Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I'm honestly just over barbara's bland boyfriends. And seeing as Penguin Jr is jumping straight to boyfriend status so quickly makes me realize this is gonna be a another bland romance.And I'll have to endure for a while it seems like. I miss the way Chuck Dixon used to develop and cultivate relationships.

Anyways at least there's BatBOP.
    I think the way Dixon handled and developed relationships is kind of a lost art in modern comics (especially with how decompressed and quickly paced they can be).

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    What's with DC's obsession with a pretty boy Penguin? urgh Gotham.
    And Telltale's Batman.

At least it's not actually Penguin .

Extraordinary Member

For many of us the Simone Batgirl series ruined Babs' character and Burnside was a welcome return to form.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the way Dixon handled and developed relationships is kind of a lost art in modern comics (especially with how decompressed and quickly paced they can be).

And Telltale's Batman.

At least it's not actually Penguin .
    The Telltale version is atleast a scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    For many of us the Simone Batgirl series ruined Babs' character and Burnside was a welcome return to form.
    I quite liked the vibe of Burnside. I just didn't like the dudes Babs got interested in. I like Luke but he and Babs' relationship needed to develop a lot more. It had potential but alas.

I believe there was a winning formula with Burnside but they just didn't hit it all the time and it was frustrating because I loved what they did in the first 5 issues.

I wasn't a fan of Simone's Batgirl. I believe she made the character way too dark and depressing. Then you have Burnside's Batgirl, the polar opposite of Simone's. Where Simone was dark and depressing, Burnside is bubbly and perky and loves cuddling and being young and hip. She's pretty much unreadable now, especially in the the Birds of Prey book. Looking at this woman dressed like a high school fashion victim next to characters like Black Canary and Huntress. It's an embarrassment to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I'm honestly just over barbara's bland boyfriends. And seeing as Penguin Jr is jumping straight to boyfriend status so quickly makes me realize this is gonna be a another bland romance.And I'll have to endure for a while it seems like. I miss the way Chuck Dixon used to develop and cultivate relationships.

Anyways at least there's BatBOP.
    If the ages could work I'd love to see them take another stab at Babs and Ted, that was a really fun relationship.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I wasn't Simone's biggest fan either. The grim tone of the book was just not what I wanted to see in a book that featured Babs. The thing is I think Burnside went a little to far in the opposite direction for me in an effort to get away from that grim tone and that didn't appeal to me either. I've been looking at previews as they have come and what I've seen has just been overly lame. Lame relationships and lame villains are not going to entice me to buy the book.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

.. Since the begin of Burnside I canīt see Barbara with the same eyes.. The opposite of Simone, and Barbara seems more immature... I can understand your opinion..

About Batgirl... According Newsarama now is a title who need help.. Batgirl(9/12)...

http://www.newsarama.com/31730-on-th...your-help.html

Batgirl sales this time last year, it's a decline from the character's historical sales looking back two, three, four, and five years.
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I actually really loved the Burnside Batgirl, the tone was lighter but the people not giving it a chance didn't realize that Babs there was more like Babs in most incarnations than she had been in the entirety of Gail Simone's run, where she was dark and broody and depressing, but even that wasn't Gail's fault as much as it was an editorial edict that all bat books had to be that way. Even Nightwing was like that for the majority of it's original run.

Rebirth Batgirl... nah. Larson lost all of the magic that the Burnside Batgirl had, like it had basically been flushed down some kind of drain. The art didn't really help, and I'm gonna give it a shot again with the new artist, but the idea of her dating Penguin's son is also kind of... what? These stories wouldn't even fit a different Batgirl anymore, except for maybe Bette.

Maybe in true Rebirth fashion it's time to make Babs Oracle again, and make Bette Batgirl.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

I would love to read a Batgirl comic again but Rebirth isn't it.

Batgirl is pretty much the only part of the Batman corner of the DCU that I don't like anymore. Like the OP New 52 Batgirl was my first run with the character and I really enjoyed the Simone run, but the Burnside stuff completely killed it for me. I tried the Rebirth book but it was still to close to the Burnside stuff for my taste. It is interesting that Batgirl and Batwoman have pretty much completely switched places in relation to interactions with the Batfamily, with Kate being such a big part of Detective and Barbara down to minor appearances in Nightwing.

BANNED

You can't be a Dominoed Daredoll in Doc Martens clunker shoes--get back in them yellow stiletto boots, Babs!

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Batgirl's sales may also be somewhat split by Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, which bears her name as well.
    I read Batgirl and the Birds of Prey for the first four issues (plus the Rebirth One-Shot), and it wasn't very good either. Stilted dialogue, boring plot, and horrible art. Maybe the Bat-Office was having a hard time coming up with what makes Barbara Gordon so great during the Rebirth brainstorm, and realized it was Oracle that made her so unique and memorable. Can't go back to that though unless they want to do Killing Joke 2.

Ultimate Member

I love Gail Simone, but I couldn't stand her recent Batgirl run. When I read a Batgirl book, I don't want nor expect it to be more depressing and miserable than a main Batman book. She's not that type of character and I'm not interested in seeing her as such. Well MAYBE Cassandra Cain, but that's about it.

Also I didn't find it to be particularly well-written or interesting either.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    It is interesting that Batgirl and Batwoman have pretty much completely switched places in relation to interactions with the Batfamily, with Kate being such a big part of Detective and Barbara down to minor appearances in Nightwing.
    Yeah same. I enjoy that Kate is getting more promotion and is been more ingrained into the Batfam mythos when she's previously worked independently. I liked when she was a lone wolf sort of thing but now her becoming more involved with the batfamily is a development I do look forward to seeing more. And then there's Barbara....she's supposed to have this rich history with all these characters more so than anyone in Detective Comics and has been there since Dick Grayson's Robin era and now she might as well be one of the newbies, except she doesn't actually have any relationship with any of the batfam. Like I don't mind Burnside as a concept but it is not worth this cost. Her character is so bland nowadays.