Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Invincible Member

Default Classic Rock Appreciation

I don't think there was a thread dedicated to this so I thought I'd start one. While my definition of rock n roll is pretty loose, for a long time I think there was a vague concession that "classic rock" was 60's pop/rock and 70's hard rock. Then there's the phrase "Dad Rock" which I took to mean that stuff plus whatever contemporary music your Dad likes, so your Pop likes Cheap trick and the new Dave Matthews song it's Dad Rock. Your mom likes Elton John and the new John Meyer song so that's "Soccer Mom Rock"...I guess. My one of my classic rock stations now plays Metallica and Motley Crue. Back when those albums were originally released they wouldn't touch the stuff. Personally, I want to count anything from Sly Stone to the Pistols and I'll throw a couple of Siouxsie and the Banshees covers as well as classic. Anyway...I thought this thread could be a cool place to share music, stories etc.

Recently, I was working off site and a group of us were standing around waiting to get started. The oldest was a little over 60 and the youngest was 21-ish. A couple of people were talking about trips to England and the next thing you know we were all making puns about Pinball Wizard and talking about the movie "Tommy." And yes, the 21yr old completely knew about The Who ( she also backed me up when I was talking about The Monkees).

I assume that most of the people on this site are comic book fans so I propose we use the Marvel sliding scale. Anything at least 10-15 years old from "now" is fair game as long as you can make a case for it.

Last edited by ed2962; 12-06-2016 at 06:51 PM.