Page 10 of 66 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Eric Clapton going even more overboard than usual on applying the wah-wah pedal: Tales of Brave Ulysses from Cream's second studio album, "Disraeli Gears" (1967)

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Turning to a bit of Classic Rock at the moment for comfort after hearing about Carrie Fisher's death (fuck you 2016!) and I've been drawn to the Holy Trinity of Progressive Rock/Metal, the Canadian overlords that are RUSH.

How the hell have I refrained from including these guys on this thread until now? They are up there with Led Zeppelin, Yes and Bruce Springsteen as my all-time favourite artists. Such an inspiring and varied discography that seemed to spend 40 years predicting the future direction of rock and then laying down some groundwork in advance. I'm actually listening to them live in Dallas a few years ago but present the title track of their 2nd album 'Fly By Night':

Maybe I should have included the track 'By-Tor & The Snow Dog'. If only for it's opening line....'The Tobes Of Hades Lit By Flickering Torchlight'. Never did find out what the 'tobes' of Hades were....

Astonishing Member

A sad tune about loss at Christmas time: River, from Joni Mitchell's 1971 album titled simply "Blue"

Last edited by seismic-2; 10-24-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Edited to remove dead link from 2016

Lemmy died a year ago today. Therefore, in his honour, I had to post this particular ditty. It's one of the more obscure numbers from Motorhead's vast body of work. Maybe some of you have heard it before?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Lemmy died a year ago today. Therefore, in his honour, I had to post this particular ditty. It's one of the more obscure numbers from Motorhead's vast body of work. Maybe some of you have heard it before?

Dude...Motorhead rules

Invincible Member

Guilty pleasure. I was never an Extreme fan but I like this song a lot.

I also like the opening riff and the way the Singer sings the first line for the song "Mutha." There's a video on youtube of a version before(?) Nuno Bettencourt joined the band.

Astonishing Member

2016 was a cruel, cruel year. We have lost heroes.

Last edited by seismic-2; 10-24-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Edited to remove dead link from 2016

We've made it ten pages without referencing anything from the 90's. I am here to change that. Everything from 1997 and earlier is going to be twenty years old or older, and it's time these songs got their due.

However, instead of going with a predictable choice (like, say, anything from Nirvana's "Nevermind" album among other things), I'm going to go with the second song I can remember hearing in my life (since it's a much more appropriate entry song than the first). The opening track and first single for the classic album "Sixteen Stone" by Bush, "Everything Zen", which charted as high as number two on the Modern Rock chart and has been a staple on alternative and "active" rock stations since. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    We've made it ten pages without referencing anything from the 90's. I am here to change that. Everything from 1997 and earlier is going to be twenty years old or older, and it's time these songs got their due.

However, instead of going with a predictable choice (like, say, anything from Nirvana's "Nevermind" album among other things), I'm going to go with the second song I can remember hearing in my life (since it's a much more appropriate entry song than the first). The opening track and first single for the classic album "Sixteen Stone" by Bush, "Everything Zen", which charted as high as number two on the Modern Rock chart and has been a staple on alternative and "active" rock stations since. Enjoy.

Hey bud...

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?88292-Classic-quot-Alternative-quot-Punk-Art-Rock-New-Wave-quot-whatever-quot

*shrugs* Bush fits into both of these threads IMO. I read the thread opener and it stated the rules clearly. And I thought I made my case for that song considering it charted on modern, mainstream, and active rock stations.

But whatever. Ozzy being Ozzy.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    *shrugs* Bush fits into both of these threads IMO. I read the thread opener and it stated the rules clearly. And I thought I made my case for that song considering it charted on modern, mainstream, and active rock stations.
    It's all good. I thought that the thread would be more fun if we kept it loose and not get too hung up on semantics. I myself have posted stuff like the Clash and Earth Wind And Fire in this thread. So yeah, Bush is fine. Someone starts posting Yo Yo Ma, we might have to draw the line though

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Turning to a bit of Classic Rock at the moment for comfort after hearing about Carrie Fisher's death (fuck you 2016!) and I've been drawn to the Holy Trinity of Progressive Rock/Metal, the Canadian overlords that are RUSH.

How the hell have I refrained from including these guys on this thread until now? They are up there with Led Zeppelin, Yes and Bruce Springsteen as my all-time favourite artists. Such an inspiring and varied discography that seemed to spend 40 years predicting the future direction of rock and then laying down some groundwork in advance. I'm actually listening to them live in Dallas a few years ago but present the title track of their 2nd album 'Fly By Night':

Maybe I should have included the track 'By-Tor & The Snow Dog'. If only for it's opening line....'The Tobes Of Hades Lit By Flickering Torchlight'. Never did find out what the 'tobes' of Hades were....
    Personally, I prefer 80's Rush. Presto, Power Windows, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, all that stuff is great.

Last edited by Overhazard; 12-30-2016 at 09:54 AM.

I'm a bit bored today so I thought I'd waffle on a bit about Queen.

In an interview many moons ago, W Axl Rose stated that 'Queen II' was one of his favourite albums and I thought 'Yep, you're spot on there William!'. Although they recorded good music throughout their career, in my opinion Queen hit a magisterial peak (pun intended) between 1974 and 1976. 'Queen II' was the closest that they ever came to full on prog rock, with it's fantasy and folklore related lyrics and it's division into a Side White and Side Black (as opposed to Sides 1 & 2). The loose gist of the album was a conflict between the White Queen (who featured in a song on the first half of the album, almost entirely written by Brian May) & the Black Queen (the second half, entirely composed by Freddie Mercury). Incredibly pompous and all the better for it!

It's incredibly serene in places but I'm gonna post the album's most up-tempo number, the thunderous 'Ogre Battle'. Opening Side Black it continues the album's vague 'sword & sorcery' theme. It's a Mercury track but is driven by an absolutely shit-hot riff by May. This is 1970's rock at it's finest:

And, to think, two years later Queen recorded an even better album....
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 12-30-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Personally, I prefer 80's Rush. Presto, Power Windows, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, all that stuff is great.
    Oh, yeah, I love that era too. I don't know about you but those 80's albums were actually my first introduction to Rush.

The lyrical themes put across over those albums (the increasing levels of technology and other manifestations of power in society, the Cold War, the hectic pace of modern life and it's eventual impact on the human body etc) had a profound impact on me as a teenager. Lyrically it's my favourite period of the band.

Then there were the millions of people left behind by this increasingly polarised and fast paced world:

Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-23-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's all good. I thought that the thread would be more fun if we kept it loose and not get too hung up on semantics. I myself have posted stuff like the Clash and Earth Wind And Fire in this thread. So yeah, Bush is fine. Someone starts posting Yo Yo Ma, we might have to draw the line though
    Oh I agree with you. Basically my logic is that if the song charted on mainstream/active charts in addition to alternative charts it counts. At the same time, yeah, Yo-Yo Ma is a bit too out there to qualify lol.

Just feeling that the 90's roster of rock is feeling a little "outshined". Nyuk nyuk nyuk.