Page 15 of 134 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    BANNED

To me, this is the best vocal Levi Stubbs ever recorded, and one of the best vocal performances in R&B history. The song was later covered by David Peaston, and then by Whitney Houston with more of a Christmas song arrangement on the "Preacher's Wife" soundtrack.

BANNED

Speaking of songs later covered by David Peaston, here is the late great Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations.

BANNED

David Peaston himself died way too young after a lifelong struggle with obesity and diabetes. He was the younger brother of Fontella "Rescue me" Bass.

Here he is when he had his breakthrough on "Showtime at the Apollo"

Great stuff yall, strong. Though the lack of Quincy Jones thus far is disturbing. My first exposure was being 7 or just 8 and my pops buying The Dude album and it was in quite the heavy rotation.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Great stuff yall, strong. Though the lack of Quincy Jones thus far is disturbing. My first exposure was being 7 or just 8 and my pops buying The Dude album and it was in quite the heavy rotation.

Thanks, Surf! Great track and great story : you and your 'pops' have great taste!

To be honest there's so many stuff still lacking in that still young thread... Please post more!

What disturbs me the most is all the great tracks and wonderful artists that I wasn't even aware of... And I thought that I was well educated... It's good news in fact!

BTW, I still haven't taken the time to listen to all your last posts, Jean. And I know that I will discover true gems in them. (I saw in the Country etc thread that you were sick home. I wish you to feel better soon! Keep on listening to your incredible collection of good old LPs!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post

BTW, I still haven't taken the time to listen to all your last posts, Jean. And I know that I will discover true gems in them. (I saw in the Country etc thread that you were sick home. I wish you to feel better soon! Keep on listening to your incredible collection of good old LPs!
    Thanks, Abe!

Here is another of my lesser known favorites. If there is a scale for over the top emotion in soul music from 1 to 10, Linda Jones usually cranked it up to 11. Sadly, the independent labels she mostly recorded on did not have the best tech to capture her voice, causing distortions on many of her best recordings. She was diabetic and only lived to be 28 years old, sadly.
    Compare this version with Dusty Springfield and tell me who conveys the spirit of this Goffin/King song better.

BANNED

Not every male soul star bragged about what a stud he was:

One groovy virgin.

Thinking about Quincy Jones led me to George Benson - but I won't post Give me the night! (yet?...)

Before working with Quincy, from the 1977 album In Flight, produced by Tommy LiPuma, with the wonderful orchestra of Claus Ogerman (Another genius who left us almost a year ago, the 8 March 2016...)

A gorgeous version of a magic song.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Etta...

I saw her with B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, and Robert Cray back in the early '90s. Though I wasn't very knowledgeable of her music at the time (unlike the other three), she impressed the hell out of me. I'm well versed on the subject of Etta James now.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Cool. I gotta admit, whenever I see these sort of groups these days, I think back when we used to have like Jodeci, New Edition, etc. Of Course, ground zero was the Jackson 5...

The Jackson 5 were definitely the first soul group I ever heard and liked. I first discovered them back in the early '70s from their Saturday morning cartoon.

Unless I'm mistaken , this thread is sorely missing one name - The Genius of Soul himself!

You bet yer ass.

Super Talent, Bill Withers

You bet yer ass.

BANNED

"On and On" by GK&tP was written and produced by Curtis Mayfield... as was this:

They didn't always used to lip sync on Soul Train so these early performances are real gems. Wasn't til Barry White brought in 30 pieces of an orchestra that they were like, yeaaa, let's tighten this part up a bit.

The Great Sly Stone

You bet yer ass.