Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Those two X-Men issues that Igor Kordey drew in days when the backup penciler failed to deliver after the original penciler failed to deliver? The two most exciting X-Men issues period, for me. The Cuckoos taking over Oracle. Beast and Jean defending the mansion. It just looks fantastic and thrilling.

Everyone else on the planet was disappointed or worse.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I don't know how long he could have taken it, but I really liked Chuck Austen's Eternal. It was basically a re-imagining of the characters, but I loved Kev Walker's art and I thought it was pretty good. i think after the 4th issue, it was announced that it was cancelled and it would only be 6 issues, but I liked how it ended.

I loved Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy because of the concentration of cool ideas and beautiful artwork by J.G. Jones. I think there's a lot there and Morrison basically gave Marvel a great origin limited series and character, and Marvel does not have a clue how to use the character. I would love a 6-episode, big budget, Netflix TV show.

I will try to go back and read as many of the old Image WildC.A.T.s and Cyber Force issues as possible.

I think X-Men #1 to #3, volume 2 by Claremont and Lee is the best X-Men story period.

I love Empowered by Adam Warren. I am eagerly awaiting the third hardcover collection.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I love Empowered by Adam Warren. I am eagerly awaiting the third hardcover collection.
    Empowered is a fairly respected series.
    BB

Invincible Member

Wanted by Mark Millar and JG Jones. A loser discovers that his father was a member of a secret society of super villains and he shares his father's natural ability for killing. Not only that but the villains have taken over the world and have been secretly running it for years. The protagonist joins the organization and becomes a successful person. That's it. Completely amoral, but that's the whole point of the story. Millar has said that it's not about a hero/anti-hero, it's "the villain's journey." It's actually well crafted and suspenseful and sorta works as subtle mirror image satire of the superhero genre.

The movie is terrible except for one scene that's funny out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The movie is terrible except for one scene that's funny out of context.
    I really enjoyed the film. It was completely silly and over the top - and not really like the comic - but it was fun in itself.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I really enjoyed the film. It was completely silly and over the top - and not really like the comic - but it was fun in itself.
    I liked spoilers:
    The scene where he blows up at the office. Especially when he smacks the guy with the keyboard and the keys fly towards the viewer spelling "**** you"
    end of spoilers But I thought the rest of the plot and script were an awful mess.

Alan Moore's Supreme and Glory, both, are almost my least favorite takes on either one. Glory definitely is. Duffy's Glory is so much better. And, Joe Keatinge and Sophie Campbell's! Those are boss comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy;2439664I will try to go back and read as many of the old Image [B
    WildC.A.T.s[/B] and Cyber Force issues as possible.
    Cyber Force, especially 90s Cyber Force, isn't really meant to be read so much as experienced. Introductions, arcs, none of these are necessary; it just throws you into a universe and you experience everything that's there. I can't really ever get tired of Velocity or her sister.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 12-12-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Invincible Member

I think Moore only did two issues of Glory? I liked them but I'm not disappointed that it was discontinued cuz we got the ground breaking Promethea right after. I agree I'm a big fan of Campbell's version as well.

I think Moore only did two issues of Glory? I liked them but I'm not disappointed that it was discontinued cuz we got the ground breaking Promethea right after.
    More than that, the bondage pinup stuff didn't seem to me nearly as witty as it seemed to feel to the author, himself. Moore's Supreme feels like a Superman reader writing a tribute book (even with super speed dog rape). Glory felt like someone who's never read Wonder Woman other than to sneer at it, trying to make it "relevant." The whole waitress thing, as well, struck me as a very pretentious gesture, rather than anything superheroic or empowering.

Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman is the only one I liked. I know a lot of people didn't like the origin change, but I didn't see how wonder woman having a dad would be a big deal. It's not like she was a daddy's girl.

I liked spoilers:
    The scene where he blows up at the office. Especially when he smacks the guy with the keyboard and the keys fly towards the viewer spelling "**** you"
    end of spoilers But I thought the rest of the plot and script were an awful mess.
    The keyboard bit was fantastic!

The plot was a mess, but the film was always more about the action. That scene on the train is possibly the most ridiculously over the top action scene I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Alan Moore's Supreme and Glory, both, are almost my least favorite takes on either one.
    Moore's Supreme is the only Supreme I've read, but I definitely think it's over-rated. The present day stuff was fun, but way too much space was devoted to the flashbacks.

National Flashlight Battery Inspection Day makes it all worthwhile though.

This thread was inspired by CBR poster Carabas by way of John Byrne. Basically, make a case for any comic that was either controversial or maybe just you liked, but your friends didn't. Talk about how the "banned" EC Horror comics broke new ground or maybe you actually liked nu52 Hawkman or want to defend R. Crumb. Maybe you think that Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme was better than Watchmen. Perhaps Brand New Day was needed in order to fix Spider-Man. Maybe you grew up loving Richie Rich but can't talk about it in front of your buddies who are Punisher fans.
    Most anything by Garth Ennis. I love his take on superheroes. By that I mean how much he despises superhero's - which I do so love about him.

Japanese horror comics. Gross, ugly, weird, tentacles & just plain disturbing. Why Yes! More of that please.

The only Archie I like are the Sabrina/horror books.

Cho & Milo. If they drew it, I'm there.

For the record, Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme is better than Watchmen. It's just not as influential or popular or universally-respected or (probably) in print right now.

But, I can prove it with math and diagrams and, y'know, love.

And, Giffen and Nocenti's Green Arrow is the only GA solo stuff I've really fully enjoyed that's been published in the last ten/fifteen years of GA comics.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    For the record, Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme is better than Watchmen. It's just not as influential or popular or universally-respected or (probably) in print right now.
    I've heard that opinion before. Having read both I don't see how anyone could think that.