Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which characters have actually been shoved down our throats?

It's a term used a lot by fans, but which characters have actually been "shoved down our throats"? Is this just a term for characters that readers don't like getting books (pretty much every legacy character) or new supporting characters getting a spotlight in old franchises (like Harper and Duke in Batman)? Are there special cases like Marvel's fixation on the Inhumans because of the movie right situation rather than great sales?

Putting this in the Community forum because it's about both Marvel and DC (and can be about other properties).

BANNED

Guts from Section Eight.

DC tried for years to make the Monarch a thing, despite him being awful every step of the way.
    Thankfully Countdown finally killed the idea forever. I hope.

Astonishing Member

Captain Marvel has been getting a lot of push in Civil War II despite being an idiot, and she looks to be riding high after the event. The Inhumans are a big Marvel push at the expense of the X-Men. To a certain degree Riri Williams as Iron Heart has been receiving a lot more promotion than she would otherwise get.

One character that is overexposed is Deathstroke. He keeps on getting ongoings that rarely sell well and gets put in tons of video games, TV and now films, even if he's really not that interesting. The way some writers worship him like in Identity Crisis is embarrassing.

BANNED

Batman, Superman, Green Lantern (any old one), Barry Allen, Captain America (any), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Wolverine (Logan), Deadpool, the Joker.

These are the major ones I can think of.

Oh, and the bloody Court Of Owls.

I think there's a difference between overexposed and 'shoved down our throats'

Shoved down our throats is more of an unwilling thing, trying to force something to be popular that doesn't catch on. The recent inhumans push (with the exception of Ms. Marvel) fits this.

While overexposed is a character that actually is popular and putting them in too many books. Wolverine, Deadpool, etc fit this.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    It's a term used a lot by fans, but which characters have actually been "shoved down our throats"? Is this just a term for characters that readers don't like getting books (pretty much every legacy character) or new supporting characters getting a spotlight in old franchises (like Harper and Duke in Batman)? Are there special cases like Marvel's fixation on the Inhumans because of the movie right situation rather than great sales?

Putting this in the Community forum because it's about both Marvel and DC (and can be about other properties).

If I never saw another Deadpool title or variant cover I could die happy. Never could get into the character. Hated the Wolverine Spiderman and Ghost Rider thing that permeated the 90's too.

That's a personal question. I plead the fifth.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Whatever character I don't like that shows up in more than one panel

/thread
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Riri Williams, she just randomly started appearing in Invincible Iron Man, then both Rhodey and now Tony are gone and she just is the main character. I don't have a problem with most of Marvel's recent legacy stuff(I've quite enjoyed All New Wolverine and I like Sam Wilson as Cap in theory, though not a fan of Spencer's writing) but this one is such a shallow and transparent push.

I like Deadpool, but yeah, I can live without seeing another Deadpool book for at least 10 years.

DC is really pushing Jon and Damien recently, with all of Jon's appearances in Action Comics/Superman, and Damien's focus in Teen Titans, alongside the upcoming Super Sons book. I like the characters but i can definitely see where the hate comes from.

I think the only place that term fits is when a character you dislike is put into a comic you really like.

Of course it isn't characters, but the obsession of Marvel and DC to shoe horn the next "BIG EVENT" into every comic, usually interrupting a good storyline in that comic, is what made me give up the Big Two.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-23-2016 at 09:30 AM.

BANNED

In the 90s, it was like "Stop trying to make Bloodlines characters happen. They're not going to happen." Except for Hitman, I guess.

I think certainly Captain Marvel has been given a huge push in the last couple of years, motivated almost solely by the prospect and hope of her becoming the next big thing in terms of the MCU. I don't see a lot of other characters whose push wasn't in response to fan response, i.e. yes, Harley Quinn and Deadpool are being pushed a lot but that's because people, for whatever reason, seem to like both. It makes sense. The Inhumans are getting it, too, and while I don't really dislike them, I'm sure if Marvel had the rights to the X Men, all would be very quiet on the Inhuman front.

I see Loki getting a lot of push, but again, that's in response to the popularity of his character in the MCU (people seem to adore villains lately).

I don't eat my comics. So, none, I guess.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.