Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Robert Hunter, lyricist for perhaps most of the Grateful Dead's best remembered songs, died Sept 23 at age 78. He and Jerry Garcia had formed a duo called Bob and Jerry in 1960, but he had moved from the Bay Area to New Mexico by the time Garcia formed the Grateful Dead. Garcia reached out to him to write lyrics for the new group, with Garcia's writing the melodies. uinter never performed on stage with the Dead (although he was a talented musician), but he toured with the group from backstage and out in the crowds. His lyrics were often mystical or oblique, a far cry from the basic lyrics of most rock songs. In tribute, I'd like to re-post one of his songs that I posted before:

As you wrote in one of your biggest hits, Truckin', "What a long, strange trip it's been." Indeed, and you provided an important part of its soundtrack. Thank you, sir. Your lyrics will continue to "ripple" through the lives of all who heard them.

Invincible Member

Never noticed how much Peter Gabriel looked like Sinead O'Connor.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Never noticed how much Peter Gabriel looked like Sinead O'Connor.
    Kinda like saying John Lennon looks like Noel Gallagher, no?

Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Let's have some Cream in honour of the just deceased Ginger Baker. My favourite track by them and let's make it this ****-hot live version of it:

RIP Ginger Baker (and thoughts of Jack Bruce too whilst we're at it).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Let's have some Cream in honour of the just deceased Ginger Baker.
    Here's Ginger Baker's famous drum solo on the instrumental track "Toad", from their first album Fresh Cream.

Astonishing Member

I have just gone through all my posts in this thread and replaced all the dead links to videos that have been removed from YouTube with links to other videos of those same tracks, as nearly as possible. If people consider this thread to be worth keeping, maybe other people who have posted herein will wish to do the same. I can see some value in that - for those of us "of a certain age" (and there may be very few such folks on this board, I admit), it has been sort of a soundtrack to our lives. (During my edits, I noted that one song I has posted was the Jefferson Airplane's "Come Up the Years", which seems appropriate.) If the thread, however, has outlived its interest, then I suppose (as the title of George Harrison's first post-Beatles album reminds us), "All Things Must Pass". Anyway, for however long this thread hangs around, I hope it won't go away just because the posted videos are removed, when they can be replaced with links to the same tracks.

I had to go back and do the same thing a few months ago. Like you say, many of my videos had been taken down by Youtube. Luckily, many musical artists are finally giving up the ghost and allowing their content to be used officially on the site so it was quite easy really. It's very easy now to find the official audio for music that has no chance of being deleted. As for the thread staying relevant, well, if others continue to contribute then I'm more then willing also.

I realised that I've never posted anything from The Beatles. I'll rectify that by posting this magical track from Rubber Soul. This could be one of Lennon's best ever songs:

Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I have just gone through all my posts in this thread and replaced all the dead links to videos that have been removed from YouTube with links to other videos of those same tracks, as nearly as possible. If people consider this thread to be worth keeping, maybe other people who have posted herein will wish to do the same. I can see some value in that - for those of us "of a certain age" (and there may be very few such folks on this board, I admit), it has been sort of a soundtrack to our lives. (During my edits, I noted that one song I has posted was the Jefferson Airplane's "Come Up the Years", which seems appropriate.) If the thread, however, has outlived its interest, then I suppose (as the title of George Harrison's first post-Beatles album reminds us), "All Things Must Pass". Anyway, for however long this thread hangs around, I hope it won't go away just because the posted videos are removed, when they can be replaced with links to the same tracks.
    On another board that I post on, we took to posting...

(Artist/Relevant Video Details)

... underneath the initial clip so that the future might be able to piece together just what we had been talking about.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'd also say don't be afraid to make a new post of song that got taken down.

Some songs are just so pleasantly catchy:

This song will probably be pretty much unknown to anyone outside the UK but I'd really recommend checking it out. So catchy and a bit in the vein of U2 at their best. This is Marillion from the early 1990's with then new lead singer Steve Hogarth just bedding in. Marillion aren't a band that I've kept up to date with but this era of the band was very close to my heart in my late teenage years. Both Seasons End and Holidays In Eden are delightful albums to me. Very British in their approach and of the time. Steve Rothery is a fabulous guitar player, very much in the vein of David Gilmour.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 10-25-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

And this is even better:

God that guitar solo....
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Some songs are just so pleasantly catchy:
    And others are just Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy!

John Bonham, entrancing performance of 'Moby Dick':

Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me