Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Jupiter Legacy #5 - When are delay's too long or it's just the norm now.

I was curious today to see when the next installment was coming out remembering it should have been yesterday and saw that it's delayed again till September.b Thats almost 6 month delay when this should have been every 2 months. It's almost like the delay for Forever evil that pretty much ruin the pacing and even delayed other books. My question is to everyone how long have you waited for a book to come out or have you just dropped it to make place for something that is always on time.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/relea...iters-legacy-5

For me it is just something I have to live with. I don't like when books are late, but I buy so many series, that I just read something else while waiting. So far I've never dropped a series because it was late, only because I found it boring.

I'm guessing you've never read anything illustrated by Frank Quitely before on an issue-to-issue basis?

I think it goes to what's promised, and what's delivered. Jupiter's Legacy was originally sold as a bimonthly comic. Every single issue past #2 got delayed. Issue #3 was three months after #2, and #4 was five months? The series is now not only not "bimonthly", it's becoming semiannual. That doesn't really help sales, to put it mildly.

Not that this is the only Image title to suffer this fate. It's been well over a year since the last issue of "Danger Club", for example, and there's still no new sale date for #6, originally solicited nearly two years ago, though an announcement has been promised "soon" for about the last 8 months.

And the delays between issues of "Sidekick" just seem to be getting longer and longer.

And "Four Eyes" -- does anyone remember this series about a boy and his four-eyed dragon anymore? Beautifully written, beautifully drawn, but like certain "Batman" projects at DC, it always seems to be on the indefinite back burner. Joe Kelly, Max Fiurama. We're still waiting for more, PLEASE!

Unfortunately, it has become the norm, for the most part, there are Image/Independents books that do ship on time...

On the other hand, Jupiter's Legacy's delays are inexcusable, I mean, this books first issue didn't come out until a year after it was announced, then they say, oh, it's by-monthly, and Frank can't even hit that deadline, I buy the book, and I've grown to love and appreciate Franks art, which is super detailed, but damn...

And they plan to do another arc (#6-#10) after this one wraps, I don't see it though, you gotta have issue's in the bag before you even solicit anything with Frank...
    #MagnetoWasRight

All-New Member

Don't most of Mark Millar's books come out extremely sporadically? Anyway, I don't get why you'd want to drop a book because it's late. It's not like you're using money on it. It'll come out eventually, and then what? You just won't read it? Why not?

All-New Member

ohhh I'm not dropping the book , just frustrated it ruins the flow. I'm a Millar and Quitely virgin and not use to the delays hehehehe I was just asking if you ever dropped a book because of delays not specifically this book.

As long as the book is good, I don't see any reason to drop it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtl View Post
    ohhh I'm not dropping the book , just frustrated it ruins the flow. I'm a Millar and Quitely virgin and not use to the delays hehehehe I was just asking if you ever dropped a book because of delays not specifically this book.
    Oh, okay. Ironically, when I had to drop some titles from my pull list to save money a few months back, the shop owner suggested Jupiter's Legacy since "that shit's never gonna come out on time. Just wait for the trade, dude." And I was all, "Oh, okay. Makes sense." But then I thought about it later, and it doesn't make sense. If it's going to take so long, how would that save me money by dropping it? So, later I added it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    I think it goes to what's promised, and what's delivered. Jupiter's Legacy was originally sold as a bimonthly comic. Every single issue past #2 got delayed. Issue #3 was three months after #2, and #4 was five months? The series is now not only not "bimonthly", it's becoming semiannual. That doesn't really help sales, to put it mildly.

Not that this is the only Image title to suffer this fate. It's been well over a year since the last issue of "Danger Club", for example, and there's still no new sale date for #6, originally solicited nearly two years ago, though an announcement has been promised "soon" for about the last 8 months.

And the delays between issues of "Sidekick" just seem to be getting longer and longer.

And "Four Eyes" -- does anyone remember this series about a boy and his four-eyed dragon anymore? Beautifully written, beautifully drawn, but like certain "Batman" projects at DC, it always seems to be on the indefinite back burner. Joe Kelly, Max Fiurama. We're still waiting for more, PLEASE!
    Dream Merchant disappeared 3 issues into a 6 issue mini, no explanation from the writer whose happily pumping out comics for the big 2, Gaiman's Sandman Overture, Bendis' Scarlet.....HAWKEYE. Lots more examples I'm sure but I have a large pull list so I'm happy to wait if it's good & Jupiters Legacy has been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    For me it is just something I have to live with. I don't like when books are late, but I buy so many series, that I just read something else while waiting. So far I've never dropped a series because it was late, only because I found it boring.
    I with you. I read so many titles that I don't notice if one is late. I think I was into month three of Mind The Gap's five month delay before I realized I haven't read an issue in a while.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post

Not to mention Hell Yeah! by Keatinge.

I'm fine with the delays. Honestly, I could stand to see them more often; given how little it interacted with the larger DCU, I would have been just dandy with Final Crisis (not as delayed as remembered, it's worth noting) having gotten pushed back a couple times so JG Jones could draw the whole thing. Quality over quantity man: years later, the general audience doesn't think of Sandman as "that one comic that came out pretty slowly but was good" or Planetary as "the comic with 3 years between the penultimate and final issues", they think of them as "holy shit man, Planetary's so fuckin' amazing you guys, and Sandman, oh my god".

I mean, Jupiter's Legacy ain't exactly Planetary, but the point stands. Hell, it almost seems rushed as is; I would have happily seen #3 delayed further so that its crucial last page would have been up to Quitely's usual standards, rather than clearly pushed out at the last minute. Maybe, just maybe, things will speed up a touch now that Pax Americana is presumably done.
    Buh-bye

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Frank Quitely is worth waiting for, so I don't really care.

I'm sure it'll be amazing looking.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtl View Post
    I was curious today to see when the next installment was coming out remembering it should have been yesterday and saw that it's delayed again till September.b Thats almost 6 month delay when this should have been every 2 months. It's almost like the delay for Forever evil that pretty much ruin the pacing and even delayed other books. My question is to everyone how long have you waited for a book to come out or have you just dropped it to make place for something that is always on time.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/relea...iters-legacy-5
    I readPlanetary as it came out. It started as a bi-monthly book, and it went that wY for about a year. Then it was more like an issue every 3 to 4 months for a bit, and then finally they just came out whenever, with sometimes what seemed like a year in between. The series started in 1998, I think, and wrapped in 2009. There are 27 issues in total.

But the series, to me, is so brilliant that any delay was worth it.

Jupiter's Legacy started out well, but I lost track of when it was out and wound up missing an issue, so I dropped it. Maybe I'll get it in trade down the line.

This was always going to be a scheduling nightmare. It has Millar writing and Quietely drawing and they committed to a bi-monthly schedule from the get-go.

That said, it's all, 100% on Quitely at this point. Millar has said that all of his scripts are finished and have been sent to Quitely.