Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    The strict definition of what actually constitutes 'Classic Rock' has certainly become more loose over the years. Almost like an elastic band that gets stretched further and further as the years go by.

For me, the 'real' Classic Rock years run from roughly 1967 to 1994. Not to say that there wasn't classic music prior to that, or since, but those years to me signalled a stellar leap forward in creativity and commercial success. The UK's biggest Classic Rock magazine covers bands from all the different genres of rock from those years, including the likes of Punk (which I'm not a fan of) and Thrash Metal (which I am). A magazine like that wouldn't have touched those genres a couple of decades ago. I suppose that's just the passage of time for you.

It's certainly a very clique-ish form of music. From the Mods & Rockers kicking off in Brighton in 1964, to the rivalry between Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin fans during the 1970's (a big deal here in the UK), and to Glam vs. Thrash Metal in the 80's. I always got on well with folks at school by being open to all those bands, I could listen to both Slayer and Journey! Rather than being repulsed by my Dad's record collection I actually found it quite inspiring.

Favourite band were always Led Zeppelin. Here's a track that does everything over the course of it's 4 minutes plus:
    When I was a kid, Led Zep was always on the radio. And I'll be frank, I was kinda meh on them. They pretty much symbolized "corporate rock radio" in the States. I was friends with a guy who was trying to start a band in the 80's and yeah, I remember seeing the infamous "Don't play Stairway To Heaven in this store" signs. As an adult, I learned to appreciate them. Rob Plant's "Big Log" however is awesome...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While Big Star have made it onto the general public's radar more and more as the years have gone by, Chris Bell's solo record is every bit as good.
    Whenever I hear Big Star I think Alex Chilton. Then I think this song...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Couldn't do this thread without an appearance by the Fab Four.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    This was awesome. What TV appearance was this from?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Isn't Rod being great a given?
    To me or you? Not at all. To anyone that sees Rod Stewart as either an old crooner or the man behind 'Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?' or 'Hot Legs' then maybe. He was much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    When I was a kid, Led Zep was always on the radio. And I'll be frank, I was kinda meh on them. They pretty much symbolized "corporate rock radio" in the States. I was friends with a guy who was trying to start a band in the 80's and yeah, I remember seeing the infamous "Don't play Stairway To Heaven in this store" signs. As an adult, I learned to appreciate them. Rob Plant's "Big Log" however is awesome...
    I actually got into Zep the old fashioned way. A mate lent me 'Led Zeppelin IV/Four Symbols' and 'Physical Graffiti' and I just went loco for them, collecting all the rest. My induction into their universe was independent of the radio or any other outside influence. Oddly enough, this was quite late. It was 1992 during an incredibly hot summer. I love 'Big Log' too. In fact that album, 'The Principal Of Moments' is still one of Plant's best to me. A bit dated to the 80's but still fabulous.

I set and hosted a pub quiz a couple of weeks ago. All the music was 1960's based. Purely for my own enjoyment I had to include this:

Classic Creedence. One of many....

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to a radio station news piece , the DJ claimed that Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen have started to talk again. That they are repairing the relationship since the last time they toured back in the mid 2000's when Eddie was tore up by drinking. This could lead to a reunion of Van Hagar again and possibly a new album. (Sammy's always about doing new music).

One condition I can imagine is Sammy will push for Michael Anthony to be brought back in. He has said Anthony was the perfect backup singer and bassist for the band and he brought him into Chickenfoot and his other projects.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    According to a radio station news piece , the DJ claimed that Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen have started to talk again. That they are repairing the relationship since the last time they toured back in the mid 2000's when Eddie was tore up by drinking. This could lead to a reunion of Van Hagar again and possibly a new album. (Sammy's always about doing new music).

