Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Hawkeye #5 Review/Spoilers

I moved the latest issue of Kelly Thompson and Leonard Romero's Hawkeye to the bottom of my stack this week as I was pretty sure it'd be a safe "save the best for last" choice and, yes, it was every bit as wonderful as I'd hoped.

Plotwise, this issue sees Kate teamed up with Jessica Jones on a missing persons case that has brought Jess to LA. Kate happily joins forces with her PI idol, taking notes along the way. Their investigation takes them to a swank mansion on Sunset Blvd where they find the person in question but that discovery only leads to more questions and a surprise appearance by a dragon (!) that they're forced to tussle with that subsequently escapes by flying off, leaving both PIs at a loss for answers.

That's the very briefest of descriptions of this issue's story. What drives this book is the incredible charm and personality that Thompson and Romero imbue it with. Their take on Kate is spot on and, as you might imagine, they're just as good with Jessica Jones. This is a winning team-up between these two characters. Both sassy, smart aleck female PIs but with Kate eager to learn from Jess, the seasoned pro. Jess is calm and collected where Kate is more driven by impulse and quicker to flare up in anger.

I love the very human scale of this book. This is not about battles to save the world or even the city. It's a PI book about cases that are small potatoes in a comic book world threatened with extinction every few months but that are compelling street level tales that still have serious stakes of their own.

I was impressed by this book from the start and now that it's on issue #5 and still going strong I think it's safe to say that this is one of those perfect meetings of character and creators where everything just clicks. I don't read everything that's out there but if I did, I'd be very surprised if Hawkeye still wasn't my pick for the most charming book on the stands.

If you haven't read it yet, give it a shot. This one deserves to stick around for a long time.

Aye I really liked it, especially Jessica's private-eye tips. Good stuff all around.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Spectacular Member Kelly Thompson's Avatar

some might say it's...TOO GOOD? ;D

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 2.29.13 PM.jpg

(panel from Hawkeye #6 - art by Michael Walsh & Jordie Bellaire!)

Glad you guys are enjoying it! Thanks for reading and for talking about it. Every little bit helps Kate to live another day!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post
    some might say it's...TOO GOOD? ;D

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 2.29.13 PM.jpg

(panel from Hawkeye #6 - art by Michael Walsh & Jordie Bellaire!)

Glad you guys are enjoying it! Thanks for reading and for talking about it. Every little bit helps Kate to live another day!
    Thanks for such a great book! I'll keep on singing its praises!

THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD.

Without a doubt my favorite thing Marvel is putting out right now. Thompson is just nailing these characters and entwining the mysteries around these cases so well. The art has been just so good, with the facial expressions being some of my favorites. And Bellaire's colors make it feel very warm and LA but also very purple-ish and Hawkeye. The whole team just seems to have a great sense of character, story, and setting, and I love it so so much.

And now we've got a DRAGON to deal with? I mean, c'mon. I can't wait.
    Last edited by teamhawkeyes; 04-10-2017 at 02:07 PM.

splodey (2).jpg

This is why Kate's the detective.

I do love that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    splodey (2).jpg

This is why Kate's the detective.

I do love that line.
    Haha yeah. Privat eye sure fits her character better than SHIELD Agent fit the other Hawkeye.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Loved the artwork. Walsh is so good.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Invincible Member

The only problem I had with the art was that in a couple of places JJ's face seemed a little inconsistent? Otherwise I think it's great. I really love the layouts.

Spectacular Member Kelly Thompson's Avatar

Hell yeah. Hawkeye is #1, guys! Thanks for all the love and support

http://comicbookroundup.com/

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 10.37.19 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post
    Hell yeah. Hawkeye is #1, guys! Thanks for all the love and support

http://comicbookroundup.com/

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 10.37.19 AM.jpg

Kelly, in my opinion this is one of the best books Marvel is publishing right now. Thank you so much for giving Kate so much love!

I never expected to like this book because I used to dread Kate centric issues in Fraction's run. Her PI cases in this book are really good though and the art has that Darwyn Cooke-esque style that I've been missing! GO KATE and thank you, Kelly!
    Superhero shows are trash

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Consistently one of my favorite titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I never expected to like this book because I used to dread Kate centric issues in Fraction's run.
    Same here! I used to roll my eyes when a Kate issue would come around in Fraction's run so I never expected to care about a Kate solo title but yet I freaking LOVE this book.

Extraordinary Member

I love Kate's PI adventure since Fraction's run.
    Also if you guys don't mind me asking, where is Lucky?
    I don't see him in Kate's solo or Clint's Occupy Avengers.
    I can only assume he is on Barney's little island?