Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Here's Girlschool who was a all female heavy metal band from England back in the 80's doing 20th Century Boy. The "Meanwhile I'm still thinking..." line is a call back to Marc's hit Get it On which of course was him referencing Chuck Berry. Lead singer Kelly Johnson is wearing a t-shirt that says Stiff. Stiff was a record label that signed a lot of early punk rock/new wave bands.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    T Rex!

These are *most* of my T.Rex/Marc Bolan albums.
    Some of them look to be in rough condition because I used to carry them around in my bag to have handy when I went to work.

I could probably talk Marc Bolan for forever.
    The fact that he named his son "Rolan Bolan Feld" is just another piece of Marc's brilliance.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Astonishing Member

When it comes to "classic rock", this is about as classic as it gets: "Baba O'riley" (commonly and incorrectly known as "Teenage Wasteland") from The Who's 1971 album Who's Next

Last edited by seismic-2; 01-15-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Radar Sense Bitches !! Matt Murdock's Swagger's Avatar

Love the Who...one of the greatest bands ever !!

In a way I have gone backwards thru The Who's catalog. This song, which was their final hit, was the first song I heard from them. One hell of an epic intro before the lyrics kick in. It's been used in countless movies, commercials, and video games due to the chill yet layered beginning that leads into one of the most subtle yet cutting songs about two-faced people. Its even more brilliant because unlike many songs that deal with the subject there's no hint of a personal relationship gone wrong. Its written from the viewpoint of an observer, not a direct participant or a victim. Gives me the feeling it could almost be from God's perspective.
    Last edited by macattack; 01-15-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    When it comes to "classic rock", this is about as classic as it gets: "Baba O'riley" (commonly and incorrectly known as "Teenage Wasteland") from The Who's 1971 album Who's Next
    You could have chosen any track from that stellar album to showcase on here and it wouldn't have been out of place.

Hands down, this is the greatest thread I've discovered in my life.

You guys rock!!!

Astonishing Member

Looking back, I see that we've already posted 2 tracks from Jefferson Airplane's landmark second album, "Surrealistic Pillow". I hope I'm not being obsessive by now posting yet a third track off it: Today, a song that was played at an awful lot of weddings back in the day. The sentiments still hold up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Starmie View Post
    Hands down, this is the greatest thread I've discovered in my life.

You guys rock!!!
    I'm glad to see that you're enjoying it. I was afraid that perhaps those of us who were posting most frequently were becoming self-indulgent by posting songs that were of limited interest to anyone other than ourselves. That's always a danger with a topic that is so idiosyncratic as "classic" rock (one man's "classic" is another man's "trash"), so thanks for the assurance that some lurkers are just sitting back and grooving on the tunes.

Astonishing Member

Rock music lost a giant on Oct 29, 1971, when guitarist Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle crash. Four months earlier, the Allman Brothers had recorded a live set at the Fillmore East in NYC, including this rendition of One Way Out

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'm glad to see that you're enjoying it. I was afraid that perhaps those of us who were posting most frequently were becoming self-indulgent by posting songs that were of limited interest to anyone other than ourselves. That's always a danger with a topic that is so idiosyncratic as "classic" rock (one man's "classic" is another man's "trash"), so thanks for the assurance that some lurkers are just sitting back and grooving on the tunes.
    I certainly don't think that we've been too indulgent on this thread. Although there will always be genres of rock that we individually prefer over others, there's been a good balance on here. I think any lurkers out there will be enjoying clicking on here occasionally to see what's been added. Plus, what constitutes 'classic rock' is a lot more open-ended nowadays. During my childhood/teenage years rock music was incredibly clannish. No longer.

I'd like to just mention the demise of the long running UK 'Classic Rock' magazine. One of Britain's best selling music magazines, it nevertheless ceased publication late last year. The short-lived owners, Team Rock, went out of business and took both 'Classic Rock' and the even longer running (since 1983) 'Metal Hammer' magazines with it. This is a terrible shame, these magazines attracted readers and praise all over the world due to their high quality articles. I personally will miss my monthly dose of 'Classic Rock' magazine.

Sigh. Anyway, some classic Guess Who:

What better way to kick off the weekend than the first track off of the 25-year-old classic album "Ten"? This song always brings a bounce to my step, tho I prefer the 2003 remix that removes the rather strange intro that's at odds with the song as a whole.

I linked the original of course.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    You could have chosen any track from that stellar album to showcase on here and it wouldn't have been out of place.
    Right you are, so let's do that. Here's an appropriate track for an inauguration (not just for today's Presidential inauguration, but for every inauguration, for every office, everywhere, always): Won't Get Fooled Again

Invincible Member

It's funny cuz the original version about two and half minutes but the live version is like three times as long. My 2nd favorite Tom Petty song.

I actually love the crowd interactions in the various live recording

Invincible Member

Placing this here cuz I'm think Macattack would like it...joking Anyway, back in the day I had this on cassette but I also had the Sap EP on CD which is just as great with guest appearances from members of Heart and Chris Cornell.