't see why movies with substance but no style should be rewarded either. Ideally a movie should have both.
    True. I saw it just for the spectacle. I am kinda surprised it's bombing here but I'm not sure it's even an American production . So if it does big overseas it may not matter that it bombed in the states.