Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Speaking of New52, I'm one of the few fans of the Guillem March CATWOMAN. It wasn't a great comic, but it had a very individual take on Catwoman, dealing with her younger self as a "danger junkie." I liked it better than a lot of Catwoman stuff where she hardly even dresses up in the costume; she's just like some Tarantino-wannabe.

I like IDW's disney comics more than I thought I would. I have a couple of their uncle scrooge trades, Donald Duck #1 and I also want to check out Mickey Mouse as well. They're fun and kid friendly, but they aren't "quirky" like lumberjanes, squirrel girl, and gotham academy. I'm not into quirky comics. I didn't think I was going to like the new archie, but it's okay. I want to try Jughead and Betty and Veronica. I also read the first two issues of Josie and the Pussycats, it's alright, but I don't know if I want to stick with it.

I also like DC's doctor fate. It read like a more mature version of Ms. Marvel, which I really enjoyed. Sadly it was cancelled, but at 19 issues, it lasted way longer than I thought it would.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I like IDW's disney comics more than I thought I would. I have a couple of their uncle scrooge trades, Donald Duck #1 and I also want to check out Mickey Mouse as well. They're fun and kid friendly, but they aren't "quirky" like lumberjanes, squirrel girl, and gotham academy. I'm not into quirky comics. I didn't think I was going to like the new archie, but it's okay. I want to try Jughead and Betty and Veronica. I also read the first two issues of Josie and the Pussycats, it's alright, but I don't know if I want to stick with it.

I also like DC's doctor fate. It read like a more mature version of Ms. Marvel, which I really enjoyed. Sadly it was cancelled, but at 19 issues, it lasted way longer than I thought it would.
    The second issue of Betty and Veronica won me over. It's not as funny as it's trying to be, but that's ok. I read that Adam Hughes said he's trying to channel Save By The Bell with the series and that's kinda close to what it is.

BANNED

A lot of the 2000AD strips that I grew up on would not be accepted by today's fandom.

Strontium Dog, Halo Jones and the ABC Warriors would likely be abhored by modern comics fans, but so would Zenith, Nemesis the Warlock and especially the Judge Dredd of the 80's and early 90's. Slaíne too. The Goddess Danu naked was unforgettable.

Pat Mills, the creative impetus for most British comics of the time, is a genius (and very left-leaning in a political sense, ironically). Alan Moore did Halo Jones. Grant Morrison did Zenith. You know the rest, probably.
    Last edited by Zodlike; 11-20-2016 at 04:04 PM.

I enjoyed Richie Rich well beyond my early childhood years. The stories were very inventive and fun. Now, I didn't read them regularly, just once in a while, so I wasn't hit over the head with the sameness of the stories.

I like Frank Robbins on Captain America, Batman and the Invaders.

I actually thought the Dingbats of Danger Street was kind of funny, in spurts.

The Boys by Garth Ennis..usually i avoid R Rated stuff but the story is quite compelling and wee hughie is a likeable protagonist
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

So we're basically talking about comics that aren't respected - or are hated - that we like?

The Dark Knight Strikes Again
    JLA: Cry for Justice
    Batman: War Games (not War Crimes)
    Identity Crisis

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zodlike View Post
    A lot of the 2000AD strips that I grew up on would not be accepted by today's fandom.

Strontium Dog, Halo Jones and the ABC Warriors would likely be abhored by modern comics fans, but so would Zenith, Nemesis the Warlock and especially the Judge Dredd of the 80's and early 90's. Slaíne too. The Goddess Danu naked was unforgettable.

Pat Mills, the creative impetus for most British comics of the time, is a genius (and very left-leaning in a political sense, ironically). Alan Moore did Halo Jones. Grant Morrison did Zenith. You know the rest, probably.
    In my experience all of those are very well-respected now, especially Zenith and Halo Jones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I like Rob Liefeld's stuff. I find he puts a lot of energy into his work, which a lot of "hot" artists these days don't seem to do.

I prefer the G.I. Joe comics that add more fantastic elements contrast the military aspects. I don't really like Snake Eyes as a character and I tend to think Larry Hama as one of the least interesting G.I. Joe writers.

The Adam West batman series is far more interesting than the modern Batman. (by the way, has anybody seen the new Return of the Caped Crusaders cartoon? It's fairly awesome.)
    Yeah, I get annoyed when people reflexively bash Liefeld. He has a rawness to him that, like it or not, captures some of the energy of Kirby if not the draftsmanship.

Astonishing Member

Whenever Comixology has a big sale on those 200-page or larger Archie compilations, I buy everything on sale, not only for the Dan DeCarlo material (of course) but also for the Dan Parent stuff. I have reprints of Carl Barks' Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stories in so many different formats that there's no excuse for buying them again when they are next reprinted, but I probably will anyway. Of course, those are considered "respectable", so they really don't fit into the category of "wrong" comics so much as just "different" comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Yeah, I get annoyed when people reflexively bash Liefeld. He has a rawness to him that, like it or not, captures some of the energy of Kirby if not the draftsmanship.
    You are the only other person I've ever seen that's favorable compared Liefeld to Kirby. I've always thought he had a lot of Kirby style energy in his works and designs... at the very least Kirby as filtered though Schwarzenegger and Stallone.

Stryfe gets made fun of a lot for hius design, but if you switched his shiny silver to dark blue, purple, or gold, I could easily see him apperaing in something like New Gods without anybody saying anything.

I love Identity Crisis with zero shame, especially the sequence where Deathstroke takes out the Task Force.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Gen 13 and Michael Turner's Fathom are two of my guiltiest pleasures. The stories are actually pretty entertaining once you get past the gratuitous fanservice. I get why it would be a turn off for most people though.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Gen 13 and Michael Turner's Fathom are two of my guiltiest pleasures. The stories are actually pretty entertaining once you get past the gratuitous fanservice. I get why it would be a turn off for most people though.
    I feel the same about Witchblade. I hope Top Cow eventually decides to relaunch/reboot it with less of a cheesecake emphasis, the mythology is genuinely interesting.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    I feel the same about Witchblade. I hope Top Cow eventually decides to relaunch/reboot it with less of a cheesecake emphasis, the mythology is genuinely interesting.
    There was a Witchblade anime I watched a few years ago. It was pretty good, but the fanservice was dialed up to 11 on that show.