One condition I can imagine is Sammy will push for Michael Anthony to be brought back in. He has said Anthony was the perfect backup singer and bassist for the band and he brought him into Chickenfoot and his other projects.
    That's interesting. I don't know the details, but the impression I was under was that Michael and Eddie fell out over songwriting credits and royalties?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Admittedly, I don't keep up with this sort of stuff, but where does Diamond Dave fit in? Or has he been kicked out of the band again?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

That's interesting. I don't know the details, but the impression I was under was that Michael and Eddie fell out over songwriting credits and royalties?
    I'd heard that too. That Van Halen were one of those bands that split the song-writing royalties four ways and Eddie grew resentful over Michael Anthony's share as the years went by. Whatever the reason, his treatment towards Anthony was pretty lousy. There's gonna have to be a lot of humble pie eaten if these rumours are true.

It's good to see that Eddie could possibly have realised that at least one of the two main VH singers still has his pipes but I always thought that there'd been too much of this:

Last edited by WillieMorgan; 11-20-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I'd heard that too. Van Halen were one of those bands that split the song-writing royalties four ways and Eddie grew resentful over Michael Anthony's share as the years went by. Whatever the reason, his treatment was Anthony was pretty lousy.

It's good to see that Eddie could possibly have realised that one of the two main VH singers still has his pipes but I always thought that there'd been too much of this:

I heard it was the opposite. That Michael was getting 25% but felt he deserved a third and sometimes 50% of the credit?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Admittedly, I don't keep up with this sort of stuff, but where does Diamond Dave fit in? Or has he been kicked out of the band again?
    Eddie and Dave made up a while ago. It's almost funny contrasting 60yr old David with the guy who was leaping about back in the 80's

I heard it was the opposite. That Michael was getting 25% but felt he deserved a third and sometimes 50% of the credit?
    Oh right. Yeah, quite possibly. Perhaps I'm remembering things the wrong way around then. Or I heard things wrong.

To be fair, although that album that the Diamond Dave version of VH recorded a few years ago really wasn't bad, DLR has been struggling badly live. He was never the greatest vocalist even in his prime. The recent live album recorded in Japan was difficult to listen to as the lead vocals were so poor.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 11-20-2016 at 12:55 PM.

The story was what Willie posted. Eddie grew tired of Michael Anthony getting the 25% of the royalties and money. That he really hadn't played a big role in the band since the Hagar years and that Van Halen III was essentially a Eddie , Alex and Gary (Cherone) album. Eddie proposed to Sammy in 2004 when they went on tour that he wanted to remove Michael Anthony then and place Wolfie in the spot.

Sammy told him no way would he tour with him. He likes Wolfie as he claimed , but felt throwing a teenage kid on stage in a tour like that would be the worst possible deal. That he agreed Wolfie could play with his dad on songs , but wouldn't let them remove Anthony. Once the tour was over and a couple years later a sober Eddie removed Anthony and did just what we saw.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Ultimate Member

The story was what Willie posted. Eddie grew tired of Michael Anthony getting the 25% of the royalties and money. That he really hadn't played a big role in the band since the Hagar years and that Van Halen III was essentially a Eddie , Alex and Gary (Cherone) album. Eddie proposed to Sammy in 2004 when they went on tour that he wanted to remove Michael Anthony then and place Wolfie in the spot.

Sammy told him no way would he tour with him. He likes Wolfie as he claimed , but felt throwing a teenage kid on stage in a tour like that would be the worst possible deal. That he agreed Wolfie could play with his dad on songs , but wouldn't let them remove Anthony. Once the tour was over and a couple years later a sober Eddie removed Anthony and did just what we saw.
    Hmm...Reading that actually makes me more disappointed in those guys than I was before.

Hmm...Reading that actually makes me more disappointed in those guys than I was before.
    That and the drinking Eddie was doing , was pissing Sammy off. In his book , Sammy brings up that Eddie at one early rehearsal showed up in such a fucked up manner ...he was stunned.

As Sammy claimed , Eddie showed up from drinking some kinda liquor that was rotting his teeth. His shoes had duct tape around them and he was like , I don't have anything left to care about as his wife was divorcing him at the time. Of course after the tour and all , Eddie checked into rehab. He has cleaned up a lot and newly married as well...