Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Deathstroke issue #7 (aka the anti-Aquaman #6)

BANNED

Christopher Priest is great.

Deathstroke's a book I'm subscribed to but am holding out on reading until more issues are out. Maybe I'll make an exception for the two issues featuring Superman.

So.....few things:

-Superdad is dead. Long live Mr. El. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before!!!???

-I was already sure that I would've loved to have Christopher Priest write Superman. Now? I'd straight up sell my left butt cheek to have him on a Superman book or doing a Superman anything. For those wondering I'm saving the right one for allowing Landis on an arc and then King to have a full run.

-This retroactively makes Aquaman #6 look a whole lot less bad. Mr. El (I was dead serous about calling him that) acknowledges that it wasn't his best choice.

-I love me citizen of the world Superman. I love it even more when he still recognizes his Kansas roots.

-I will be buying this immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Superman.
    Excuse me friend, but the gentleman's name is Mr. El

lol, to the song "Speedo": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9uZvrsAoyE

"They often call me Super, but my real name is Mr. El... "
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'm down for Mr. El; we just gotta find something to replace Nuperman.

Yeah, Priest's great - even he can't make Deathstroke anything other than a completely crap character, but he's trying his mightiest and endearing me to at least one scene per issue, and his Batman was a great take. Really excited to see his Superman.
    Buh-bye

Always cool to see a lauded writer who's also good with Superman. All too often for odd reasons that's not the case.

And yeah, I'm cool with Mr. El, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I'm down for Mr. El; we just gotta find something to replace Nuperman.

Yeah, Priest's great - even he can't make Deathstroke anything other than a completely crap character, but he's trying his mightiest and endearing me to at least one scene per issue, and his Batman was a great take. Really excited to see his Superman.
    How's Rose in the series?

I'm not a Deathstroke fan, but I've always had a soft for Rose, even if she's just been a generic badass. It'd be great to see someone elevate the character.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    How's Rose in the series?

I'm not a Deathstroke fan, but I've always had a soft for Rose, even if she's just been a generic badass. It'd be great to see someone elevate the character.
    She's alright, I guess? She's at the center of a lot of the book's better moments, since the material of people reacting to Deathstroke and the physical and emotional wreckage left in his wake - ala Rucka's run on Punisher - really works, and with guests like Batman and now Superman, we've had some quality characters to get reactions out of. The problem is Deathstroke himself actually does show up to open his stupid boring mouth and remind us all what a tryhard third-rater he is, in spite of Priest's considerable best efforts to wring something worthwhile out of him.
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yikes. It's still bad, but it is the "anti-Aquaman #6." The enemy of my enemy, and all that.

- Deathstroke is a book I dropped even though I still like Priest and the art is stellar, because it just isn't a book that suits him. The supporting cast was unlikable to me as of #3, and the blatant political commentary was defeated through the scumbag of a protagonist.

- No one else uses "Mr. El" because that's never been his identification. That's not a certain knowledge of the character, it's the opposite.

- Priest has gone on record, with his site, saying that he didn't like Superman and referred to him as "Super White Man," so I can't frankly say I see a respect implied that was lacking with Abnett. Who had Arthur later stick up for Superman when Mera threw a jab.

- choosing to not answer to the government because it strained his relationship with Arthur isn't making a political stand, it's the fear of being burned again. Dancing around the idea of taking in Deathstroke doesn't fit either which is probably why we see him in action when he's told to do his effing job. Of course,
    spoilers:
    He literally does nothing else until the last page, so if you buy this issue just for Superman, you have nothing and will have to wait again. I just bought a comic I decided to drop out of that curiosity. Oh well.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I always wondered the same thing. Is there an in-continuity reason why the other super-heroes have never brought in Deathstroke? Or is it just a "we want to keep mining him for stories" type of thing?
    Assassinate Putin!

It's gonna be next issue that we get to really see Mr. El, guys.

Still enjoyed Superman here more than I did anywhere else this week. I still personally really enjoy the DS book on it's own, so I was following this anyway lol
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-23-2016 at 11:06 AM.

BANNED

"... Soldiers are killers."

*mic drop*

Love it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's a mic drop because she shut that clumsy non sequitur down. "Soldiers are killers" makes no sense in the context of apprehending the world's deadliest assassin. More succinct would have been Superman clarifying that while he's not obligated to the US government, he'd do the job so that normal soldiers weren't sent out and killed (by the world's deadliest assassin) in vain. Instead he decides to push back a little only to do what he's told anyway.

"Flash, do we need bank robbers? "
    "Execs rob banks, too."
    "... go stop Captain Cold, you goof."