Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Ultimates˛

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    To add in confusion, Superflow is Warren Ellis spin on his own creation for DC, the Bleed. The space between universes in the multiverse.
    Which is not far off of what Hickman was doing with it. But the most important element of it is that conceptual idea. In many ways it is an alternative view of the cosmic concept that in the Marvel Universe is represented by the Cosmic Entities. It is a more fluid and less concrete version, akin to consensus reality. The idea that the universe is partly shaped and changed by the ideas and concepts of those that live there, and that shifts in thinking and understanding are represented as a vast landscape through which planets move.

In newuniversal Earth is heading towards a structural element, in that space, a radical shift in thinking, or paradigm shift. It appears to be such a big change that everything will be different, but something deep is going on. There are suggestions that people are travelling back in time to change events or thinking, this is hinted at being a preparation but might be something more sinister. The other strange thing about the Superflow, it seems to have an artificial element. The huge station like structures that we saw in Hickman as Builder monitoring stations.

There is also a slight flavour of existential horror, akin to The King in Yellow, but that might be just me reading things into it all.

All of this is half remembered and based on comics that never got to fully explain themselves anyway, so it's not to be taken as definitive.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-22-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Which is the sort of stuff that's PERFECT for comics.
    If you can make it entertaining yes. I am not sure anyone has quite managed to use it all cohesively, in a way that really grabs attention. It is all a little bit cerebral and transcendental.

Lifebringer Galactus is on Thanos cover (new creative team) and Eisner Awarded series Unbeatable Squirrel Girl will be doing a cosmic level story that they haven't been able to. I am leaning towards no more Ultimates relaunch and Ewing gradually phasing out of Marvel cosmic side.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

It makes sense that USG would go cosmic, because so is U.S.Avengers, the team she's on. They're going into space to rescue Cannonball.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    If you can make it entertaining yes. I am not sure anyone has quite managed to use it all cohesively, in a way that really grabs attention. It is all a little bit cerebral and transcendental.
    Well, cerebral and transcendental is entertaining to me, so....(Yes, I know...it harkens back to the personal Golden Age, but....)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Counter Earth's previous most recent mention was in Thunderbolts. Jolt ended up there at the end of the original run, and she finally got back in issue 10 of this year's series, around 15 years later.
    That was a different Counter Earth, the one from Heroes Reborn universe created by Franklin Richards after Onslaught.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Well, cerebral and transcendental is entertaining to me, so....(Yes, I know...it harkens back to the personal Golden Age, but....)
    I am not saying those concepts can't be entertaining. Kirby managed it. But So far there hasn't been anyone who has really captured the Superflow idea with that kind of vividness.

I noticed that Royals by Ewing may be ending at #14 through the TPB preview.

We already know that Ultimates Squared is ending with #10 (renumbered as #100) and his other book Rocket is ending with #6.

That leaves only USAvengers with #11 solicited and #12 to be collected in TPB.

Then I did a search on Google and found some usual rumor/shitpost on 4chan. I don't want to quote it because 4chan rumor is like only real 2 out of 10 times.

Anyway, Ewing is either going to get a whole new line up of books to work on with Marvel, or he is packing up. Last I checked he signed exclusivity with Marvel in 2015.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Extraordinary Member

We already know that Ultimates Squared is ending with #10 (renumbered as #100) and his other book Rocket is ending with #6.

Then I did a search on Google and found some usual rumor/shitpost on 4chan. I don't want to quote it because 4chan rumor is like only real 2 out of 10 times.

Anyway, Ewing is either going to get a whole new line up of books to work on with Marvel, or he is packing up. Last I checked he signed exclusivity with Marvel in 2015.
    Ewing is a great writer. His comics are epic, his characters endearing and unique, and he works well with a great variety of concepts.

His only problem is that his books are weird. The man picks are some majorly unique and obscure comics that make even the most hardened Marvel fans scratch their heads and head to wiki. So while I love Ewing, I can see why his books aren't for everyone.

As Ewing's Marvel work has all been in the last five years, and I made a study of the whole of Now, I have actually read nearly everything he has written for Marvel. I have to say he is not a favourite. I would say Ultimates has been my favourite book of his by far. (Haven't read Rocket/Royals/Contest of Champions).

Ewing has said that he doesn't adhere to the A-list, B-list comic hierarchy. Which means that he picks obscure deep cuts and fan favorites that don't often get seen, but it also means that he doesn't have any big characters to lift them up.

His Mighty Avengers is maybe the most popular thing he's done, because it was a cast with lesser known characters, but was elevated thanks to Luke Cage and Superior Spider-Man being on the team.

I think most newer comic book readers wouldn't know who Monica Rambeau was if it weren't for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Ewing is a great writer. His comics are epic, his characters endearing and unique, and he works well with a great variety of concepts.

His only problem is that his books are weird. The man picks are some majorly unique and obscure comics that make even the most hardened Marvel fans scratch their heads and head to wiki. So while I love Ewing, I can see why his books aren't for everyone.
    That's the thing I don't get with Marvel (and probably DC) readers.

They are rebuted by characters they don't know when it's a Marvel comics, while a lot of them would happily try an indy comics featuring 100 % new and original characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Ewing has said that he doesn't adhere to the A-list, B-list comic hierarchy. Which means that he picks obscure deep cuts and fan favorites that don't often get seen, but it also means that he doesn't have any big characters to lift them up
    I'm not sure big characters help so much, unless the whole team has a "classic" line-up like X-Memberberries Gold

Mighty Avengers didn't have huge sales despite having Spider Man, as well as some popular B-listers like Luke Cage and She Hulk.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 07-27-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post

They are rebuted by characters they don't know when it's a Marvel comics, while a lot of them would happily try an indy comics featuring 100 % new and original characters.
    I doubt it is a big problem in this age, when wikis can fill in detail and subscriptions can place most of the corpus a click away.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post

I can understand why some readers may want to delve into an entirely new realm and mythos. Given my on again, off again, relationship with Marvel, I can't say that I blame them. But to me Marvel is the "Big Leagues." I'm not knocking DC, but Marvel is the only mythos that really matters to me. Naturally, when I don't see the type of stories that I want told in Marvel, I rail like no other. I could care less if DC or some indie is putting out the kind of characters and stories that would otherwise appeal to me. If it's not Marvel, it's not the same.

Wow. Ultimates just took the name to another level with #100. It really is Ultimates Squared. Super happy with the resolution. Very pleased that we still have Gold Galactus, and that Ewing felt as I did, that changing him back would be a betrayal of the potential in his character.

I really don't mind books coming to an end when they end like this.