Page 66 of 180 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I have to say, one of the more interesting things Beyond Good and Evil did was a boss battle that ended up feeling like a lesser version of Panzer Dragoon, but also still the best thing they pulled of gameplay wise the whole game. In fact they pull that off so much better than the core gameplay mechanics you'll be playing with the whole game that it's actually really disappointing you don't get to do it more. And by more I mean more than once at the very end of the game.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Finished WET this morning. Mixed feelings. I've mostly been going through shoot-em-ups, if you couldn't tell, and while WET kinda fits the bill it ultimately resembles less a third-person blaster and more a Prince of Persia clone with guns in it. Which in itself is not a terrible idea - the issue is that you're still expected to do manual aiming while also pulling off showboating platforming tricks, and while it's not impossible it rarely 'clicks' and becomes second nature. When it does, it's great, and when the combat dies down and it's just platforming to worry about, it's...okay. Nowhere near Sands of Time but I've played far worse. Perhaps if so many important skills weren't locked to start with it'd be less of an issue, because once I'd spent some serious cash I started seeing better results...still, even when the mechanics ticked me off, the atmosphere and attitude kept me enthralled. A pretty straightforward revenge yarn with you controlling Rubi, a hard-drinking perma-angry bounty hunter, as she runs afoul of Malcolm McDowell and his endless legion of disposable underworld thugs, the game's (pretty impressive for the time) visuals are dressed up with a crackling film reel filter, and the soundtrack is all 70s and Latin-influenced rock songs, none of which I've heard before, all of which I loved anyway. It's clearly influenced by Grindhouse, especially the Robert Rodriguez half, although unlike the visually similar House of the Dead: Overkill, it's less a pastiche of that style and more a love letter to it. But yeah, it's a mechanically average game that elevates itself through art styling.

Since I feel like I've waited long enough to return to its world, I've started The Darkness 2. Very early impressions - not fond of Jackie's less silly voice, unsure about the new art style, very enthused to have Darkness powers that actually feel POWERFUL.
    It's been a while since I've played WET, but aren't you meant to be doing slides, jumps, and wall runs the whole time to basically keep you perpetually in slow-mo so you can easily aim (and use your auto-aim) during combat?

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    It's been a while since I've played WET, but aren't you meant to be doing slides, jumps, and wall runs the whole time to basically keep you perpetually in slow-mo so you can easily aim (and use your auto-aim) during combat?
    You're meant to, yes. Whether you can or not is a whole other matter.

The problem is that in order to aim you need to move the camera around, because chances are you'll have been looking where you were moving beforehand. So let's say you just did a horizontal wall run. You start firing and have maybe 3-4 seconds of slo-mo before you hit the ground, but take into account that you have to drag the center-screen crosshairs away from the wall and off to the side or ahead where the baddies are and you've really only got 1-2 seconds of aimed fire (and have no clue which target's being locked onto with the auto-aim) before the run ends, which isn't very much time, and not hugely helpful when you realize most enemies are bullet sponges and only headshots will accomplish anything fast. You might try to keep the chain going by initiating a slide as soon as you come off the wall, but because you're not looking in the right direction it's blind luck if the slide goes anywhere or just leaves you to run into a bit of scenery and come to a dead halt. And your sights will reset so you'll have to manually adjust them again.

To be clear, I still like the game, and its balancing is forgiving enough that these sort of difficulties rarely prevent progress. But I think it does a good job of showing why most Prince of Persia clones and the like exclusively rely on auto-aiming for projectiles.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

She has a crapload of those moments, almost one per chapter. One of them's during a car chase which is especially pretty.

R.e. flying in Lego games - it's not the controls that let it down, they're fine, it's the camera. When you're in an open hub the camera sticks behind you and steering is intuitive, but in an indoors or story level it hangs back to almost present the stage side-on and it screws with how you think directions work (since you have to input them based on where the character is pointing, not where the camera is looking).
    I'll have to disagree ...its the controls. The silly fucked up controls. Here is some instances I have came across.

