Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Happy 67th birthday, Tom Waits! Not only is he a favorite of our live-action Natasha Romanoff, but he also served in the US Coast Guard. Here's "I Hope I Don't Fall In Love With You" off his debut album Closing Time:

Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Astonishing Member

One of the classic albums: The Velvet Underground and Nico, the band's debut album produced by Andy Warhol. This track is Lou Reed singing Heroin:

Jim Morrison was born on this date in 1943. That would have made The Lizard King 73 years old. Other celebrities who are 73 years old are Christopher Walken, Joe Pesci, Chevy Chase, Robert De Niro, and Malcolm McDowell. Does that make you feel old or young?

Here's "Love Me Two Times":

He was just 27 when he died. Now, does that make you feel old or young?
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Astonishing Member

Guitarist Greg Lake died yesterday (Dec. 7, 2016) at age 69, of cancer. Lake founded two influential progressive rock groups, first King Crimson and then Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. Here is ELP performing one of his best-known songs, From the Beginning.

Astonishing Member

Since Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature a few days ago (even though he didn't show up to accept it), let's recognize the occasion with a Dylan song: All Along the Watchtower, performed by Jimi Hendrix. The lyrics are believed to refer to a passage in Isaiah chapter 21, which begins:

Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise ye princes, and prepare the shield.
    For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth...

which seems appropriate for a comics book forum.

Astonishing Member

Actually, that same passage from Isaiah continues onward (talking about horsemen etc.) until it concludes with this verse:

And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.

which brings us to this apocalyptic song by Quicksilver Messenger Service, "Pride of Man". It was written by Hamilton Camp, the folk singer whom you may remember better as an actor in a lot of 1970s TV sitcoms.

Astonishing Member

Classic Rock with a Latin rhythm: guitarist Carlos Santana and his band play Black Magic Woman on his 1968 album

Invincible Member

This is my third favorite rock n roll movie of all time. I'm not a religious person, but I can watch the third act of this film over and over.

I know there's been a couple of updates with more modern versions of the songs and I can't sit through them...

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Since Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature a few days ago (even though he didn't show up to accept it), let's recognize the occasion with a Dylan song: All Along the Watchtower, performed by Jimi Hendrix. The lyrics are believed to refer to a passage in Isaiah chapter 21, which begins:

Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise ye princes, and prepare the shield.
    For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth...

which seems appropriate for a comics book forum.
    Jimi's version has eclipsed Dylan's at this point. Most folks consider his the definitive performance.

Invincible Member

Before Grace Slick was in Jefferson Airplane, she was in a band called Great Society. Here's an early version of Somebody To Love.

Invincible Member

Elton John singing Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on the Muppet Show

Astonishing Member

An appropriate addition to this thread for this week: Christmas Song by Jethro Tull, from their 1972 album "Living in the Past"

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Jimi's version has eclipsed Dylan's at this point. Most folks consider his the definitive performance.
    Definitely. Amongst the 'folks' that would stand by that statement is Dylan himself.

More Christmas related rock:

Astonishing Member

Since we lost Greg Lake to cancer earlier this month (and since Keith Emerson took his own life earlier this year), we should remember them with this Christmas carol written by Lake and performed by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer: "I Believe in Father Christmas"

Last edited by seismic-2; 01-16-2021 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Edited again, to delete dead links from 2019 and 2016

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

2016 continues to take and take. Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt died yesterday aged 68. A crying shame and on Christmas Eve also. I first saw Quo live in 1993.

They only ever had one UK No.1 but it was a belter:

Rock on Rick Parfitt. RIP.