Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

A somewhat underappreciated classic by the Small Faces.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Otis Redding singing "Try a Little Tenderness" during a tour of Norway in 1967. A giant talent whom we lost much too soon.

Early, pre-ProgRock Moody Blues with Denny Lane.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

This is a fine track from the Los Angeles group Spirit.

Bits of it seem familiar somehow. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Fantastic Member Chicken Pocket's Avatar

I dig me some King Crimson, too. Here's KC mark III:

Speaking of familiar...I give you the first song I bought on iTunes:

Coming from the same country that gave us Justin Bieber... The Guess Who started in the late 50's under the name "The Silvertones". But it wasn't until the early 60's when Randy Bachman & Fred Turner (who both later formed Bachman-Turner Overdrive) that the group flourished. These two songs are separate tracks but almost always combined when played, this was do to both songs deemed too short. Bachman wrote "No Sugar Tonight" while bandmate Burton Cummings wrote "New Mother Nature", both were written in F# and blended easily. Another fun fact was that RCA Victor made them add the lines "in my coffee" and "in my tea" because it was thought the lyrics were too sexual.

Now as far as the "familiar" part...take a listen to Pearl Jam's "Daughter".
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Fantastic Member Chicken Pocket's Avatar

Deep Purple (w/ David Coverdale & Glenn Hughes), rockin' under a rainbow in Cali! I grew up with the Gillan/Glover version of the band, and have only in the past couple of years been delving into this stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post

Now as far as the "familiar" part...take a listen to Pearl Jam's "Daughter".
    Let's not even get into Free's 'All Right Now' and 'Rock'n Me' by the Steve Miller Band .

Just like everyone (or most) on here, I'm old enough to remember the joys of vinyl. Not to mention the sometimes genius packaging that said vinyl was sometimes nestled in. This is something that neither the CD or digital age of music has remotely come close to.

My personal favourite memory was when my Dad bought the ELO album 'Out Of The Blue' in 1977. I was only a few years old at the time and the music on it was way beyond me.

The front cover was this awesome gatefold featuring an orbiting spaceship. Early copies also contained a aerial model of this. It was based on this picture:

My Dad suspended the model of this from my bedroom ceiling. Cool.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 11-21-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Previous picture was much too big

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Let's not even get into Free's 'All Right Now' and 'Rock'n Me' by the Steve Miller Band .
    They say 85% of rock songs use the same four chords and one of ten chord progressions...obviously some bands do it much better!
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pocket View Post
    Deep Purple (w/ David Coverdale & Glenn Hughes), rockin' under a rainbow in Cali! I grew up with the Gillan/Glover version of the band, and have only in the past couple of years been delving into this stuff:

Tommy Bolin. You might want to look into his time in the band.

Ultimate Member

This is one of my favorite movies. Directed by Todd Haynes, it's a tribute to the glam scene of the 70's as well as a coming of age story. A reporter investigates the disappearance of a rock star loosely based on David Bowie and explores the rock star's relationship with another musician who's a mash up of Iggy Pop and Lou Reed. I guess chunks of the script were inspired by a book written by Bowie's first wife, so he refused to let his music be used in the film.

Ultimate Member

Speaking of Bowie, I grew up with 80's Bowie but I kinda prefer some of his 70's hits. The rumor I heard was that Life On Mars came about because Bowie's manager thought he should do an English language version of some old French pop song. David took a pass thinking it wouldn't be a hit. Then Neil Sedaka bought the rights to that very song, re-worked it some and it became the huge hit My Way. Bowie then wrote Life On Mars using a similar arrangement.

Ultimate Member

Alice!

Ultimate Member

I was always aware of Priest. British Steel and Screaming For Vengeance were big hits when I was younger. However, I never actually sat down and tried to honestly listen to them until years later. I still think they don't get their due from more mainstream rock critics.

Last edited by ed2962; 11-21-2016 at 07:13 PM.