Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimates˛

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they managed to only pick character from the New Universe that I don't really like. oh well. I'm still on board for Blue Marvel and T'challa.
    I honestly didn't like any of the New Universe characters. Never purchased a single comic. But we'll just have to roll with it.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Technically the whole Adam Warlock as The Living Tribunal thing is a moot point. In the whole new Warlock and Thanos saga by Starlin, the point as to why Warlock became so powerful was that he became one with/absorbed an entire alternate reality and all of its' abstracts including an alternate Living Tribunal, which combined with the One That Is Above All's decree, he became the new LT for whatever reality this Warlock and Thanos story was involved in. The story specifically makes mention that there are alternate Living Tribunals (manifestations at least). Heck the whole X-Men Adventures reveal in terms of Marvel vs. DC showed that what we see of the LT is not to be trusted. I wouldn't put too much into this, the whole point of the LT was that he was essentially the one true god's representative, which would mean that the only concept above him/it would be the one concept there is no greater than, which would mean any upheaval in lower concepts is pointless to something of that stature. He'll be back like he always is.

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    What about the hidden name and third face of Living Tribunal? Is that an old thing or a new invention? I agree that even it is explicitly stated that Living Tribunal was killed, he could be resurrect in other form.

By the way guys you need to pick up New Avengers/USAvengers. In the last issue, it was literally stated that Thanos

spoilers:
    assaulted Project Pegasus because he wanted to construct cosmic cube gauntlets, then kill the Earth as a challenge call to the cosmic entities that he now enters the game.
    end of spoilers

#itsallconnected
    Reading stuff like this makes me wonder why no one at Marvel thought that Al Ewing would be a much better writer for Civil War II. All this Eternity War setup and hype is making me think this might even be a better event than Annihilation.

Dear lord, I already loved the cosmic tripiness of this comic, but reading the lore, and histories of this is just driving it further. Al Ewing has some incredible talent, I really hope he is granted at least one event.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Technically the whole Adam Warlock as The Living Tribunal thing is a moot point. In the whole new Warlock and Thanos saga by Starlin, the point as to why Warlock became so powerful was that he became one with/absorbed an entire alternate reality and all of its' abstracts including an alternate Living Tribunal, which combined with the One That Is Above All's decree, he became the new LT for whatever reality this Warlock and Thanos story was involved in. The story specifically makes mention that there are alternate Living Tribunals (manifestations at least). Heck the whole X-Men Adventures reveal in terms of Marvel vs. DC showed that what we see of the LT is not to be trusted. I wouldn't put too much into this, the whole point of the LT was that he was essentially the one true god's representative, which would mean that the only concept above him/it would be the one concept there is no greater than, which would mean any upheaval in lower concepts is pointless to something of that stature. He'll be back like he always is.
    I have to shamefully admit the last OGL and mini are still sitting in my to-read pile. I have been exploring Starlin's back catalogue instead. But I am fully expecting the usual Starlin caveats. He always bakes-in little nods to continuity while at the same time including little get-out clauses so other writers are free to ignore him if they want. I tend to think of his stories as interesting diversions that end up leading back into normal continuity with little obvious change to the overall narrative. You rarely need to consider his books part of an alternate reality, just things that happen to one side of main events.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąяĄ Tycon View Post
    Reading stuff like this makes me wonder why no one at Marvel thought that Al Ewing would be a much better writer for Civil War II. All this Eternity War setup and hype is making me think this might even be a better event than Annihilation.
    I agree he is a solid writer, I just don't think he is quite ready for a main event. He is good at certain types of story, but others can fall a little flat for me. His recent New Avengers run was a case in point, feeling a little too tightly structured for me, and consequently lacking a sense of peril or consequence. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. I really like this Ultimates run, but it hasn't quite escaped the confines of events and set-up to reach its full potential yet. I want it to take-on momentum, but instead it is moving along at its own steady pace. It has so much potential though, and the ideas are great.

