Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Marvel's INHUMANS Origins, Explained by PRIEST & NOTO

Last edited by Winter_fury; 04-20-2017 at 12:25 PM.

...I wonder if they're gonna start retconning stuff to be like on the TV show.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Default Inhumans: Once and Future Kings Announced

Priest Returns to Marvel to Crown the Inhumans’ Once and Future Kings

In 1965’s “Fantastic Four” #45, legendary creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby introduced Marvel fans to a mythic secret civilization of superpowered beings known as the Inhumans. Eventually, we got to know their Royal family, including larger than life figures like Black Bolt, a monarch with a voice that can crack mountains; his insane mind controlling, brother, Maximus; and Medusa, the Inhumans’ fierce warrior queen. The Shakespearean-style drama of the Royal Family has been a pivotal part of the Inhuman mythos ever since, with readers gaining the occasional hint and glimpse of their past, though the full tale of how they came to be has yet to be told.

That changes this August when writer Christopher Priest returns to Marvel and teams with artist Phil Noto for the five-issue “Inhumans: Once and Future Kings” miniseries, announced today at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo. And while the pair have not yet begun work on their collaboration, the planned story will take readers back to a time just after Black Bolt underwent Terrigenesis, when a king now known as the Unspoken sat upon the royal throne of Attilan.

We spoke with Priest about returning to Marvel, his take on Black Bolt, Maximus and Medusa, and what life was really like for citizens of Attilan during the reign of the Unspoken.

CBR: It feels like an early tale of the Inhuman Royal family would be an epic, almost Shakespearean tale that involves some of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s most inventive creations. Is that what drew you to this project? And had you written the Inhumans at all during any of your previous stints at Marvel?

Christopher Priest: No, I’ve never written the Inhumans before outside of, perhaps, a brief cameo or two. I was actually surprised and challenged when Marvel offered me the project. I see this series as part of a bigger and more complex overall history. As I see it, we can either bore people to death by trying to be too much, or we can go the “Rogue One” route and tell a fun story which embellishes key points of their origin. I presume if the audience wants to see more of this era of the Inhumans, Marvel will respond.

Approximately how old is Black Bolt when you pick up with him in the first issue of “Inhumans: Once and Future Kings?” Has he undergone Terrigenesis yet? How similar and how different is he from the character we know now?

Neither Black Bolt nor Maximus are much like the characters they ultimately become. For one thing, Maximus is not yet Mad. He is a sane if hardheaded and strong-willed loyal brother, and the two are paired off for this adventure. Now, of course, Max’s unique character flaws give rise to certain rivalries and pettiness which will ultimately divide them but, from the beginning, they are Starsky and Hutch if not quite Quantum and Woody.

I’d prefer to avoid providing definitive ages because that sets off debates, but it’s fair to say the characters in this story are about the same age as the original Lee-Kirby X-Men. Most if not all have undergone Terrigenesis.

Full interview: http://www.cbr.com/interview-christo...B-P&view=lista
    "the planned story will take readers back to a time just after Black Bolt underwent Terrigenesis"

They better not be retconing when Black Bolt underwent terrigenesis. He went through it in the womb, hence his power level. So unless this story focused on newborn Black Bolt deposing the Unspoken, they're fucking with continuity.

Niffleheim

The Inhuman abundance is overwhelming I've not been a fan of Priest's writing but maybe i will make this an exception.
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-20-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    The Inhuman abundance is overwhelming I've been a fan of Priest's writing but maybe i will make this an exception.
    I'm actually more excited for the art, Phil Noto's Black Widow was GORGEOUS.

Can you imagine Inhumans in this style? I cannot wait.

Priest = Instabuy
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I like that first pic with Lockjaw and Maximus.

In fact, I never saw Maximus demonstrating a mental bolt like that before.

Priest + Noto is a winning team in-and-of-itself, but the exploration of the early years of the Royal Family, the moral ambiguity of their conflict with The Unspoken, and the complex relationship between Black Bolt, Medusa, and Maximus seems primed for a really compelling series .

It's going to be interesting seeing a younger Medusa before she fell in love with Black Bolt, since it sounds like she was far from the regal, reserved, Inhuman Queen she eventually became. Or at least, that was the last thing she wanted to be in her younger years.

Also of note is that Maximus is in his more modern look there rather then just going straight-back to his Kirby design.

Curious to see how the rest of the Royal Family will factor into this.

Ohmant.this is exciting!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

I'm pleasantly surprised they're acknowledging the Alpha Primitives, or that the Unspoken was a good king before Black Bolt overthrew him for wanting to get rid of the slave engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised they're acknowledging the Alpha Primitives, or that the Unspoken was a good king before Black Bolt overthrew him for wanting to get rid of the slave engine.
    The time period its set in is perfect to explore the alpha primitives, the unspoken is the most loved king of the alpha primitives pretty much ever. So they go hand in hand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Priest = Instabuy

This times 1 million

I wonder if to tease him they said "while Black is in his name Black Bolt is not black"

Niffleheim

Cool

The other important figure in Black Bolt’s life is, of course, his wife Medusa. Which aspects of her character do you find most interesting? What’s it like writing some of her initial interactions with Black Bolt?

Medusa represents the obvious flaw in a ridged caste system; she was born into a role she is genetically ill-suited to perform. Medusa was never going to host teas or perform ceremonial duties like a royal princess. From birth, she’s wanted to be on the front lines, with her male cousins, engaging the enemy, defending the realm.

At the stage of her life wherein our story is set, Medusa is terribly and completely sick of men falling in love with her. She is weary of all the speculative talk of who she will someday marry or who a prospective love interest might be. She’s a person, dammit, not a farm animal to be groomed and bred.

Our story presents several persistent suitors for Medusa, but she’s interested in none of them — including Black Bolt. She wants to be accepted, in the same way and on the same level as her male Royal cousins. The man who will ultimately win her over must first prove his acceptance of her as an equal partner in defiance of the stricter roles laid out by the Attilan caste system.

For me, the challenge of writing Medusa is to reveal her humanity and vulnerability without compromising her hard candy shell or writing her one-dimensionally “Hulk Smash!”
    I'm loving all this it looks like this mini will have a lot packed in to it
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Looks interesting. I have always liked Priest and it's nice to see him again at Marvel. Noto on art is just aces!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I merged the two threads about the same announcement.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES