Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Classic Rock Appreciation

I don't think there was a thread dedicated to this so I thought I'd start one. While my definition of rock n roll is pretty loose, for a long time I think there was a vague concession that "classic rock" was 60's pop/rock and 70's hard rock. Then there's the phrase "Dad Rock" which I took to mean that stuff plus whatever contemporary music your Dad likes, so your Pop likes Cheap trick and the new Dave Matthews song it's Dad Rock. Your mom likes Elton John and the new John Meyer song so that's "Soccer Mom Rock"...I guess. My one of my classic rock stations now plays Metallica and Motley Crue. Back when those albums were originally released they wouldn't touch the stuff. Personally, I want to count anything from Sly Stone to the Pistols and I'll throw a couple of Siouxsie and the Banshees covers as well as classic. Anyway...I thought this thread could be a cool place to share music, stories etc.

Recently, I was working off site and a group of us were standing around waiting to get started. The oldest was a little over 60 and the youngest was 21-ish. A couple of people were talking about trips to England and the next thing you know we were all making puns about Pinball Wizard and talking about the movie "Tommy." And yes, the 21yr old completely knew about The Who ( she also backed me up when I was talking about The Monkees).

I assume that most of the people on this site are comic book fans so I propose we use the Marvel sliding scale. Anything at least 10-15 years old from "now" is fair game as long as you can make a case for it.

Last edited by ed2962; 12-06-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

I'm not the biggest Tom Petty fan, but this is my favorite Petty song.

my second favorite is "Breakdown"

Ultimate Member

I respect Springsteen. This is my favorite Bruce song. Loosely inspired by a Louis Malle film, this song is beautiful and haunting and suggests so much in the lyrics

Ultimate Member

The NY Dolls were Morrissey's favorite band. Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols was very obviously trying to copy Johnny Thunders guitar style. And then there's Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me" which is close to being an inverted version of this song.

This video is funny cuz most of the audience is sitting there stone faced except like one girl who's singing along.

Ultimate Member

"September" is a song by American funk band Earth, Wind & Fire, written by Maurice White, Al McKay, and Allee Willis.
    White's unusual lyrics for the chorus were debated by Willis: "I said, 'We are going to change 'ba-dee-ya' to real words, right?' ... I learned my greatest lesson ever in songwriting from him, which was never let the lyric get in the way of the groove."

This song is life eternal

Ultimate Member

In the early 80's this was American Punk Rock and it actually scared the **** outa some people. You had Donahue doing his talk show on it. You had scripted shows like Chips and Quincy doing episodes about how frightening these punk kids were. It's funny that 35 years later you have Broadway shows based on Green Days albums and I see 8 year olds with mohawks.

For fun, check the old school TV shows...That's Incredible, Hill Street Blues, and yes Quincy

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Couldn't do this thread without an appearance by the Fab Four.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The strict definition of what actually constitutes 'Classic Rock' has certainly become more loose over the years. Almost like an elastic band that gets stretched further and further as the years go by.

For me, the 'real' Classic Rock years run from roughly 1967 to 1994. Not to say that there wasn't classic music prior to that, or since, but those years to me signalled a stellar leap forward in creativity and commercial success. The UK's biggest Classic Rock magazine covers bands from all the different genres of rock from those years, including the likes of Punk (which I'm not a fan of) and Thrash Metal (which I am). A magazine like that wouldn't have touched those genres a couple of decades ago. I suppose that's just the passage of time for you.

It's certainly a very clique-ish form of music. From the Mods & Rockers kicking off in Brighton in 1964, to the rivalry between Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin fans during the 1970's (a big deal here in the UK), and to Glam vs. Thrash Metal in the 80's. I always got on well with folks at school by being open to all those bands, I could listen to both Slayer and Journey! Rather than being repulsed by my Dad's record collection I actually found it quite inspiring.

Favourite band were always Led Zeppelin. Here's a track that does everything over the course of it's 4 minutes plus:

While Big Star have made it onto the general public's radar more and more as the years have gone by, Chris Bell's solo record is every bit as good.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'm gonna make a case for Rod Stewart also. Specifically his material recorded during the early 1970's whilst concurrently working as a member of The Faces (who all play on his first few albums). He lost it somewhat as the 70's wore on. Moving to LA and discovering disco and synths did nothing for the quality of his musical output but, prior to that, his stuff was really underrated. Across the albums 'Gasoline Alley' (1970), 'Every Picture Tells A Story' (1971 - his masterpiece which contains his greatest song 'Mandolin Wind') and 'Never A Dull Moment' (1972) Rod recorded some genuinely stunning music.

He still had the air of an old folkie at this stage and included cover versions that absolutely nailed the source material. Like this:

Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-23-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I'm gonna make a case for Rod Stewart also.
    Isn't Rod being great a given?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    And then there's Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me" which is close to being an inverted version of this song.
    You know, I always thought they had lifted it from here...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You know, I always thought they had lifted it from here...
    Ha Ha! I hadn't thought of it, but yeah I think it works...thing is, a lot of these things are re-workings of old Chuck Berry riffs. It's not hard to connect the dots. On that note here's a LL Cool J song that samples Chuck's licks and gives a shout out to Jimi Hendricks

One of our local rock stations, which for years called itself a classic rock station rebranded itself last month as an "iconic" rock station. It still essentially has the same play list but added a few things here and there that were more recent that typical classic rock stations play. I believe it is owned by one of the larger radio conglomerates, so I am guess this is not the first or only classic rock station using the iconic branding to freshen up what they have been doing for years, but it was the first I had heard of it.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ultimate Member

Here's Chuck Berry blowing America's mind...