Page 68 of 134 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 2004
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    You know I have trouble understanding the hate for Lionel Richie. The Commodores was a fine band and sure Lionel's solo 80s stuff was poppy as hell... but the same can be said for so many artists who were putting out music in the same time. Why single out Lionel? I like All Night Long, I like Dancing On The Ceiling.
    I didn't really like his solo stuff until "Destiny."

I think a lot of the hatred may have had to do with 2 things:

1. The "Hello" video was... really bad.

2. His album beat Springsteen's "Born in the USA" at the Grammys that year. They actually changed the way voting worked after that, making it harder for non-white acts to win Best Album.
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 10-20-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Invincible Member

You know I have trouble understanding the hate for Lionel Richie. The Commodores was a fine band and sure Lionel's solo 80s stuff was poppy as hell... but the same can be said for so many artists who were putting out music in the same time. Why single out Lionel? I like All Night Long, I like Dancing On The Ceiling.
    I think it's because people remembered the Commodores starting out as a hard funk band and then group ended up as a cheesy pop band by the 80's. The over saturation of "Celebration" probably didn't help. So when Richie went straight pop some people were like, "Hey, I'm not going to get another 'Brick House'?"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I didn't really like his solo stuff until "Destiny."

I think a lot of the hatred may have had to do with 2 things:

1. The "Hello" video was... really bad.

2. His album beat Springsteen's "Born in the USA" at the Grammys that year. They actually changed the way voting worked after that, making it harder for non-white acts to win Best Album.
    Wait a minute...what?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Wait a minute...what?

To this day, some outlets consider this kind of "unskewing the vote" a good thing, at least occasionally

To the Grammys' credit, this committee has some value. It was established after Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down won Album of the Year over Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA and Prince's Purple Rain. Richie was far from the best choice that year, and his win helped create the public perception that the Grammys were cut off from what "good music" meant.

What the committee does and how it makes choices, though, remains fairly private. The names of members are kept secret, and the only journalist to get a member of the committee to speak (off the record) was Robert Hilburn in 1999 for the LA Times. In that article, the unnamed source explains how the group decides the nominees:

The goal in each category is to take the 20 nominations that the members send forth and get the list down to a consensus of the seven or eight that we feel are the [best]. When we get that consensus, we stop. Each member of the committee then fills out a ballot, which isn't tabulated that day. So when we leave the room, no one — including Mike Greene — knows the results. The only ones who know are the accountants when they tabulate it later.
    https://www.vox.com/2015/2/4/7976729...voting-process
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Invincible Member

To this day, some outlets consider this kind of "unskewing the vote" a good thing, at least occasionally

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/4/7976729...voting-process
    Wow. I had no knowledge of this, but in a way I'm not super shocked. It might not be totally a racial thing seeing as they were mad that if Bruce didn't win the 2nd choice should have been Prince, but still...
    Last edited by ed2962; 10-20-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Yeah, that is all sorts of messed up. You can argue baback and forth about whether Can't Slow Down is on the level of Born in the USA or Purple Rain. But in that particular instance, it was nominated in the category; it was a contender, and it got the popular vote.

But Ed, I believe you were thinking of that other funk band turned pop, Kool & the Gang, who made 'Celebration'.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Lionel Richie produced an album for Country singer Kenny Rogers in 1981.

As the title track is a cover of a song previously recorded by Bobby Blue Bland, Aretha Franklin, Motown band The Fantastic Four and other soul acts, I'll include it here instead of the country thread.

Oh, the backing vocals here? Gladys and the Pips.

Hillary was right!

Invincible Member

Yeah, that is all sorts of messed up. You can argue baback and forth about whether Can't Slow Down is on the level of Born in the USA or Purple Rain. But in that particular instance, it was nominated in the category; it was a contender, and it got the popular vote.

But Ed, I believe you were thinking of that other funk band turned pop, Kool & the Gang, who made 'Celebration'.
    You're right. I don't know what i was thinking. I'm drinking margaritas this afternoon...

Invincible Member

Lionel Richie produced an album for Country singer Kenny Rogers in 1981.

As the title track is a cover of a song previously recorded by Bobby Blue Bland, Aretha Franklin, Motown band The Fantastic Four and other soul acts, I'll include it here instead of the country thread.

Oh, the backing vocals here? Gladys and the Pips.

Lionel is doing straight up country these days. I was thinking of posting some duets he did with country stars covering his old song tomorrow...

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

Speaking of Love Things...

The facial hair on the Whispers was so sexy.

Hillary was right!

Considering Tata later recorded my favorite gospel album of the 90s, this song title seems pretty... explicit.

Hillary was right!

One of the tracks of said gospel album was... shall we say... inspired by Soul II Soul.

Hillary was right!