Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimates˛

Default Ultimates˛

(For those who want a proper #1 thread)

I found this new start to be so refreshing. I love the way it breaks from the traditional super-teams as T'Challa alluded to. Its special. The way they get back together was clever and I didn't see it coming.

I'm curious how Anti-Man is going to operate with this group. Looking forward to it though.

Writing was great. Al Ewing doing what he does. I miss Kenneth Rocafort on art but I'm also a fan of Travel Foreman's so it's not a difficult adjustment. Brown did some special things with the coloring. Some cool psychedelic scenes they put together.

Overall, I loved it. This team has such an interesting dynamic that I enjoy seeing explored
    Last edited by Iconic; 11-23-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Mighty Member

I honestly don't think Dan Brown's coloring meshes well with Foreman's art. I'm not sure how you can look at it and think it does. I think it works for general settings and anti-man, but not much else.

BANNED

A good start. I loved the character moments, with everyone paired off (except MAC, but...yeah, she got enough ) and dealing with "the situation as it now stands".

I'm still not a fan of the art. I'm sure a lot of it is the coloring, but I noticed a lot of dead space, which doesn't fill the page 100% with drawn art, which kinda cheapens the experience for me. The first few pages, not so much (so maybe this is a give/take problem), but the latter pages...the space between panels seemed to get bigger, and then there were literal black boxes of nothing that didn't seem to serve a story purpose. IDK, I'm not an artiste, it just always #feelsbadman when I actually notice this issue.

This was fantastic. Ewing and Foreman killed it. I was disappointed at losing Kenneth Rocafort, but damn, Travel Foreman brings it.

experiment (2).jpg
    dream (2).jpg
    standwithgalactus (2).jpg

Foreman is phenomenal, and I am 100% on board with him as the new artist. He does the big cosmic stuff gorgeously. And he also does the quieter talking-heads stuff really well. He's great.

The writing is stellar, as always. The scene between Adam and Monica was really nice. Adam's speech about seeing the magic and beauty in the world was so good. I want to date him now. The scene between Carol and T'Challa was equal parts tense and hilarious. T'Challa's use of his old Luke Charles identity was great. "Ooh! speaking of creepy, have you seen Stranger Things? It is such a good show." Oh, T'Challa. You smart-ass.

And then America at the end. Hell. Yes.

So, yeah, this was fantastic. Definitely a book people should read.

Great issue. I think there was one panel that was a bit weird but the art grew on me as a I read it. Can't wait for more!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Mighty Member

I personally love the art and the coloring.

For a more grounded book, I could understand the complaints.

But this isn't a Super Hero book.

This isn't even a Space book.

This is a Cosmic book.

And boy does Foreman and Brown make a lot of scenes feel truly Cosmic.

I had apprehension about the coloring, but the effect on Anti-Man and Lifebringer sold me. It is just warm... and the scale feels cosmic.
    The romance is beautiful. And I am the kind of guy who rolls his eyes and gets bored everytime a hollywood movie spends some screen time on romance.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

The coloring is ruining the art here. It may be the nice on space and stuff but lots of that issue is about the characters and they ended up looking terrible most of thet time.
    But yeah, I liked the issue. I like more character focused stuff like that, and the MAC cliffhanger seems awesome.

It was a great start from the ending of the last volume. Rocafort will be missed. but Foreman had done a great job.

Foreman is one of my fav artists so the art was a big plus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Foreman is one of my fav artists so the art was a big plus for me.
    I totally loved his work in Animal Man and Justice League United.

Niffleheim

The art/coloring reminded me of dc books (not a fan and i know but Rocafort transcends) and Galactus is still my main draw to this book but T'Challa was surprisingly very fun to see showing another side of himself
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-24-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Yeah I literally LOL'ed at T'Challa here. And I enjoyed Carol really giving it to him. The Ultimates was her baby and he did screw her.

I enjoyed the art too. Especially his beautiful Monica. Looking forward to seeing more.

I really enjoyed it. Ewing is great as usual and Foreman's art is really unique and exciting. I just really hated the coloring, it looked amateurish :/

Fantastic re-focusing of the original goal of this team. I was surprised (pleasantly) that even the team acknowledged that they just became Carols goons.

I too was worried about the art change, specifically some of the color/rendering choices, but it really turned out to be just one instance. The scene at the cafe had some weird shiny plastic look to it, but outside of that, I was thoroughly impressed by the art. Glad this series isn't missing a beat and has gotten back to why I enjoyed the series in the first place.