Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Default What does the "American Way" mean to you (in one sentence)

For me the American way is blues, jazz, superheroes, rock n' roll & hip hop.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

BANNED

This is really a thread you want to start now of all times?

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    This is really a thread you want to start now of all times?
    What better time?
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

BANNED

Money rules lol

america-in-one-picture.jpg
    how about i sum it up in one picture

Truth and justice for all
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

"It's the little bridge at Concord where freedom's fight began....."

Extraordinary Member

America, to me, has always been about being a paragon of diversity and tolerance: diversity of races, religions, backgrounds, and environments. The nation's diversity makes it all the stronger. Like it says on the base of the Statue of Liberty, "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Its a shame that the current President elect's administration doesn't look to be reflecting those values.

Astonishing Member

Judge and support each person based on who they as an individual are.

Retired

___________fill in the blank.

I think the clever copy writers when they came up with this phrase that has such a lovely rhythm--Truth, Justice and the American Way--were looking for something that felt good to the listener but could really mean anything for any American at that time. American Way being a bit more fuzzy than Truth and Justice--in one sense--since there's some meaning you can attach to what is true and what is just, though that will also vary with each listener. American Way--in another sense--could have more meaning because it's specific to place. An American could think--that's me now, Superman represents me and my values.

Of course, for the rest of us that aren't Americans, it's one of those things that doesn't belong with the other. Truth and Justice are timeless and universal concepts. American Way just isn't.

But one can imagine that it means something for Superman. And not being an American, I can't fill in the blank with what are my values as an American. So I have to guess what values Superman might have gleaned from America. And that changes with the times. But I'd like to think it's the values that he got from his parents, who represent America for him. The reason Superman loves his adopted country rests in his love for his adopted parents. So he's really saying that he believes in Truth and Justice and he really wants his parents to be proud of him because he loves them so much.

The Statue of Liberty. The ideals it represents. She must be crying now.