Page 14 of 134 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Loving the horns and the bass on this one. And her voice never sounded better.
    She really deserved a comeback with that Epic album, but alas...

Well... I think that my come back to comics won't last that much... I kinda feel the need to give some money to disc stores anew, jean.

The LTD track is good, but that Mary Wells song is epic - no pun intended. And Zulema is absolutely incredible!!! I need those LPs!

BANNED

Pretty much everything with Zulema's name on it is awesome. Her first album was very introspective and high-brow ("American Fruit with African Roots" the haunting stand-out track). Her RCA albums were very much slick funk products, but Zulema played a lively piano and had those great vocals... After that, it got a little more disco, but she had a knack for epic arrangements still. She then formed a duo called Zalmac which also pot on one great album.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Pretty much everything with Zulema's name on it is awesome. Her first album was very introspective and high-brow ("American Fruit with African Roots" the haunting stand-out track). Her RCA albums were very much slick funk products, but Zulema played a lively piano and had those great vocals... After that, it got a little more disco, but she had a knack for epic arrangements still. She then formed a duo called Zalmac which also pot on one great album.
    Thanks, jean! There are two great disc stores between my train station and my bus stop : I'll check if they have those gems when I'll get back from work tomorrow...

(Falling asleep... need to wake up very early... The words I put in put in bold in your post resonate in my numb brain, so I'll end the day feeling, according to them, like if I'm...)

Just realized today that Janelle Monae was in both movies Moonlight and Hidden Figures - don't go to the movies that much these day, and don't follow the news either...

To celebrate her talent, her most cinematographic song... Probably my favorite...

Some jazz in the house! (House is allowed here?)

Let's say it's allowed...

(samples from a rare Prince interview in Detroit in the early 80s in the first part of the track - the second part (around 7:00) is sumptuous )

Moodymann and Norma Jean Bell's sax reworking Carl Craig's cover of the Stylistics (a two-parts track once more)

Last edited by Abe; 03-08-2017 at 03:03 AM.

The original in all its glory.

Last edited by Abe; 03-07-2017 at 04:31 PM.

And the version by the proto-Earth Wind & Fire...

That band...

Last edited by Abe; 03-07-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    So true, Ed!

The footage of the 1976 Houston concert is well-known for such a long time and it deserves to be seen in its entirety - the calling for the mothership still thrills me... each time... Glenn Goins so inspired... - but this extract is just so good :
    Unexpected coincidence dept.:

I went to high school with Glenn Goins.

Only for one year though - it was a three-year high school and he was a senior in my first year. His brother Kevin was in my class.

I wasn't familiar with his music then or now; I was listening to Top 40 pop then and nowadays it's mostly jazz and the Grateful Dead & friends, but I was aware that he was a local celebrity, and I remember the big writeup in the local paper after he died.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Love this man's voice. So classy!

Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

BANNED

Loving that Stylistics remix!
    To me, every Stylistics album produced by Thom Bell is genius, while all the ones produced by Hugo & Luigi I cannot even listen to.

I always imagine that Thom gave Russell Thompkins Jr. the speech Whoopi Goldberg gave Cathy Najimi in "Sister Act" - that's a powerful instrument you have there, let's reign it in a bit. While H&L loved it and put him front and center.

BANNED

Here's a funky thing by a lady who never let herself be pigeon-holed: