Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I thought of Coldplay, then I was like, "Oh wait, they started in the 90's too!"

It's hard for me cuz I'm sure there's some great bands out there, but I'm just not up to date on them. For instance, I'm just now starting to recognize Grace Potter. I'd seen the name The Nocturnals around but I never took the effort to check out their music until after seeing Grace signing with Govt Mule on a Fleetwood Mac cover. Not that I think The Nocturnals were an amazing band, but I do think Grace is a great singer and she's got a dedicated following. My point being she's been around for about 20yrs, but I didn't know about her. There's undoubtedly lots of great rock musicians out there that don't get the same hype due to changes in the market, changes in the audience and just how we consume media these days.
    That sort of thing can turn into a bit of a can of worms.

You take Guided By Voices...

While they do go all the way back to around the same time as the bands mentioned?

The latest version of the band only has a little bit in common with the band from that time.

Does that take the band off of the board if you are attempting to come up with a "Great Classic Rock..." band?

Personally, I tend to think that some of what they have done would put them squarely in that category if you don't lump them into the time that the initial band started in.

Past that...

There is some fairly obvious stuff once you step back from the "Well, does that even exist?..." take.

(Accounting for things from right around the time mentioned...)

- The White Stripes
    - Queens Of The Stone Age
    - The Raconteurs

That's just keeping it to bands that I would think that John/Jane Public would be aware of.

Extraordinary Member

Stevie Nicks - Julia. Recorded in 1981 for Bella Donna but to date has never appeared on any album or cd. It's an amazing song completely finished but for some reason, she's not interested in releasing it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Past that...

There is some fairly obvious stuff once you step back from the "Well, does that even exist?..." take.

(Accounting for things from right around the time mentioned...)

- The White Stripes
    - Queens Of The Stone Age
    - The Raconteurs

That's just keeping it to bands that I would think that John/Jane Public would be aware of.
    Hmm...Queens of the Stone Age I can see. But while the White Stripes and Raconteurs did good music and Jack White gets a fair amount of critical acclaim, do people think of either group as great BANDS, or do they think of them as "Jack White and His Amazing Friends"?

Invincible Member

Neil MaCarthur "She's Not There"...The Zombies version of course is a classic but recently stumbled upon this one and it's pretty fun

Allman Bros

I got to see Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit do this live a few years ago, before he retired it. Spectacular way to close a brilliant show.

Chicago when they were still the Chicago Transit Authority ( I'm pretty sure the real life CTA lawyers came after them) covering Spencer Davis "I'm A Man"

Damn, Peter Cetera was a monster on bass before he went and got himself neutered.

Not sure why we can't hear the drums at all for most of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Kiss Detroit Rock City
    A fast-moving song that is talking about why you should visit Detroit.
    So you can...die in a car crash?

Van Hagar! The Footage is not great, but the performance is spot on
    Jesus, listen to Michael Anthony on bass! Imagine if Eddie had let him do more than sit on the root note constantly on their original material.

Hmm...Queens of the Stone Age I can see. But while the White Stripes and Raconteurs did good music and Jack White gets a fair amount of critical acclaim, do people think of either group as great BANDS, or do they think of them as "Jack White and His Amazing Friends"?
    If people don't think of The Raconteurs as a great band, they damn well should.

Well all know the Black Crowes are influenced by the Rolling Stones, but here we see Rich Robinson taking it to new lengths, using his Telecaster to fend off a stage invader in a deeply felt homage to Keef's legendary performance in 1981. This was at the Palais Theatre in Melbourne a couple of months ago. No, I was not there, unfortunately.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Here's a question? Who was the last great Rock & Roll band? I think we had a few in the 90s, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day....but any new bands from the last couple decades will be considered great classic rock band? I'll let you decide what "great" means. I am not saying there aren't any, I just can't think of them.
    Thinking about this some more, these aren't bands that I listen to a on a regular basis, but they have a strong fan base who started in the last 20yrs, have a body of work, and their enthusiasts would consider them "great" ...
    The Killers
    The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
    Paramore

Having said that, I am a big fan of Karen O and Trent Reznor's "Immigrant Song" cover...

The only one I've heard of is the Killers. Don't know if even they qualify as a great band.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

The only one I've heard of is the Killers. Don't know if even they qualify as a great band.
    I was trying to open up the discussion, but still think of bands that started or became known post 2000 that haven't fizzled out after one record and have some acclaim.

I do think it's interesting that Dave Gohl started as a punk rock/alternative rock musician, but has sorta reinvented himself as carrying the torch for baby boomer era rock. In a certain sense Foo Fighters might be the last or one of the last great "classic rock" bands.
    Last edited by ed2962; 01-08-2023 at 05:53 PM.

Well, what's "Great..."?