Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I guess that's taking it more seriously than I am. I tend to put it in the same category as Cabin the Woods more than Alien. It's a satirical movie. I mean, the sleeping bag redux. The broad cartoons that most of the characters never stop being.
    I'm not saying it's as good as Alien, or that it's the same tone as Alien, I'm saying the movie takes the basic idea and drops Jason into it. It's a Jason in Space movie that's pulling heavily from Alien, and does the ambush scene from Aliens, only it's don't these things with Jason, which is a pretty funny idea in and of itself.

It's a movie/tv thread, but I'm cool with love for total franchises, too.

I actually like a lot of the comics done for Full Moon stuff. The Doll Man mini is good. Some Puppet Master stuff isn't too bad. And, as a brand itself, I have an inordinate love for Full Moon and its multiverse. I've seen every Puppet Master movie more times than I should have, and I'll watch'em again given the excuse. Or, the three Witchouse movies. Witchouse is really just a weaker retread of Night of the Demons, but it's fun, and the two sequels are good comfort horror.

Not my favorites, or even, maybe, top five, but they have their place.

If Texas Blood Money wasn't such a bust, From Dusk Till Dawn would be up there in the top ten, probably. The show is good. The first movie and The Hangman's Daughter are excellent. Like Sleepaway Camp, sometimes one bad third, or even one really shoddy quarter can throw the whole thing off for me as a whole. Suddenly it's good bits are lesser for the some of all the parts.
    I don't think I've read any Full Moon comics. Watch the movies, but never read the comics. I only really like the Puppet Master movies where they're the good guys, never really got into the ones before those two, and I really hate the later ones after those.

Never really got into The Hangman's Daughter, it all feels too safe for a From Dusk Till Dawn movie, it never really plays with anything it's doing as much as I'd hoped while watching it. With Blood Money I just wished the movie had been the opening show they're watching, that's the best thing in any of the later From Dusk Till Dawn stuff. I've only seen the first season of the show, but I didn't really like a lot of the changes it made. I didn't really dislike it, but I didn't like how all the vampires were the same snake type thing, and I remember not liking some later stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Godzilla View Post
    Jason X isn't really all that good, the kills suck, (beside the face smash, which is one of the very best in the whole series if not all slasher films, or maybe just movies in general) it looks cheaper than any movie in the series, (and not it a fun throwback way like Danger 5, more like they just didn't quite know what they were doing) but god damn if the idea of the movie isn't fun. Making a Alien/Aliens movie and just replacing the Alien with Jason? Genius. I think I would have been totally fine with that's the course Jason movies had just kept going, just fighting off brand versions of other characters like in New Blood, or being dropped into a similar scenario like X. Thinking about it right now, I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't try going full Alien, bring back some stupid shit from Jason Goes To Hell like the worm or something, have it explode out of someone; but that's the worst of the movies, so I can see just wanting people to forget it.
    The Jason X movie is cheesy but clever. Its actually my favorite Jason film, because its self-aware and embraces the ridiculousness of the slasher genre unabashedly. But I also liked the vision of the future. His victims were so reliant on technology and convenience that they effectively were sheltered from the real world and its inconveniences.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Amazing Member

Certainly not the best, but I've got a weak spot for the "Wrong Turn" series. They're all pretty fun Movies.

I know 2011's The Thing gets crapped on for being nowhere near as good as the Carpenter film (rightly so), but as far as prequels go, I thought it did a pretty great job all around. Since it's a prequel to the Carpenter film, I consider the Thing as a horror franchise, and so it holds a special place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The Jason X movie is cheesy but clever. Its actually my favorite Jason film, because its self-aware and embraces the ridiculousness of the slasher genre unabashedly. But I also liked the vision of the future. His victims were so reliant on technology and convenience that they effectively were sheltered from the real world and its inconveniences.
    It's not a good movie exactly, but it is a very fun movie. I'll never forget seeing it in the movie theater with a very raucous crowd, it was a blast!

Rami's Evil Dead series

Universal's Frankenstein movies (out of 8 movies 4 are legitimately awesome)

Hammer's Frankenstein and Dracula movies (even with the repetition on the Drac movies) are plum Halloween viewing

AIP's Vincent Price starring Edgar Allan Poe movies, too!
    Last edited by Angilasman; 11-21-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

1-Fryday the 13th movies.

2-Predator movies.

3-Alien movies.

4-A Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The Jason X movie is cheesy but clever. Its actually my favorite Jason film, because its self-aware and embraces the ridiculousness of the slasher genre unabashedly.
    Jason Lives does that stuff far better.

But I also liked the vision of the future. His victims were so reliant on technology and convenience that they effectively were sheltered from the real world and its inconveniences.
    I enjoy Jason X, nobody has to sell me on that movie, but I don't remember is haven't a particularly strong vision of the future, or really any vision of the future for that matter.

Just because it's so it's own unique thing, I don't really consider Evil Dead one of the big horror franchises. It's totally a horror themed series, but personally it's always separate in my mind from the other big name series. Definitely one of the most consistent though, with Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, and Ash vs. Evil Dead all being fantastic. I've heard good things about the remake movie, just that it's a decent horror movie but not really an Evil Dead movie, and I still like the original but 2 overshadows it a lot.

Member in Disguise

Hellraiser- (It's a shame they only made 3... ).
    Ringu- (The original series, not the American remake poop)
    Guinea Pig- (Another Japanese series, think Faces of Death but x1000)
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.