Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If they're going to do the "Vong" I'd just rather see them go back to the root and do their own weird "Hellraiser in space" thing. I wonder exactly how far you could push that kind of thing under a PG-13? A couple years ago I would have said "not very far", but now, maybe it could be done enough not to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Anyway, I am sure that we are not ever going to see direct adaptions from EU novels or comics, no matter how much I would like movies or tv series based on Ostrander's various comics series, or a Tag & Bink cartoon.
    Yeah, although Ostrander's characters were sort of accepted into the film canon with Aayla and Vos cameoing or name-dropped in the films, and of course Asajj having a big role in Clone Wars, which is still canon.

However, when they were expanded on in stuff like Clone Wars and Dark Disciple, they were largely characterized differently, and their fates are pretty different too.

As for the Vong, I find that kind of unlikely. After the NJO the EU pretty much just returned to the basic Star Wars formula anyway-light side vs. Dark/Jedi vs. Sith/Rebellion vs. Empire pretty much with the Legacy novels/comics and the Old Republic franchise, and that's what Disney has done too. The best way to incorporate them would be as a minor threat, perhaps-with many of the same characteristics but not galaxy-conquering as the NJO did. I also don't see it woring in the movies, maybe in Rebels or future projects.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, although Ostrander's characters were sort of accepted into the film canon with Aayla and Vos cameoing or name-dropped in the films, and of course Asajj having a big role in Clone Wars, which is still canon.

However, when they were expanded on in stuff like Clone Wars and Dark Disciple, they were largely characterized differently, and their fates are pretty different too.

As for the Vong, I find that kind of unlikely. After the NJO the EU pretty much just returned to the basic Star Wars formula anyway-light side vs. Dark/Jedi vs. Sith/Rebellion vs. Empire pretty much with the Legacy novels/comics and the Old Republic franchise, and that's what Disney has done too. The best way to incorporate them would be as a minor threat, perhaps-with many of the same characteristics but not galaxy-conquering as the NJO did. I also don't see it woring in the movies, maybe in Rebels or future projects.
    Someone cool could always come along that basically wants to do the Cenobites and Berserk in Star Wars. I don't ever really see the Vong finding there way into Star Wars, (unless some fan of them ends up pitching a Star Wars movie) but I could pretty easily see someone playing with elements found within the Vong given they're basically Hellraiser aliens in Star Wars. There's already a Phantasm reference in a Star Wars movie now, which I never really thought I'd see. Would be interesting to see someone actually play with elements from the Phantasm films in a Star Wars movie, wouldn't be too hard to do something like the Tall Man as some strange Sith Lord; and a Star Wars villain doing the kinds of things Tall Man does would be pretty fucking cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Not that they put it in the paper shredder, but they are not using his outline, and he was quite pissed off about it (but seems to have come around since then).
    That goes into the rumor bin that Lucas didn't like Episode VII, when he really just commented that it had more than a few nods towards Episode IV. Naturally, fans took that and interpreted it across multiple websites that Lucas hated the movie with a passion. As far as Disney not using his outline, I think he more likely just shrugged and went on with his life.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Yeah, especially when it comes to Star Wars sometimes reactions can get blown out of proportion. There seems to be also a rumor that Disney doesn't want to do anything with the prequels, etc. which is pretty much highly inaccurate-TFA featured a few references here and there, with Ewan Mcgregor also doing a short line as Obi-Wan Kenobi. (Also I think, but I'm not sure, there's a slight reference to ROTS when Rey is having her force vision). Rogue One of course features Geneivene O Reilly and Jimmy Smits reprising their roles as Mon Mothma and Bail Organa (although Reilly's was cut in the final version of ROTS)....plus the new EU under Disney has had plenty of references-The Marvel Vader series being the biggest example with many PT references, but also a few in the regular SW monthly (even a Gungan showed up) and limited series (Shattered Empire visited Naboo with Leia and co. using Naboo fighters, and then of course there was the Anakin/Obi-Wan mini). Of course Rebels uses Darth Maul, but also established Kanan knew some of the council members apart from Yoda (who've made some cameos, although as dead ones), and of course it continues things with Ashoka, Captain Rex etc.

Although Disney's new films have of course been more friendly to OT fans, they still consider the PT at least canon to the saga.

I mean, I doubt we'll get something like say, a Jar-Jar spin-off movie, but the alleged rancor is sort of not there.

As for Lucas's reaction, Lucas I think knows much better than others that story outlines don't always end up making it to the end of production. If you go back to some of his original Star Wars drafts, they're barely recognizable (or even that comprehensible!) since he had to make a lot of sacrifices to get the final film made (A lot of his unused ideas of course, end up in the prequels since he was not as restrained).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-28-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    That goes into the rumor bin that Lucas didn't like Episode VII, when he really just commented that it had more than a few nods towards Episode IV. Naturally, fans took that and interpreted it across multiple websites that Lucas hated the movie with a passion. As far as Disney not using his outline, I think he more likely just shrugged and went on with his life.
    No, he said he didn't like the new movie. He said Disney wanted to do a retro movie and that he didn't like it. He also compared Disney to white slavers, which I'm sure everyone does to things they like.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, especially when it comes to Star Wars sometimes reactions can get blown out of proportion. There seems to be also a rumor that Disney doesn't want to do anything with the prequels, etc. which is pretty much highly inaccurate-TFA featured a few references here and there, with Ewan Mcgregor also doing a short line as Obi-Wan Kenobi. (Also I think, but I'm not sure, there's a slight reference to ROTS when Rey is having her force vision). Rogue One of course features Geneivene O Reilly and Jimmy Smits reprising their roles as Mon Mothma and Bail Organa (although Reilly's was cut in the final version of ROTS)....plus the new EU under Disney has had plenty of references-The Marvel Vader series being the biggest example with many PT references, but also a few in the regular SW monthly (even a Gungan showed up) and limited series (Shattered Empire visited Naboo with Leia and co. using Naboo fighters, and then of course there was the Anakin/Obi-Wan mini). Of course Rebels uses Darth Maul, but also established Kanan knew some of the council members apart from Yoda (who've made some cameos, although as dead ones), and of course it continues things with Ashoka, Captain Rex etc.

Although Disney's new films have of course been more friendly to OT fans, they still consider the PT at least canon to the saga.

I mean, I doubt we'll get something like say, a Jar-Jar spin-off movie, but the alleged rancor is sort of not there.

As for Lucas's reaction, Lucas I think knows much better than others that story outlines don't always end up making it to the end of production. If you go back to some of his original Star Wars drafts, they're barely recognizable (or even that comprehensible!) since he had to make a lot of sacrifices to get the final film made (A lot of his unused ideas of course, end up in the prequels since he was not as restrained).
    Isn't the only reference to the prequels in The Forces Awakens the line about Clone Troopers? Clones and the Clone Wars being something that first comes up years before the prequels in Star Wars.

The guy with the blue face.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    The guy with the blue face.
    I don't remember him.