Mighty Member

Default Morrison's "Zenith"

Has anyone else on this forum read Morrison's "Zenith" (originally published in "2000AD")?

In general terms, it was Morrison's first run with many of the ideas that he ended up using (mostly at DC). (Recent posting about "Multiversity" reminded me of this series.)

Thoughts?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Zenith is great.

Morrison could be laugh out loud funny, back in the day.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

I have the HC's, but haven't read them all. The first two were just ok. I did notice he touched on themes that he would eventually go on to become famous for. I've found i don't really like a lot of Morrison's stuff. Still trying to get through Invisibles as well.

Mighty Member

The biggest problem with Morrison is that he tends to set stuff up for other writers who do a poor job of following up, if they bother at all. ("Multiversity" is the most recent example.)

I like Morrison for his focus on ideas above all else.

But, sometimes...

Morrison could be laugh out loud funny, back in the day.
    I spent more time than I should have trying to figure out the point of the last story, with the robot and Britney Spears. Then, the guy in the comics shop said that Morrison just wanted to write a nasty and mean-spirited story. (And, really, the fact it was about Spears made it funny.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Thought it started well, with a bit of pop culture satire, via a superhero, and was a nice idea; but, found that it went nuts once it moved across dimensions. Personally, I think morrison is highly overrated in that kind of area, trying his best to be Michael Moorcock, (and William S Burroughs) without his originality. That's me though. Steve Yeowell, on the other hand, rocks the art on the series.

I like Zenith but TBH I prefer older Morrison books so it was no brainer for me.

And one great thing, this is where Many Angled Ones started their journey through different books from different british authors.

It is a good read, and you see some early ideas he would play with in later books also.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I had never read Zenith before buying 2000AD's special rarer complete edition, and I read it in 2015, and it was just fantastic.

It's amazing how COIE it is, it's the UK COIE basically. Just fun and funny. I love HP Lovecraft, so I always feel if you're a big Lovecraft fan, you can appreciate Morrison's villains perhaps a little more, cosmicism, cosmic horror.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    It is a good read, and you see some early ideas he would play with in later books also.
    It also seems to have influenced Hickman's lead-in to "Secret Wars", with the heroes destroying alternate Earths.

Given what Morrison is known to think of "Crisis on Infinite Earths", "Zenith" (where the bad guys were engineering the world-ending events) could be taken as a rebuttal. (Correct me if I am wrong, Morrison published "Zenith" almost immediately after "Crisis on Infinite Earths".)