Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Placing this here cuz I'm think Macattack would like it...joking Anyway, back in the day I had this on cassette but I also had the Sap EP on CD which is just as great with guest appearances from members of Heart and Chris Cornell.
    LOL its one of my favorite AiC songs indeed. You know what kind of classic rock I like lol

Sap is a great acoustic EP but my favorite AiC acoustic EP is Jar of Flies. Some amazingly emotional, layered work there. "Don't Follow" is my favorite off of that EP, a great example of the harmonies AiC was experimenting with but with a calm, reflective mood different from their usual material. Also notable for Jerry Cantrell singing most of the song instead of Layne Staley.

Last edited by macattack; 01-22-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    LOL its one of my favorite AiC songs indeed. You know what kind of classic rock I like lol

Sap is a great acoustic EP but my favorite AiC acoustic EP is Jar of Flies. Some amazingly emotional, layered work there. "Don't Follow" is my favorite off of that EP, a great example of the harmonies AiC was experimenting with but with a calm, reflective mood different from their usual material. Also notable for Jerry Cantrell singing most of the song instead of Layne Staley.
    I have Jar Of Flies as well. When I first heard it, I thought it was amazing.

Astonishing Member

From 1968: Eric Clapton and Cream rock out on a live version of his signature tune, Crossroads

Astonishing Member

Back at #169, I posted "Down By the River", a 9-minute track from Neil Young's 1969 album Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. Here is Neil (with his backup band Crazy Horse) performing a 10-minute track from that same album: "Cowgirl in the Sand". Those were the days when great rockers just picked up their guitars and let loose, for as long as they felt like.

Last edited by seismic-2; 10-24-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Edited to remove dead link from 2017

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

In that case, I'll make it a hat-trick of tracks from that classic record with this, the album opener 'Cinnamon Girl'. It's 'only' just over three minutes long but rocks like a bastard!

I love this track but I do hate listening to it on the radio. It has a false ending and, every time without fail, the useless DJ comes in early and talks all over the furious final riffage that comes crashing in and ruins the song for me.

Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-23-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Invincible Member

Angus is not in his school boy suit in this. But Malcom and the bass player ( Rob Bailey, Mark Evans?) are wearing guard uniforms. And Bon while not attractive, still has sex appeal ( if that makes sense).

Astonishing Member

Way back at post #120, edhopper quoted the lyrics of Traffic's The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys:

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    If you see something that looks like a star
    And it's shooting up out of the ground
    And your head is spinning from a loud guitar

Great, great band.
    so I'd say it's high time we actually posted that classic 1971 song itself, and here it is.

Sadly, the former King Crimson and Asia vocalist and bass player John Wetton died yesterday.

Asia were a band that flummoxed a lot of music fans. In spite of the fact that the original line-up were all alumni from legendary prog rock groups, Asia were comparatively uncomplicated in their approach. There were no 20 minute epics on any of the Asia albums and they initially prospered though relatively straight-forward hits such as 'Heat Of The Moment' and 'Only Time Will Tell'. The critics weren't kind, and the group were unable to even come close to repeating the commercial heights of their self-titled 1982 debut album, but they really weren't too bad. They were definitely a product of their time. I say 'were' incorrectly as they are still in existence. Their last album 'Gravitas' was very decent indeed.

Instead of an obvious example like any of the tracks from their debut, I present the opening track from Asia's third album 'Astra' (Asia were also known for producing albums with titles that started and ended in the letter 'a' - Asia, Alpha, Astra, Aqua, Arena, Aria etc. At least until they ran out of suitable words!). This is a good example of John Wetton's writing and performing talent, 'Go'.

RIP John Wetton.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-23-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

I'd like to just mention the demise of the long running UK 'Classic Rock' magazine. One of Britain's best selling music magazines, it nevertheless ceased publication late last year. The short-lived owners, Team Rock, went out of business and took both 'Classic Rock' and the even longer running (since 1983) 'Metal Hammer' magazines with it. This is a terrible shame, these magazines attracted readers and praise all over the world due to their high quality articles. I personally will miss my monthly dose of 'Classic Rock' magazine.
    Looks like I spoke too soon. In actual fact the magazines have been rescued at the 11th hour by Future Publishing. Great news. I will redouble my efforts not to miss a single issue.

Speaking of 'The Eleventh Hour', and of bands that have been very much a product of their time, here's a track from the UK rock group Magnum.

It's the first track from their fourth album. This could only have been released in the year 1983.

Astonishing Member

The Kinks were arguably one of the best, and certainly one of the most influential and longest-surviving (1964-1996), bands of the Classic Rock era. We could post any of a dozen or more of their songs that would belong in this thread, but this one is maybe my favorite: "Celluloid Heroes", from their 1972 album Everybody's in Show-Biz. Lots of people have set that song to video, and here's an example.

I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
    A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
    Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
    And celluloid heroes never really die.

I think most comic-book fans can relate to that!

Astonishing Member

A Grateful Dead jam as performed in the Manhattan Center in NYC on April 5, 1971): a medley of "Not Fade Away" (a Buddy Holly song from 1957) and "Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad" (a traditional song frequently recorded in the 1920s and 1930s).

Astonishing Member

On stage at sunset on Saturday at the Woodstock rock festival (1969): Canned Heat, playing On the Road Again

"And don't forget to BOOGIE!!!"

Speaking of boogie, hard not to with The Doobie Brothers. Vintage 1973!

Invincible Member

This song is from roughly 35yrs ago but I think it's still relevant today.

also the video is slightly homoerotic