Page 1 of 133 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Classic R+B, Soul, Hip-Hop, etc

I started a "classic rock" thread and so far it seems to be well received. And while my definition of rock and roll is pretty broad, I started to get misty eyed for other music that I can't fit into that thread, hence this thread. Like the other one let's keep this one loose. Anything from the blue eyed soul of Hall and Oates to NWA is cool. Anything 10-15 years old is fair game. And please any personal stories, trivia, or other insights or comments are highly encouraged!

Last edited by ed2962; 12-06-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Ultimate Member

Etta...

Ultimate Member

One of my favorite all time songs from Teddy.

Ultimate Member

I remember an interview where De La said that the whole hippie/flower-power thing was really an invention of the record company. But it worked for them. I still think this is great song. And George Clinton samples were the big thing for a moment.

BANNED

I've been told this was the first song that as a kid I would walk around singing but it confused others as I would just dance around repeating "you" over and over until a uncle figured out I was singing this song but "you" was the only word I caught from the song

Ultimate Member

It's funny...Luther was extremely private about his personal life and there were all these rumors about his sexuality. But even now I don't think there's been any credible tell all about him. And that's fine. It doesn't matter.

One of the all time great romantic songs...

And yeah, that's what's her name form The Jamie Foxx Show
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-24-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Ultimate Member

I would go to alternative rock clubs around the time this song came out and they'd be playing it next to The Smiths or whatever. Hit it, Baby Dee!

I grew up in the 90's and early aughts. This song and Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do" Stuck out the most to me. I have no idea why, but I'm not much of a hip hop fan either.

Now don't ask me which version of higher ground is better, Stevie's or the Chili Peppers, I won't be able to choose, I like them both. I first heard the chili peppers version in the Power Rangers movie when they were skydiving, I didn't know it was a cover till years later.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

I grew up in the 90's and early aughts. This song and Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do" Stuck out the most to me. I have no idea why, but I'm not much of a hip hop fan either.

Now don't ask me which version of higher ground is better, Stevie's or the Chili Peppers, I won't be able to choose, I like them both. I first heard the chili peppers version in the Power Rangers movie when they were skydiving, I didn't know it was a cover till years later.

Cool. I gotta admit, whenever I see these sort of groups these days, I think back when we used to have like Jodeci, New Edition, etc. Of Course, ground zero was the Jackson 5...

Ultimate Member

Jackson 5 Motown audition. Check out Michael doing James Brown...

Ultimate Member

I saw the Chili Peppers live way back. And they did covers of both Otis Redding and Hendrix songs. And George Clinton actually produced one of their records, but as much as I like them, they always came across to me as punk rock guys who like these sings rather than white guys trying to do this music if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Cool. I gotta admit, whenever I see these sort of groups these days, I think back when we used to have like Jodeci, New Edition, etc. Of Course, ground zero was the Jackson 5...

Don't forget Boys 2 Men, they were everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I saw the Chili Peppers live way back. And they did covers of both Otis Redding and Hendrix songs. And George Clinton actually produced one of their records, but as much as I like them, they always came across to me as punk rock guys who like these sings rather than white guys trying to do this music if that makes sense?
    I get that. The chili peppers came off to me like california skater guys who really liked funk music.

Ultimate Member

Don't forget Boys 2 Men, they were everywhere.
    Definitely. They were kings at that time.

Last edited by ed2962; 11-24-2016 at 06:42 PM.

I miss the days when you could listen to a radio station and here a bit of rock, some R&B and soul, a crossover country hit or two, and some plain old pop. The days before consolidation and corporate programming.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here's The Temptations with "Ball of Confusion" from 1970, a powerful and topical song that perfectly described the incredible turmoil of the last several years of the 1960's. When you listen to that song, you can't help but wonder how the country ever pulled itself from the chaos of that turbulent time.

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!