Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I mean, I don't think Batman solo can be just written off as a "crazy dude in a mask," since he's more then that. Even with Robin he's got Alfred and Gordon. Robin is an entirely different aspect then that in my opinion.

Passion I'll definitely give you. Craft could be a little topsy-turvy .
Alfred and Gordon are essential, too, but Robin is, to me, the incarnation of Batman's inspirational potential, rather than two father-figure types. He's creating a new family, building something. I dunno. It's tricky, trying to articulate why I love different parts of the Batfamily or Bat-structure, but when Chuck Dixon articulated what Denny O'Neil told him when he first was offered the Robin title in the early 1990s, and Dixon said he didn't like Robin, he said that O'Neil told him basically what I said about Batman by himself being just a crazy man in a weird outfit, and that's stuck with me ever since.

There's only a few craft moments where I think Tynion really fell down, and I blame a lot of that on Metal and then prepping for Justice League. I think the way he tied almost everything (except Cass) together in the last arc is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
I don't think retconning is giving old stories or continuity is giving it the middle finger. What makes you think it is done disrespectfully?

I wonder if a lot of people left when they got rid of the pre-Crisis stuff too.
I mean, I know a lot of people are still mad at Helena Bertinelli for what it did to Helena Wayne. So I can see it from that perspective, too.

There's a way to retcon that is respectful - which I would say is a lot of what happened with Rebirth - and a bad way, which is a lot of what I think happened in the n52. The Villains Month Bane story, what Morrison did to Talia's backstory with Bruce, what happens nearly every time a new writer gets onto Wonder Woman - that's all pretty disrespectful.

A lot of it does come down to "is this a retcon that makes something I didn't like better, or something that I didn't care about cool" or "is this a retcon that makes something I loved bad, or something I cared about uncool". So it can be intensely personal.