Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
The strict definition of what actually constitutes 'Classic Rock' has certainly become more loose over the years. Almost like an elastic band that gets stretched further and further as the years go by.

For me, the 'real' Classic Rock years run from roughly 1967 to 1994. Not to say that there wasn't classic music prior to that, or since, but those years to me signalled a stellar leap forward in creativity and commercial success. The UK's biggest Classic Rock magazine covers bands from all the different genres of rock from those years, including the likes of Punk (which I'm not a fan of) and Thrash Metal (which I am). A magazine like that wouldn't have touched those genres a couple of decades ago. I suppose that's just the passage of time for you.

It's certainly a very clique-ish form of music. From the Mods & Rockers kicking off in Brighton in 1964, to the rivalry between Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin fans during the 1970's (a big deal here in the UK), and to Glam vs. Thrash Metal in the 80's. I always got on well with folks at school by being open to all those bands, I could listen to both Slayer and Journey! Rather than being repulsed by my Dad's record collection I actually found it quite inspiring.

Favourite band were always Led Zeppelin. Here's a track that does everything over the course of it's 4 minutes plus:
When I was a kid, Led Zep was always on the radio. And I'll be frank, I was kinda meh on them. They pretty much symbolized "corporate rock radio" in the States. I was friends with a guy who was trying to start a band in the 80's and yeah, I remember seeing the infamous "Don't play Stairway To Heaven in this store" signs. As an adult, I learned to appreciate them. Rob Plant's "Big Log" however is awesome...