Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimates˛

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    This books continues to impress, and is exactly the type of cosmic book I am after.

On saying that, I do still want the restoration of the standard status at some point.

The Great Hunger must be upon him once more - after they have beat the big bad, and when he realises it's the only way. Tragedy follows triumph. It is the way.
    I saw suggestion that Galactis could have his story arc complete with this, and we just have another Devour like his daughter etc. Then no need to revert to status quo.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    I saw suggestion that Galactis could have his story arc complete with this, and we just have another Devour like his daughter etc. Then no need to revert to status quo.
    I hope they don't make his daughter canon.

Can somebody explain what Easter Eggs readers should have caught in regards to Troubleshooters characters/canon?

Hey, did everyone catch the King of the Hill Easter Egg namedrop?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I would not be in favor of anyone else becoming the Devourer. It makes for a more tragic characterization point if Galan has to accept the role of Devourer again. Either as some form of personal sacrifice, or because the TOAA requires it. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I would not be in favor of anyone else becoming the Devourer. It makes for a more tragic characterization point if Galan has to accept the role of Devourer again. Either as some form of personal sacrifice, or because the TOAA requires it. But hopefully it won't come to that.
    It has to be the personal sacrifice route. His place in the universe is set. He is Galactus.

The Ultimates also need to learn that their actions come with consequences. Upsetting things like this, even with the 'new universe, new rules' stuff....that can't just go on forever
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    thanks for your thoughts on the issue and for truing to clarify Marvel's skewed cosmic hierarchy. If there is omly one tribunal in the multi verse foes that men there is no omniversal tribunal? What is the difference between omnoverse and multiverse or are they used intetchangeably.
    Last first, Omniverse is one of those vague concepts that has multiple meanings. It includes any and every form of reality. So in theory it could involve us in the real universe, and Winnie the Pooh, right alongside DC's properties. In other words it is a kind of multiverse of fantasy not science fiction. In cosmic stories it is often just used to refer to a wider scope of reality than just alternative universes.

The important thing to remember about transcendent entities, they are both discreet entities in their universe and also a gestalt combination at higher levels. So the ideas are slippery and can be written in different ways without being technically inconsistent because any story version is just a facet of the cosmic perspective you would need to see the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    You think the Super Flow isn't what it used to be anymore?
    I think they are drifting the concept slightly. That doesn't make it different. It was always an analogy for radical perspective shifts and cultural tipping points. It had a paradigm based structure, and suggested singularity type events were a part of the dynamic universal structure of the universe. That is a kind of idea space that seems compatible with abstract constructs at war.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    The Ultimates also need to learn that their actions come with consequences. Upsetting things like this, even with the 'new universe, new rules' stuff....that can't just go on forever
    This is where I think the conflict will always arise in Ultimates. "Broken" is such a subjective term. Look no further than Galactus. If the design all along for Galactus was to become the Lifebringer, than he was operating outside of his intended design specifications as the Devourer. As the Devourer, Galactus is/was/and will always be broken. But in the eyes of Chaos and Order, the Devourer is actually the correct form for Galactus due to the balance (in their estimation) that role presents.

It's easy to dismiss Chaos and Order simply because they're from the previous omniversal order and they may not have any idea of what the true design is for the present one. Ewing realized that, which is probably why Chaos and Order are now Logos. I find it interesting that the "fix" that Chaos and Order elected to implement didn't involve them becoming the Devourer. That would have been the perfect way to restore their perceived notion of balance...because up until they became Logos, they served no function in the current omniversal order.

In my opinion, the tone of Ultimates is unabashedly optimistic like golden age sci-fi stories. I do not think it is going to end up like the good old lesson about maintaining status quo is important. You guys will be disappointed.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

In my opinion, the tone of Ultimates is unabashedly optimistic like golden age sci-fi stories. I do not think it is going to end up like the good old lesson about maintaining status quo is important. You guys will be disappointed.
    I think you are right. This material reminds me so much of the way Starlin played with the cosmic. It is joyful and grand sweeping. On the other hand, Galactus is possibly being cast as a messianic figure, and that my involve a grand sacrifice. But, I very much doubt we will get a reset button. Things will probably be different in the cosmic order by the end of things.

I won't be disappointed at all. Whether Ewing goes back to what was, or continues to push ahead with what could be/what will be, I'm fine with it. I'm just happy to see characters that I like along for the ride. Can't wait to see everyone's new "herald" powers.

Having withdrawals. Is it the 15th yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Having withdrawals. Is it the 15th yet?
    I honestly would love to see Ewing given free reign to write cosmic stories in Marvel similar to what DNA/Keith Giffen did with the different Annihilation chapters and subsequebt stories.

Mighty Member

Let Ewing write what Ewing writes. (Must not be greedy.)

I bought the first issue yeterday, and plan to be caught up soonish. Been looking forward to this for a while.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Mighty Member

Just read issue 2 the other day. (Forgive me if this has been covered or discussed elsewhere.)

Am I the only one who is thinking that Galactus will be reverted back to a world-eater after restoring the Ultimate time-line (or something similar)?

On a more basic note....dang, it did not take Order and Chaos long to turn on the Tribunal. (As soon as Order asked about the cosmic hierarchy, it was obvious that he was getting ideas. But, I was not expecting the follow-through to be that quick.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/