BANNED

is the omnversal eternity bound by tribunals rulings or is the tribunal subservient to him also or are they both independent equals just aiding each other on requests?

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    is the omnversal eternity bound by tribunals rulings or is the tribunal subservient to him also or are they both independent equals just aiding each other on requests?
    The issue of hierarchy is an interesting one. The writers have tended to leave them abstract on purpose but The Living Tribunal is usually beholden only to The One Above All, and as such acts as a manifestation of God's will. Until recently TLT was seen as the sole Omniversal abstract so the concept of a multiversal Eternity adds an interesting kink. But in general, a manifestation of the omniversal creator's will would still have higher power than a purely multiversal construct. But this version of TLT may just be a slice of the Omniversal entity and therefore now replaced in this universe. I suspect not, because the Superflow seems to be being used as that abstract idea space that the various universes exist within. So the entity we knew of as TLT may just have been removed from the entire board.

Attempts by fans to provide a detailed hierarchy of cosmic entities have always amused me. Leaving them vague allows for shifts in how we think, and now the introduction of the Superflow into the main continuity has allowed that to have a tangible existence.

These are transcendent concepts. By their very nature they cannot be ranked or pinned down too solidly.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-20-2017 at 04:10 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The issue of hierarchy is an interesting one. The writers have tended to leave them abstract on purpose but The Living Tribunal is usually beholden only to The One Above All, and as such acts as a manifestation of God's will. Until recently TLT was seen as the sole Omniversal abstract so the concept of a multiversal Eternity adds an interesting kink. But in general, a manifestation of the omniversal creator's will would still have higher power than a purely multiversal construct. But this version of TLT may just be a slice of the Omniversal entity and therefore now replaced in this universe. I suspect not, because the Superflow seems to be being used as that abstract idea space that the various universes exist within. So the entity we knew of as TLT may just have been removed from the entire board.

Attempts by fans to provide a detailed hierarchy of cosmic entities have always amused me. Leaving them vague allows for shifts in how we think, and now the introduction of the Superflow into the main continuity has allowed that to have a tangible existence.

These are transcendent concepts. By their very nature they cannot be ranked or pinned down too solidly.
    thanks for your thoughts on the issue and for truing to clarify Marvel's skewed cosmic hierarchy. If there is omly one tribunal in the multi verse foes that men there is no omniversal tribunal? What is the difference between omnoverse and multiverse or are they used intetchangeably.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    suspect not, because the Superflow seems to be being used as that abstract idea space that the various universes exist within.
    You think the Super Flow isn't what it used to be anymore?

I really enjoyed The Ultimates Volume 1, but I did not like volume 2(Civil War) as it was basically Carol and friends. Is Ultimates2 like the former or the latter? I ask this because if its more like the former then I want and will catch up. If its more like the latter, I'll pass.
    Last edited by Askia; 01-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    I really enjoyed The Ultimates Volume 1, but I did not like volume 2(Civil War) as it was basically Carol and friends. Is Ultimates2 like the former or the latter? I ask this because if its more like the former than I want and will catch up. If its more like the latter, I'll pass.
    It is very much more like the former! Not as the Civil War issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriaco View Post
    It is very much more like the former! Not as the Civil War issues at all.
    Awesome!!! Thanks!
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

This books continues to impress, and is exactly the type of cosmic book I am after.

On saying that, I do still want the restoration of the standard status at some point.

The Great Hunger must be upon him once more - after they have beat the big bad, and when he realises it's the only way. Tragedy follows triumph. It is the way.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I honestly didn't like any of the New Universe characters. Never purchased a single comic. But we'll just have to roll with it.
    it's not Marvel's best stuff. but I have a full run of DP7, Nightmask, Starbrand, and Justice; all in preparation for them showing up in the marvel universe proper. I see potential in their powersets; moreso than the actual persona. I think they should give the Starbrand to someone like Wendell Vaughn; since they swiped his Quantum Bands.