Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Back in the early 1970s, Denmark produced a glam rock band known as the "Walkers." They never made much noise in the U.S., but had one huge monster hit in Europe and (of all places) the Far East.

Though styled a glam rock band, and marketed as bubble gum pop, their hit actually sounds to my ears like early power pop.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Yes are one of my all time favourite groups. Here they are introducing the considerable talents of Steve Howe to the world on 'Yours Is No Disgrace', the opening track on the seminal 'The Yes Album' (1971):

One of the reasons I grew up thinking Classic Rock was corny was this commercial:

Now, I have every one of those songs in my iTunes.
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its a weird time for classic rock when Axl Rose is fronting 2 legendary bands in one year. He has headlined the AC/DC tour overseas they needed to finish for Rock or Bust. No one thought it would work. In fact people were like...ugh no way. Instead it seems Rose took it as some kind of challenge. To show them he could do it. He also gave the band something it hasn't had in years...a sense of new and daring. As one insider said , Rose asked to do more classic Bon Scott songs and do them. Which is quite a change from the last number of years for the band.

It also stunned folks as Rose seemed to jell quick. I mean...scary quick. Like he was destined to be AC/DC's new lead singer. What does the future hold for the band ? Do they reunite with Johnson who had a new device created to save his hearing ? Or do they decide to try and do a new album with Rose and see what he can do ?

Who would think in 2016 , Axl Rose would front 2 big bands in a year ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Axl clearly has the chops, but I shouldn't have been surprised. It reminded me of the 'scientific' study showing he has one of the greatest ranges of all time.

http://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-...t-vocal-ranges

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Astonishing Member

Jefferson Airplane gave us what was pretty much the anthem of the late 1960s:

The eighth studio album of The Kinks, 'Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One', gave us "Lola". A song that is rumored to have been created by the band's rhythm guitarist (Ray Davies) after witnessing the band's manager (Robert Wace) with a transgender woman. This song was banned in several counties in the US, UK, and Australia due to the gender lyrics but also because of product-placement laws (since it mentioned Coca-Cola). If you hear a version of this song with "cherry cola" replacing "Coca-Cola" you are listening to the UK version. The unusual, clangy sound you hear comes from a 1938 National Steel Dobro (resonating guitar) paired with The Kinks traditional Martin.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    One of the reasons I grew up thinking Classic Rock was corny was this commercial:

Now, I have every one of those songs in my iTunes.
    When I was young at one point I thought that Seals and Crofts were the same people as Sid and Marty Kroft. I thought that they were singers who decided to make kid's shows.

Ultimate Member

Queen of Soul killin' it on Satisfaction

Ultimate Member

Aerosmith. It's interesting to consider how they typified being a certain type of 70's hard rock band, to seeing how they almost ended up as the kings of schmaltz by the end of their career. But yeah, there's no doubt they inspired a hundred bands throughout the 70's and especially the 80's.

Ultimate Member

Heart is another band I learned to appreciate almost after the fact

Ultimate Member

Metallica from 1983. I'm not gonna hate, but it's funny how they used to be the opposite of what was then "MTV" metal ( and that was a huge part of their appeal then), and now they've been these stogy rock stars for like 20 yrs.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The Beau Brummels - "Just A Little"

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ever since this thread started I've wanted to follow up on only the 3rd post. I revere Bruce Springsteen's work but just couldn't decide which track to spotlight. What an inspiring body of work. Springsteen's lyrics only get more profound the older that you get. I actually could have posted dozens of examples:

Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-23-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Metallica from 1983. I'm not gonna hate, but it's funny how they used to be the opposite of what was then "MTV" metal ( and that was a huge part of their appeal then), and now they've been these stogy rock stars for like 20 yrs.
    Yep. If any band has ever been guilty of totally taking their eyes off the ball then it's Metallica.

I always found it quite ironic seeing them throwing darts at Kip Winger in the 'Nothing Else Matters' video. Ironic because, hey that's the band that you're turning into!

This is an appreciation thread though so I'll finish this by stating just how much I love their 1980's work. Including this godly album: