View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars!

26 39.39%
  • 4 Stars.

10 15.15%
  • 3 Stars.

7 10.61%
  • 2 Stars.

6 9.09%
  • 1 Star...

17 25.76%
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #11 SPOILERS & DISCUSSION

Well, this was quite a conclusion to "The Lies." My initial thoughts:

Let's begin with Etta's subplot. I love that she chased after Sasha. I do find it odd that Veronica Cale, being as big a bigshot as she considers herself to be, would be the one to get the briefcase and not one of her underlings. I will say that I'm liking Cale more this time around than I did during Rucka's first run.

Now, Themyscira. I *love* that Steve points out that he can't find Philippus (and Castalia). It greatly surprised me seeing Rucka completely undoing what Azzarello and Finch had done in the New 52, but I'm definitely okay with it. I do hope it doesn't take too long for Diana to piece herself back together, but her world did just shatter. I wish we at least got a hint of what caused the Lies. Circe? The Duke of Deception? Doctor Psycho? Not even a slight hint...

What did everyone else think?

BANNED

I'm kinda 'ehh...' about it really. And a big part of that is that I really don't like this idea about one writer making previous writers efforts completely non-existent as it continues to be implied to be doing. I didn't like it when Jeff Lemire basically killed everything added to the Green Arrow world when he started his run, regardless of how poor it had been or how great it became... and the same is true here. You as a writer do not have an obligation to wipe out other people's work just because you come in later on, when you have the option of just pretending it's not there.
    Now I am sure Azzarello doesn't care that much about his contribution being wiped out now, but I really do think it's a massive sign of disrespect from one writer to another to do something like this.

On the other hand, it still looks good... Godwatch is still nothing, yet, hopefully it will get there. And I still have a small hope that the Themyscira found is the only illusion and that the other Themyscira is still out there somewhere... also just to explain what the dozen or so other characters actually visited over these past 5 years.

Always Rakzo

Mixed thoughts about this one. On one hand, I thought this was one of the best-written issues from The Lies arc with less heavy-handed themes and more natural dialogue and characterization with the cast reflecting their emotions perfectly about the recent reveal.

On the other hand, I really dislike how this is basically retconning Azzarello's run as a lie. This wouldn't bother me so much if Azzarello's work wouldn't have been so good and redefining for the character. Quite frankly Rucka's run hasn't been as consistent in comparison to justify such change.

Better work from Sharp at least, less awkward characters overall.

Hey, maybe an "Issue #11(Spoilers)" thread is in order?

(Because those can't be the spoilers... The writing has to be better than something that played out.)

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Azzarello made Marston & Perez's runs a lie so I don't see how it's disrespectful for Rucka to do the same to him. Turn about is fair play especially when Azzarello's run did nothing to build up the character but rather tear her down along with her supporting cast. I think DC finally realized that Azzarello's set up wouldn't work for the long-haul because deviant shock value only sparks temporary interest and sales most of the time. Rucka has proven that a solid story full of good characterization and a noble, non-controversial hero can sell decent. I loved this issue's story and art. I'm eager to find out who is behind these "Lies". Hopefully it's not the obvious Circe but instead, Dr. Psycho, the Duke of Deception, or the Queen of Fables.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Azzarello made Marston & Perez's runs a lie so I don't see how it's disrespectful for Rucka to do the same to him. Turn about is fair play especially when Azzarello's run did nothing to build up the character but rather tear her down along with her supporting cast. I think DC finally realized that Azzarello's set up wouldn't work for the long-haul because deviant shock value only sparks temporary interest and sales most of the time. Rucka has proven that a solid story full of good characterization and a noble, non-controversial hero can sell decent. I loved this issue's story and art. I'm eager to find out who is behind these "Lies". Hopefully it's not the obvious Circe but instead, Dr. Psycho, the Duke of Deception, or the Queen of Fables.
    Technically I don't think so. Because it was a reboot. It did not riff off an already established continuity as he is doing now . All origin stories I would think have their own elements with similar themes. Not all are the same. So no Azzarello simply told his Wonder Woman story how he sees it with a new origin. It is not pre new 52 Diana he undid. That was long already done by DC before they rebooted. Rucka on the other hand is coming into new 52 continuity and undoing new 52 Diana.

I think I'm torn. I love what Rucka is doing but I also like some of things Azz did in his run. I don't mind the island being a fake. It just look like a place of savages. How would Diana be Diana growing up in a place like that? But I do like Zeus part of her origin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Azzarello made Marston & Perez's runs a lie so I don't see how it's disrespectful for Rucka to do the same to him.
    And no he didn't, because he had a Flashpoint clean slate to start from... but we've been around this tree before.

Regardless, while it wasn't perfect, it didn't need to be wiped out, only tweaked.

As for solid story... well this story is only fixing a problem it itself invented. Also this kind of approach leaves this story open to the same treatment from the very next writer who thinks they can do better or have a dislike to whatever this end product is.

Spectacular Member

Every new run we will have to endure another retconned origin. I wish they will just build on her character instead pressing the reboot button when they don't have any ideas.

I just want to know one thing.

Does all these lies and so forth mean new 52 Diana's events and feats amount to nothing? They never existed? Her battles with First Born, Hades, Strife etc etc? Even her battles in the JL and Superman/Wonder Woman or Action against Zod, Faora, Mongul etc ? Because new 52 Diana was God of War for a while as well and all that is now a lie?

And is he actually saying Diana was not in her right mind from the time she left the island? So Wonder Woman was kinda unhinged for years? I do not like that and I sure don't care that she couldn't see what was in front her face. It needed Steve to point it out. Her mother doesn't even look the same so why? And no one on the outside knew WW was mentally not functioning right? This is so confusing for me.

Sure if he wanted he could have redeemed the Amazons but wiping this all out as lies ...also to me reeks of being disrespectful. I was not a fan of JMS Oddessy and I am not a fan of this. If he wanted to reboot he should have. But I blame DC and editors for this. This is just another unnecessary extreme retcon up more retcons that WW has suffered over the years. Will she be better for it? I am not sure she will because he is going to leave in a bit as well. We have had so many origins in the past and even now. I don't think we even needed another new one to add to the many others. But what we do need is good story telling with a decent stable cast and better villains.
    Last edited by hellacre; 11-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Rucka has said that editorial didn't want him to jettison the Azzarello run (which makes since, since Rebirth isn't another reboot). So I suspect there's still more to this than there seems.

I feel that this issue is almost the oposite from the previous one.

The Good: fantastic nocturnal feel. Kudos to the colourist, and the subtle differences between the urban night and the natural one.

The Bad: Steve: "I've been on the island once or twice, and know something is wrong" Diana: "I was born and lived on the island my whole life, and can't recognize my own mother"; subtle dogs names are subtle; Etta Candy is above James Bond level in investigation and dexterity; easy robot doppleganger solution instead of mind control or blackmail

The Question: Isn't there too many questions to solve in one issue?
    Favorite books right now: Wonder Woman, Groo, Usagi Yojimbo, Super Sons

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Rucka has said that editorial didn't want him to jettison the Azzarello run (which makes since, since Rebirth isn't another reboot). So I suspect there's still more to this than there seems.
    That might be, but if this is going where it seems to... how exactly can anything from the Azzarello and Finch runs exist, how can Demon Knights? Deathstroke? Action Comics? And the others thats been on this island have happened if it's only ever existed as a lie... so what is the island they are currently standing on that everyone's visited?

I haven't read the issue yet but Bleeding Cool's recap said that Wonder Woman never returned to the real Paradise Island (Themyscira) since she left for man's world. If that recap is accurate that Diana never returned to the real Themyscira then wouldn't that discredit more than just Azz and Finch's run but big portions of the Simone, Jiminez, Loebs, Perez and even Rucka 1 runs?

Just curious.