Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wave Rider and Nu 52 Captain Atom vs. Wally West and The Silver Surfer

Wave Rider and Nu 52 Captain Atom vs Wally West and The Silver Surfer.

Blood lust for each combatant, otherwise.....standard board defaults apply.

Thoughts?
    ----------------------------------
    "...the guy who went to 'Nam and never came back..."

Wave Rider seems the weak link here. I suppose the best you can say is that just because Nu 52 Captain Atom demonstrated that new nuFlash's superspeed was a hilarious irrelevance to him as he paralyzed him with his own speed, he can't necessarily do that to people who are faster.

I suppose my question then becomes, how fast is NuFlash Barry Allen?

When I started reading Nu 52 Barry's stuff, there were....contradictions. There wasn't anything clearly defined in the beginning in the way of his speed...theenn....we reach the reboot of the Nu 52 stuff and we have this....statement in the guy's bio at the end of the book (for what that's worth on rumbles) indicating he could move near light speed.

Then we get to Nu 52 Captain Atom's stuff, issue 3 and we have Barry and Cap covering a distance of, I don't know? Thirty yards....while having a casual conversation an picking s*&tloads of bullets out of the air...all relatively frozen to the two of them.....all in a nano second, I mean, y'know....well faster than light. Then we had a feat of Barry actually getting struck by a bullet and his neurons reacting fast enough that within the femto second he was even touched by the bullet, he was able to move and avoid the rest of the impact.

Okay.

Then, we start having the interaction between him and Nu 52 Thawne, beginning issue 41 of the Nu stuff....and Barry is virtually a statue to Thawne whose power set appears to have been inherited from one Hunter Zolomon, basically, not fast at all, just controlling the flow of time around him....nonetheless, the effect was the same and Barry was basically a statue.

WTF???

And then, the oh so startling revelation in issue 47 that Barry was afraid of tearing a hole in space time which is what inhibited him from cutting loose and going all out.

So....bottom line? Nu 52 Barry is fast enough to enter time on speed alone.

Nu Wally West, was not that fast. He was some kid that absolutely bored me to tears.

However, the Wally West I speaketh of is pre Flash point Wally West.

Edit: so, Wave Rider isn't much of a factor here? Admittedly, most of what little I've read of him was in Action and Superman titles and what not...not much of threat, eh?
    Last edited by AlphaMale; 11-16-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Basically my point boils down to, if NuBarry is as fast as Wally and the Surfer, Atom can just do the both of them up before it is especially a thing that I don't think he has really great durability feats or the like.

I'm going to come back to this in January, after "The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom" comes out. With his Classic Team back writing, it's going to be a trip
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Basically my point boils down to, if NuBarry is as fast as Wally and the Surfer, Atom can just do the both of them up before it is especially a thing that I don't think he has really great durability feats or the like.
    Do them up how, exactly ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Do them up how, exactly ?
    Paralyze them with their own superspeed.

Paralyze them with their own superspeed.
    We granting him that measure of control over it, then?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    We granting him that measure of control over it, then?
    If Barry is as fast as they are, and Atom ended him that way, why not really.

If Barry is as fast as they are, and Atom ended him that way, why not really.
    Given Barry's previous issues at using the speed force at speeds approaching lightspeed, without any real resolution as far as I remember, is there really any reason we would handwave NuAtom wrestling control of the Speed Force away from Wally, or the Power Cosmic in the case of the Surfer.

Or really.. How is he stopping the Surfer? Surfer doesn't use the Speed Force.

Arx Inosaan

That's why I asked how fast Barry is supposed to be in Nu DC as far as weighing the accomplishment.

Comparatively though, if Atom can yank control of the speed force and freeze Barry with it, I can't see it as being hard at all do to that to someone else just by their own momentum frankly. The issue is that if Barry's nowhere as fast as Wally/the Surfer, Atom has nothing for doing that to anyone that fast, and you more get back into things like "nothing I recall from Atom's durability feats are especially hot" and etc.

Waverider solos by calling an infinite army of linear men, freezing them in time etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Waverider solos by calling an infinite army of linear men, freezing them in time etc
    That first thing.. when did the linear men especially get more powerful than being dudes who time travel for some army of them to matter? For both those things generally, unless Waverider has a lot more superspeed than I remember, he still has to think to make any of that go, which would make for getting blitzed before those things happen.

Thus as related, speed feats for Waverider?

Okay. Discussion taking an interesting turn here...I assumed all four characters were in the same reaction speed tier.

??

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    Okay. Discussion taking an interesting turn here...I assumed all four characters were in the same reaction speed tier.

??

If they are, then it's Captain Atom's fight to lose, hence the various askings.