Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    being amnesic doesn't really count when you're 1) royalty and 2) strong enough to just take what you want. Namor grew up in an underwater castle.

He didn't remember any of that "growing up," though. That's how amnesia works.

He had no money. No property. No power in the world aside from some slight super-strength he retained. No education. No awareness of the broader world.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Clearly you haven't read anything about Namor's time as an amnesiac.
    the thread's about class issues. were class issues explored in these appearances? or was it just about Namor not knowing that he's a prince?

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

He had no money. No property. No power in the world aside from some slight super-strength he retained. No education. No awareness of the broader world.
    when you talk about class, it's important to factor in a person's origins; the environment in which they were raised. earlier, someone discounted Matt Murdock because he has become a successful lawyer. I pointed out that he's from a decidedly working class single parent family. Matt has lost his memory before and been destitute (enough that he had to become a boxer). it's not that uncommon a trope in superhero stories. but Namor, for the majority of his life, has been ungodly affluent and powerful. this amnesic period only highlights that.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

the thread's about class issues. were class issues explored in these appearances? or was it just about Namor not knowing that he's a prince?
    He was living in a flophouse doing strong man tricks to get by. And, when he wakes up, his people are gone, cities and all, which he assumes was humans who, in that world, really don't count Atlanteans for much even though, as readers, we can see they're obviously people.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

He was living in a flophouse doing strong man tricks to get by. And, when he wakes up, his people are gone, cities and all, which he assumes was humans who, in that world, really don't count Atlanteans for much even though, as readers, we can see they're obviously people.
    wow, that really makes him sound like a loser. good thing he was born rich. would he be doing strong man tricks; otherwise?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Namor is the only character that I can think of that has been "poor", in the MU. Like really poor, like on the streets and without any means to change that.

Atlantis isn't that much better and they tend to instigate the conflicts most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Namor is the only character that I can think of that has been "poor", in the MU. Like really poor, like on the streets and without any means to change that.
    Demolition Man, the Morlocks, etc...

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Ben actually has been independently wealthy.

And, there was a nice one-off issue of FF where he revisits the building he grew up in and the neighborhood really doesn't care for him. In general I think that's the best motive for the Yancey St Gang, that they both dislike that he's "too good" now and that they're showing their pride in him the way you do when you need to preserve your own pride, too.
    You mean from the FF's earnings? Cause wasn't he 'just' a pilot, before helping Reed hijack the space ship?

I think that's exactly right about the Yancy Street Gang.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I already answered this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Namor actually has had to "worry about money" and unlike the rest of the Marvel royals, has real experience as the poorest of the poor. He was an amnesiac living on the streets of NYC for a while, and some writers seem to take that into account. It was addressed directly in Tales of the Marvels, Inner Demons.

Thank you. I thought I would have to resort to linking to dictionary.com for amnesia.

Exactly.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-16-2016 at 09:50 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Makes me wish Marvel would take Namor more into that direction. A super-powered being who understands what it's like to have nothing. It might be a nice route to go instead of just "overly aggressive king of the sea", when he finally returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Atlantis isn't that much better and they tend to instigate the conflicts most of the time.
    No, they don't, most of the time, while under Namor's rule.

Most of the conflicts have been caused by the surface world attacking or destroying Atlantis first.

Makes me wish Marvel would take Namor more into that direction. A super-powered being who understands what it's like to have nothing. It might be a nice route to go instead of just "overly aggressive king of the sea", when he finally returns.
    ...but he doesn't need money.

Until they give him a book with editorial support, his _guest_ appearances are probably going to be reduced to such cardboard, not completely accurate 'portrayals.'

I think some writers use it as part of Namor's motivation -- it explains some of his choices and his attitude. It would be nice if it were actually shown outright, especially nowadays. And it has played directly into at least two stories, I recall off the top of my head, other than the flashback appearances.

It could be an interesting counterpoint to the 90s 'businessman' series to play up the outsider aspect of Namor more.

wow, that really makes him sound like a loser. good thing he was born rich. would he be doing strong man tricks; otherwise?
    Your empathy for the disenfranchised homeless is stunning.