Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Oh, yeah, I love that era too. I don't know about you but those 80's albums were actually my first introduction to Rush.

The lyrical themes put across over those albums (the increasing levels of technology and other manifestations of power in society, the Cold War, the hectic pace of modern life and it's eventual impact on the human body etc) had a profound impact on me as a teenager. Lyrically it's my favourite period of the band.

Then there were the millions of people left behind by this increasingly polarised and fast paced world:

Well, I first heard Tom Sawyer on the classic rock music channel on TV, it floored me. I had never heard a song like that before, then I heard the song again on youtube, and then I heard Freewill and it was all downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Well, I first heard Tom Sawyer on the classic rock music channel on TV, it floored me. I had never heard a song like that before, then I heard the song again on youtube, and then I heard Freewill and it was all downhill from there.
    For me it was "Subdivisions". That otherworldly, ethereal intro is the stuff of bliss and has never left my brain since I first heard it. Ever.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Oh I agree with you. Basically my logic is that if the song charted on mainstream/active charts in addition to alternative charts it counts. At the same time, yeah, Yo-Yo Ma is a bit too out there to qualify lol.

Just feeling that the 90's roster of rock is feeling a little "outshined". Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

I still have this album somewhere on cassette tape. Cassette tape!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I still have this album somewhere on cassette tape. Cassette tape!
    I always thought that 'Badmotorfinger' was Soundgarden's finest record overall. Chris Cornell sounds like an absolute monster on it!

I always thought that 'Badmotorfinger' was Soundgarden's finest record overall. Chris Cornell sounds like an absolute monster on it!
    The entire BAND sounds like a monster on it. Soundgarden has never sounded so driven or tight before or since. They were on fire while recording Badmotherfinger.

This is my favorite track from the album. Perfect workout music too, btw.

Invincible Member

Has anyone posted Cheap Trick yet? This is an earlier version of Want You to Want Me. I think it rocks harder than either the studio or Live at Budakan versions

Because I just watched the last episode of Breaking Bad.
    A better fitting song has never been used.

Last edited by Kirby101; 12-31-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Invincible Member

The Black Crowes from SNL. Although I haven't kept up with them in recent years, I think Amorica was a great album. The cover was banned in some places because it was an homage to an old Hustler magazine cover. "Non-Fiction" and "Wiser Time" are my favorite songs from this record.

I thought this was a Springsteen song for years before I found out the truth. Anyone else suffer this embarrassment? ^^;

Astonishing Member

2016 was a rather contentious and divisive year, but so was 1967, so this song from that year is a still relevant appeal for unity: "Get Together", from the Youngbloods' eponymous debut album

Last edited by seismic-2; 10-24-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Edited to delete dead link from 2017

Astonishing Member

White Bird, a tune from the 1969 eponymous album by the San Francisco band whose name is a good thought for the start of a new year: "It's a Beautiful Day"

Astonishing Member

Since the previous post was the song White Bird, it seems appropriate to follow it with Bluebird, from Buffalo Springfield's second album (1967). This is the "short" version (4 and 1/2 minutes), as opposed to the "long" version (almost 9 minutes) that appeared only on a 1973 compilation album.

Last edited by seismic-2; 10-24-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Edited to remove dead link from 2017

Invincible Member

If we ever do controversial album covers, half of them will be Scorpions covers

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If we ever do controversial album covers, half of them will be Scorpions covers.
    At least. One cover in particular would see me slapped with an instant ban if I attempted to post it on here. I'm no prude but that album cover is in utterly appalling taste. UK retailers wouldn't stock that record until it was repackaged.

It's a shame that Scorpions resorted to that. They could have simply let their music do the talking:

Invincible Member

At least. One cover in particular would see me slapped with an instant ban if I attempted to post it on here. I'm no prude but that album cover is in utterly appalling taste. UK retailers wouldn't stock that record until it was repackaged.
    It's a shame that Scorpions resorted to that. They could have simply let their music do the talking:
    Is the album you're thinking of Virgin Killers? Most of the other ones I can sorta dismiss, but when I saw that one, I was like, "What were they thinking?"