Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Default Clean cut (a shaving thread)

Trimming my facial hair this morning got me pondering on shaving for a bit.

For years I only used an electric razor but while it was fairly high end it lacked precision that a non-electric gives. After that I spent some years using “high end” disposables (the ones you see commercials for) and canned shave cream. This was a nightmare to my skin and pocketbook. I started getting the cheapest of disposables and switched from canned shave cream to a brush and soap. This all worked much better and was cheaper but I started feeling a bit guilty about all my thrown away razors. I looked into safety razors and got myself an affordable one. At the end of the day (or rather, close to two decades of shaving) I find that the safety razor / soap* (you'll need a brush and maybe a bowl) to not only be the most functional way to shave, it's also the cheapest (a sharpenable straight razor [as it doesn't use disposable blades] would be a bit cheaper in the long run maybe I'll try it someday but it seems kinda imposing), best on my skin and most eco-friendly way to do it. How do you shave?

Men who grow facial hair, what do you consider your “true” face, the bearded you (since the hair does grow out of you after all) or the clean shaved (so you can see your features better) you?

Do you have a facial hair style you prefer? I tend to wear mine as “friendly” muttonchops.

What's the deal with the expectation that women ought to shave their armpits and legs? Where do you stand on this issue? Personally, I don't care either way but I find it really strangely off putting the way people tend to react to an “unshaved” woman. Seriously, there's something creepy about it to me that I can't quite put my finger on… other than the obvious sexism involved it just feels like something more covertly symbolically weird.

Any random shaving questions, comments, or thoughts?
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

BANNED

I just ordered one of these, and my maid will be very happy about that, I think:

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I just ordered one of these, and my maid will be very happy about that, I think:
    Huh? What?
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

A maid? haha that explains a lot.

Anyway...

Can't shave with a razor due to bumps. Sucks
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    Huh? What?
    Doesn't the pic show?

I usually shave with safety razor, soap, and brush. I keep a few cheapo disposables and canned shaving cream around if I'm in a rush.

My hair started thinning pretty much the day I hit 30 so I typically just shave it off and keep a short trimmed beard. I've got a Bevel trimmer I use to trim my face and Bevel Shave System for my neck line and contours to keep them clean and tight. Then I use Moroccan Oil with mint extract to give it a slight shine and cool scent.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Anyway...

For my head I use a Norelco 4100 (no guard) followed by a women's Schick Intuition to help with razor burn and a smooth finish.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 11-21-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post

I'm pretty sure my wife grabbed one of these for "me" as a Christmas gift.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Anyway...

I used to use Magic Shave. But I don't get bumps too often anymore. I guess I grew out of it?

I used an electric razor for years but always got bumps, this year I decided to shave my head due to thinning and decided to replace my electric with disposables and it worked fantastic. Far fewer bumps, clearer skin.

My routine is shave every other day, shave head once every four days.

I signed up with dollar shave club using their mid tier razor. Just that, some barbasol, and water and I'm good to go. Finish it off with some cooling after shave.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I shave with a safety razor. I have two of them actually. A feather razor with "butterfly" doors last year and a three piece perfecto razor I got a few months ago.

I decided to make the switch because cartridges were way too expensive (I once saw a pack of 20 Gillette cartridges go for $50 at Walmart one day) and I didn't like having to buy disposables every few months either. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to shaving with a safety razor, but I like it and I don't get a lot of bumps anymore. I use two different kinds of razor blades, Sharks from Egypt, and Astra's from Russia. I use cremo shaving cream and two kinds of aftershave. One with alcohol and another without.

I usually shave twice a week, than put the blade in a blade bank I bought. I'll probably have to get another one next year.

I usually shave with a cheapo disposable razor, unless I get too lazy and let it grow out. Then I have to use the giant electric razor I got at the thrift store, which is always a pain because it's impossible to control and sends little hairs everywhere. More power is not always better. I have to shave though, because it itches too much...just...so...lazy...

I'm definitely getting one of those shaving bibs. That looks awesome.