Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Default Annihilation - pre-event reading ?

Hi everyone, back in 2006, Marvel relaunched their cosmic books with the Annihilation event.

I noticed that they plan to release this who period as part of their huge omnibus range, but I was wondering, is there anything that people would recommend be read before reading through Annihilation?

Marvel have a few trades coming up that are branded as 'Annihilation prologue' but I dont see the connection between what is in them and the event.

So, before I look to start reading, what would people recommend are good minis or issues to read from other series' that will get me in the right place for Annihilation?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

I picked up a based set of Annihilation: Nova from my comic shop a few years ago. The invasion is actually pretty sudden in-story, so having a lot of background isn't super necessary. It might be better to know who the characters are before you start (I didn't) but otherwise it's pretty well contained. Just a fantastic event in that regard.

ImprobableQuestion pretty much hit the main point that you don't really have to read any other series in order to prepare for Annihilation. You could check out the Thanos #7-12 ( collected in the Thanos: Samaritan TPB or get Thanos: Redemption TPB) and the Drax the Destroyer #1 -4 but these minis only really tell you what these specific characters were up to before the event and even then there are gaps within the story. The Drax mini is in the Annihilation Omnibus I believe so you would really only need to track down the Thanos issues if you're very interested in that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    ImprobableQuestion pretty much hit the main point that you don't really have to read any other series in order to prepare for Annihilation. You could check out the Thanos #7-12 ( collected in the Thanos: Samaritan TPB or get Thanos: Redemption TPB) and the Drax the Destroyer #1 -4 but these minis only really tell you what these specific characters were up to before the event and even then there are gaps within the story. The Drax mini is in the Annihilation Omnibus I believe so you would really only need to track down the Thanos issues if you're very interested in that.
    I agree with the Thanos recommendation.

Reading the Thanos Redemption TPB, especially the issues by Giffen are one of the best leadups to Annihilation you can get. It's not required, but it's great reading.

Incredible Member

Read in this order: