Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Is the album you're thinking of Virgin Killers? Most of the other ones I can sorta dismiss, but when I saw that one, I was like, "What were they thinking?"
    Yeah. There's poor taste and there's unforgivably poor taste. To be fair, I get the impression that it was more of a record company gimmick than anything else.

The 'Virgin Killer' album was banned in this country until they altered the cover to a shot of the band. I've only seen the image on Wikipedia. It's very presence on that site has also created considerable flack both here in the UK and beyond. It was blacklisted by the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation) in 2008 and UK-based internet users were unable to even edit the site for a period. Not the greatest moment in rock history.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 01-07-2017 at 01:31 PM.

I feel like I've derailed the thread slightly so will try to get it back on track with it's real intent, some shit-hot classic rock.

Please kneel one and all to the mighty Sabbath:

Ahhhh.........that's better.

I'm not sure how many Dire Straits fans would frequent CBR but I'm certainly one. And this is one of their greatest tracks:

Love that track.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

What did album rock in 1969 sound like? Well, it sounded pretty much like Neil Young and his backup band Crazy Horse in Down by the River, a track from his solo release "Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere".

Last edited by seismic-2; 10-24-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Edited to remove dead link from 2017

Patrick Bateman on Genesis (with the rude bits taken out of course):

“Do you like Phil Collins? I’ve been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn’t understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins’ presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group’s undisputed masterpiece. It’s an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer song-writing, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I’ve heard in rock… Phil Collins’ solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds… But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.”

I'm afraid that I can't side with Bateman on this one. My favourite period in Genesis history is certainly the 'artsy, intellectual' Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett era. Typified by tracks like this:

Astonishing Member

There must be a zillion and a half covers of Tim Hardin's ballad If I were a Carpenter, but IMHO Steve Marriott sang it better than anyone else, on this Small Faces' live performance over the BBC.

iTunes had classic rock albums for sale and I discovered I could complete Boston's greatest hits album for $2.73. I don't regret it for a minute. ^^

Invincible Member

Janis from the Dick Cavett show

Invincible Member

The first time I heard this song was from the live album with Bruce Dickerson singing. I remember thinking, "Aren't these guys from England? Why are they in an LA Jail? And what's a 'disco hop'?"

The first time I heard this song was from the live album with Bruce Dickerson singing. I remember thinking, "Aren't these guys from England? Why are they in an LA Jail? And what's a 'disco hop'?"
    Ah, classic Maiden.

The lyrics to 'Running Free' were written by Paul DiAnno, Maiden's lead singer at the time. He was a jack-the-lad type with a vivid imagination. 'Spent the night in an LA Jail..' can be put down to a bit of wish fulfilment as much as anything else.

I'll raise you:

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Ah, classic Maiden.

The lyrics to 'Running Free' were written by Paul DiAnno, Maiden's lead singer at the time. He was a jack-the-lad type with a vivid imagination. 'Spent the night in an LA Jail..' can be put down to a bit of wish fulfilment as much as anything else.
    I know some folks used to say that Paul was a garage rock singer in a heavy metal band LOL. I'll match your Bruce and give you Adrian!

I know some folks used to say that Paul was a garage rock singer in a heavy metal band LOL. I'll match your Bruce and give you Adrian!
    Yep, absolutely. Paul DiAnno was certainly responsible for giving those earlier Maiden records a refreshing, punkier feel.

Ah, Adrian Smith. One of Maiden's finest ever recruits. Janick Gers was great but I feel that the band's relative decline during the 90's was just as much down to the departure of Smith as Dickinson. A guitarist with a superlative style and top notch song writing craft. Some of Smith's finest ever work was on the 'Somewhere In Time' album. The solo on this track (also written by Smith) is stunning:

Last edited by WillieMorgan; 01-14-2017 at 01:41 PM.

You know, one night when I've got nothing else on I'm really gonna have to stick the headphones on and listen to every track that we've collected here in one go.

Classic stuff here folks!

T.Rex/T-Rex/Tyrannosaurus Rex/Marc Bolan is my most favorite classic rock.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Invincible Member

T Rex!