Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Where does Spider-Man fall in-terms of "Superhero Class?"
    I mean...Spiderman can be a millionaire if he really wants to....wouldn't take him that long either.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Storm was a street urchin in Cairo. Jubilee was a runaway who was squatting in the Hollywood Mall. I suppose Jubes could have done something about it if she had let herself get caught and processed into the system, but accounts of her past suggest she was more afraid of going to live with unknown relatives in Communist China than she was of being homeless.

Anyway, does anyone remember the Union Jack miniseries that happened years ago? Well, that whole series focused on class, specifically in English society. Social class was always a big thing in England, and unlike in the U.S. it has to do with more than money. It can be about family history, where you came from, where you went to university, etc. They were trying to pivot Union Jack away from being "the superhero who fights vampires" because Blade was back and that was his schtick. So, what they settled on was the idea that Joey Chapman was a blue collar English bloke who inherited the mantle of an upper class posh superhero.
    Yeah I reckon especially for a British series you would have to talk about superheroes and class. I didn’t read it though. Maybe I’ll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    The problem is nearly all teams and superheroes NEED tons of money to have these amazing gadgets or bases (SEE: Daredevil example above). How does Punisher afford all his stuff? I do like characters with jobs, like Doctor Voodoo still practicing medicine or She-Hulk with her law firm. It's good to see them work. The X-men, because of how it was originally set-up, never really have a job. Anole running Angel's business or Emma mentioning her foundation is about the only time we hear of their jobs. Then again most X-men ARE TEACHERS! Which is a job too.
    Frank has often appropriated money from criminals he kills, much like Blade does in the movies.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The X-Men are "teachers" in name only. I doubt any of them are actually certified in any official way. Really the whole X-men system is basically a welfare racket with all of them living off Xaviers and Worthingtons money.

Bruce Banner/Hulk is fairly on-the-road a lot although he's occasionally settled down a bit in a fancy lab complex (usually when the transformations are more controlled).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    that really shouldn't bother you, at all. if you look how Matt grew up, he is very much working class. when they give him that label, they are talking about his background and his frame of reference. it was just he and his dad; who made his living by fighting. I can almost guarantee that Matt gives a lot of money to charity or the church. in the movies, he and Foggy were getting paid in homemade pastry. he has no issue doing pro bono. in that way, he's very much a man of the people. don't judge him for the sensory deprivation chamber. he physically needs it to sleep. it's probably very expensive to maintain, as well. Matt isn't rich.
    Yeah, Matt's kind of an odd case, in that he is theoretically in a job that makes you rich, but in between doing lots of pro-bono work, and the things needed to help him endure his disability eating up a hefty chunk of change, he doesn't have much left at the end of the month for luxuries. So he lives poor despite making New York lawyer money on individual cases.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

With Matt Murdock it's important to remember that Midtown West/"Hell's Kitchen" was a very different neighborhood in the 70s/80s. Rent was less than a quarter what it is now.

Matt's whole set up doesn't make sense in Clinton in 2018, where unless he was a corporate lawyer or had wealthy parents...he's not buying a brownstone or renting a loft.

The show gives reasons for it, but honestly I'd rather see it outright addressed. Daredevil is importantly working class. I want that carried over in a modern context.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-26-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If anything Daredevil would fit better in say Chicago these days if they wanted to keep those classic elements in place. Marvel would never do that because in their universe the US is made up of just New York City and LA with nothing in between, but Daredevil would make way more sense being set in the south side of Chicago these days than he does in Hella Kitchen.