- During the Parrot race to unlock Hawkman , you jump over the railing and hit X (PS4) and suddenly go flying ass backwards into the air. No way you can control how high you go , your suddenly jacked fucking into the air. Almost every character does this. By some weird fucking luck I unlocked Hawkman and that was a million attempts and some luck.

- In the races , the characters will be flying better and you can control them in the air. But here is where the controls fuck up again. Suddenly the characters will STOP. I mean Superman hits some rings and stops for the pure hell of it and your trying to get him to keep flying. Its so insanely dumb that almost every race has this happen.

- Its not just the races where the characters become so hard to keep going. During the VR Block Jump deal , the character your controlling by the regular run pad will stop and fuck up repeatedly. You have to use the regular arrow pad to move the character.

Its a solid game but the control issues are so bad. And the fact if you wanna get 100% on the game you gotta do these races and crap....it makes ya wanna throw your controller at the screen in anger. Or do this....

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

You're meant to, yes. Whether you can or not is a whole other matter.

The problem is that in order to aim you need to move the camera around, because chances are you'll have been looking where you were moving beforehand. So let's say you just did a horizontal wall run. You start firing and have maybe 3-4 seconds of slo-mo before you hit the ground, but take into account that you have to drag the center-screen crosshairs away from the wall and off to the side or ahead where the baddies are and you've really only got 1-2 seconds of aimed fire (and have no clue which target's being locked onto with the auto-aim) before the run ends, which isn't very much time, and not hugely helpful when you realize most enemies are bullet sponges and only headshots will accomplish anything fast. You might try to keep the chain going by initiating a slide as soon as you come off the wall, but because you're not looking in the right direction it's blind luck if the slide goes anywhere or just leaves you to run into a bit of scenery and come to a dead halt. And your sights will reset so you'll have to manually adjust them again.

To be clear, I still like the game, and its balancing is forgiving enough that these sort of difficulties rarely prevent progress. But I think it does a good job of showing why most Prince of Persia clones and the like exclusively rely on auto-aiming for projectiles.
    What do you mean "whether you can or not is a whole other matter"? It's extremely easy to go into slow-mo, and you've got no slow-mo meter (at least that I remember) to worry about. It's also extremely easy to aim while you're in slow-mo. You also have a lock-on shot with your other hand while in slow-mo, so you don't even necessarily need to aim at who you're trying to kill to being with. The problem you're talking about wasn't really anything I ever had while playing the game, it all became pretty easy to get the hang of for me in that opening tutorial room.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Got my PS4 working today, been playing Telltale's Batman Episode 1, which has a nice set up and usage of the various characters, and Oxenfree which I guess is like the Breakfast Club means Poltergeist. The interaction between the five character is great, brilliant writing and teenagers actually sound like teenagers unlike some games, and the horror is more the unsettling atmosphere than outright scares, which I think is more scary for me.

Anyhoo, hoping to play No Man's Sky finally today so I can see what everyone's moaning about... And then the Uncharted Trilogy, Far Cry: Primal, Batman: Arkham Knight, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Firewatch and revisiting some Telltale games again...

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    What do you mean "whether you can or not is a whole other matter"? It's extremely easy to go into slow-mo, and you've got no slow-mo meter (at least that I remember) to worry about. It's also extremely easy to aim while you're in slow-mo. You also have a lock-on shot with your other hand while in slow-mo, so you don't even necessarily need to aim at who you're trying to kill to being with. The problem you're talking about wasn't really anything I ever had while playing the game, it all became pretty easy to get the hang of for me in that opening tutorial room.
    Then I envy your skills, sir, because I never felt like I was getting on top of the system. Had some fights go really well and some go really badly, and there was little sense of a pattern to the ups and downs.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

