Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I discovered Cheap Trick after listening to their incredible "Live At Budokan" album in the late 1970's and thought they were cool. When they came to Philly in the early 1980's, I went to see them and they put on a terrific show. Oh, yeah, they finally made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. Here's the Tricksters with "Dream Police":

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-25-2016 at 03:07 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Given some of the prog rock love shown early, I'm gonna assume we have some Alan Parson's Project fans here too.

On stage since 1962. In spite of this song's title (one of their most popular) they are still around.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Given some of the prog rock love shown early, I'm gonna assume we have some Alan Parson's Project fans here too.

Good gravy...I never knew about the Isaac Asimov connection! Now I'm going to have to watch all of the Alan Parson's Project's videos. This is too cool!
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    Good gravy...I never knew about the Isaac Asimov connection! Now I'm going to have to watch all of the Alan Parson's Project's videos. This is too cool!
    Well, the titles of their first two albums were "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" and "I, Robot", so...

Astonishing Member

People think of Steve Katz more nearly as a record producer and musical arranger (especially for Blood , Sweat, and Tears) than as a singer, but he was in fact a gifted vocalist, as he showed in this 1967 performance of Steve's Song by the Blues Project:

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Literally just listening to this track on Planet Rock radio right now:

I misjudged Bad Company for many years. As a huge Free fan (I think that I'll have to come back to them), I always saw Bad Company as an inferior, deliberately-slick-for-AOR-radio version of them. I was wrong. Many of those old Paul Rodgers albums are pretty damn good. I have no problem in admitting that I was wrong in this case.

This is the title track from the band's third LP. They have recorded better songs, but they weren't on the radio and inspiring this post.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-23-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I really hope that this qualifies for this thread. It certainly does as far as I'm concerned:

This song is a highlight from Simon & Garfunkel's final studio album 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'. One or two people got around to buying that record.

It's a rather bitter number from Paul Simon, reflecting on Art Garfunkel (the 'Tom' mentioned in the song, they originally performed under the name Tom & Jerry) having jetted off to Mexico to star in a movie and leaving Simon behind in New York. Their relationship was very strained by this point. A year later they were history as a recording act, leaving us with five delightful albums.

I'll continue the folksy trend then with some Neil Young.

Invincible Member

Lou Reed doing Rock and Roll. I actually got turned on to this song by the Jane's Addiction cover.

Invincible Member

I remember when Shout At The Devil came out and I admit it...I was one of the many people who pooh-poohed them. The next album was released and the only song I could stand even a little was "Home Sweet Home." Around the time of Dr Feelgood my opinion of them started to soften a bit. Anyway, this is the remix of "Home" and the updated video from 91' (?). I actually enjoy it a lot.

For what it's worth, this song is starting to pop up more and more in commercials, etc

Astonishing Member

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers was a British blues band whose roster reads like a Who's Who in classic rock, as you can see here. Anyway, in 1970 he had a re-formed backup group, and they played the Fillmore East in NYC, recording a live album called The Turning Point which contains this infectious little ditty: "Room To Move"

Astonishing Member

A famous performance - Janis Joplin fronts her band, Big Brother and the Holding Company, in a rendition of Ball and Chain at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. Mama Cass Elliot apparently likes what she hears.

Last edited by seismic-2; 10-24-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: edited to remove dead link from 2016

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    A famous performance - Janis Joplin fronts her band, Big Brother and the Holding Company, in a rendition of Ball and Chain at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. Mama Cass Elliot apparently likes what she hears.
    I have the Criterion Collection of the The Complete Monterey Pop Festival, it's brilliant. Here's another from that glorious festival, "Hey Joe" by Jimi:

Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Invincible Member

Sailor Suits! Bubbles!