Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Zero Year or Year One - What shall remain when the dust settles?

With all this talk of pre-Flashpoint continuity returning, its something that I couldn't help think about.

I personally believe this is one cases where New 52 canon will trump Pre-Flashpoint, for the following reasons-

1. Zero Year is Scott Snyder's baby, and Snyder's take on Batman very much continues to inform the DC Rebirth portrayal of the character. Tom King's work is pretty much a continuation of Snyder's run. The Zero Year event has even been referenced a few times since Rebirth began. Given that Batman was one of the few successful 'reboots' (rather, soft-boots) of the New 52 line, I can see Zero Year staying on that account.

2. Duke Thomas, a notable character in the current Batman universe, has his origins tied to Zero Year.

3. There are a lot of assorted contradictions between Year One and New 52 continuity in the Batman-line. For instance, Gordon's kids. There's no way James Jr. can be an infant during Batman's debut...even with an expanded timeline, its unlikely to go beyond 10 years. There's also the issue of Barbara Gordon, now firmly established as Gordon's daughter and not his adoptive daughter/niece who came to live with him AFTER Batman showed up.

Granted, an argument can be made in favor of preserving BOTH stories...which appears to be the goal of the Rebirth initiative in general as far as the two continuities go.

There are a few gaps in 'Zero Year', notably at the end of the 'Secret City' sub-section and before 'Dark City'. Some of the crucial scenes from Year One could be worked in there - like Batman invading the Mayor's mansion, the GCPD surrounding him in a tenement building that is then bombed etc. And I'd like to imagine Gordon still waited on that rooftop to tell Batman about the impending threat of the Joker (except he's now a Commissioner and not a Captain).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    2. Duke Thomas, a notable character in the current Batman universe, has his origins tied to Zero Year.
    That could cause contradictions if the get the 10 years back.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    3. There are a lot of assorted contradictions between Year One and New 52 continuity in the Batman-line. For instance, Gordon's kids. There's no way James Jr. can be an infant during Batman's debut...even with an expanded timeline, its unlikely to go beyond 10 years. There's also the issue of Barbara Gordon, now firmly established as Gordon's daughter and not his adoptive daughter/niece who came to live with him AFTER Batman showed up.
    James Jr. made allready pre flashpoint no sense, if he was born in year one he could be at best around Tims age, and would be 12-13 years younger than Barbara which was clearly not the case in the flashbacks Black Mirror.

Astonishing Member

Zero Year probably until Snyder leaves the line or DC and then it will probably get reworked into having happened after YO.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Zero Year probably until Snyder leaves the line or DC and then it will probably get reworked into having happened after YO.
    I think this is also the most likely outcome, for better or worse.

Incredible Member

Definitely Snyder's story until he leaves Batman behind, unless the incoming writer can come up with a storyline to use Scott's stuff.

Spectacular Member

Tbh I prefer Zero Year to Year One so kinda hope that actually becomes continuity.
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Wouldn't it be pretty easy to make zero year a year 2 type of story?

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Wouldn't it be pretty easy to make zero year a year 2 type of story?
    Not really. How would that work with Jim Gordon?

This is the New 52 continuity still, so Zero Year until a genuine reboot happens.

BANNED

Year One without a question.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

ZY might hold for a good bit as technical canon, but it will never overshadow Year One as key mythos material, regardless of canon.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not really. How would that work with Jim Gordon?
    True, I suppose you could try to take pieces. Still, If I had to pick one its Year One always.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Ten years from now folks will still buy YEAR ONE by the goddam Frank Miller graphic novels, because its a friggin classic.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Ten years from now folks will still buy YEAR ONE by the goddam Frank Miller graphic novels, because its a friggin classic.
    I don't think the question was "What's the better story", though.

I've assumed the title of this thread
    Zero Year or Year One - What shall remain when the dust settles?
    had to do more which will be Batman's official back-story for the on-going comic books.

Incredible Member

Zero Year or Year One - What shall remain when the dust settles?
    Year One is a masterpiece and still looms large over Batman lore across all media - The dust already has started to settle on Zero Year; in the minds of most, it's a curious footnote at best. The concept of "canon" when it comes to DC just doesn't really apply right now like it did as little as six years ago. The simple fact is, for the most part, people don't care what DC's official version of events is. Sal Maroni will always be the guy who threw acid in Harvey Dent's face and Year One will always be the definitive Batman origin. Unless something insanely spectacular and superior comes along and blows it out of the water, which, heheh, that's not Zero Year.