And finished The Darkness 2. Very good. Hard to say whether it's overall better or worse than the first: for every improvement I have a complaint and vice-versa. Getting free run of Jackie's new mansion is cool...but I miss the pseudo-open world of before. The storyline's still gripping and expands on the Darkness' mythology...but it's a lot less built around its organised crime roots, which makes it a little less unique. Having only one Darkling and little control over it is a shame...but said Darkling is treated like an actual character rather than just a weapon with a funny accent, which is cool. In terms of outright positives, I stand by my earlier assertion that the Darkness abilities feel way more destructive and potent than they did first time around, and the unlockable skill tree gives you a reason to dole out heart-rips and fancy executions (whereas in the first game, 'levelling up' didn't really do much at all). It's been a while since I've laughed as hard as I did first time the tentacles dangled a man upside down before pulling his entire spine and skull out of his anus. Also, I really turned a corner on the art style after a while - it's a beautiful game, honestly - and while I'm still a bit 'meh' on Brian Bloom's Jackie voice, David Hoffman's work as Johnny Powell is a tour de force of cocaine'd gibbering, especially on the flavour descriptions for the relics.

Meanwhile, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood update: not going well. Panfoot mentioned a page or two back that the quickdraw duels are a nightmare with mouse and keyboard. He's probably right, and I'll add they are absolutely no better with a pad. I'm only at the second one and I'm already monstrously pissed.

New to the rotation are Star Trek, the reboot-universe tie-in that decided flying the Enterprise is boring and hugging cover while phasering lizard men would be an improvement (it's not actually that bad so far, I'm just sore over lack of spaceship), and Shadows of the Damned, because there's never a bad time for SUDA51.

Meanwhile, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood update: not going well. Panfoot mentioned a page or two back that the quickdraw duels are a nightmare with mouse and keyboard. He's probably right, and I'll add they are absolutely no better with a pad. I'm only at the second one and I'm already monstrously pissed.
    When I was getting frustrated by those parts I looked online and found some claims that if you had a quickshooter equipped for the duel it's a lot easier, and while I can't definitely say it was, it sure seemed like it as I was a lot more successful. Though be warned, it just picks whatever pistol is in the 2 weapon wheel slot, not the first one, so make sure it's there if you try.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Went back to Remote Playing Transistor on my Vita after I figured out what settings I changed that was causing the connection to drop all the time, and I forgot how amazing it was. Really wish it was available natively on the Vita like Bastion is so that I could play it on a train, but it's still gorgeous and fun.

Finally beat Bravely Second. Now back to Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker.

Just Completed Uncharted 4 A Thiefs End - Ending Was A dope But the story Was Cool Liked The Grapics One of the best Reminds me Of Last Of Us But I Didnt Like The Story Of Last Of Us game was awesome Graphics Were Cool story Killed the fun
    I Like Uncharted Story Until The End Was Less Fun
    And I Liked Final fantasy XV Just Started And Loved It
    Last edited by Black Goku; 09-01-2016 at 02:38 AM.
    To Kill All Mortals
    To Fix God's Mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I think i've beaten Picross 3D like 20 times at this point. I'm still mad Nintendo won't release Picross 3D - 2 over here for no apparent reason, Nintendo gonna Nintendo I suppose.
    In a kind of weird bit of timing, Nintendo just released Picross 3D 2 on the 3DS eshop. I believe we have you to thank for this.
    I can't play it though because I'm 400-some puzzles into Picross DS, and I'm just finally running into puzzles that are stumping me. Good times.

I did that some time out to play Her Story, which was a fun sort of game with it's non-linear narrative, but it was kind of disappointing. I guess being able to see the end of a story first limits a story's ability to deliver a satisfactory conclusion. Still, good to see FMV games making a comeback.

Resident Evil 2 and RE3 on PS1.
    I really love those games.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team
    Interesting game, I didn't like it at start.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Yea I play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RRT and Explorers Of Darkness 3 Years Ago was Fun Now mystery dungeon Super Is So Good And Addicting
    To Kill All Mortals
    To Fix God's Mistakes