Page 38 of 135 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

"I'll Take You There" Staple Singers

Part 3 in a four part series! http://community.comicbookresources....Collect-Em-All!

I am feeling a bit forlorn (I have mild manic and depressive episodes, and today I hit a depressive spell hard) and I'm going through some well-known soul classics to lift my spirits. These may not be the kind of hidden gems this thread is normally featuring, but I find that it's nice to sometimes listen to a hit song as if you're hearing it for the first time.

Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Hoping you'll fluff up soon, Mor.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I am feeling a bit forlorn (I have mild manic and depressive episodes, and today I hit a depressive spell hard) and I'm going through some well-known soul classics to lift my spirits. These may not be the kind of hidden gems this thread is normally featuring, but I find that it's nice to sometimes listen to a hit song as if you're hearing it for the first time.
    It's all good. These threads are all about sharing. And I think all of us no matter what style you like, can agree that there's nothing like music to get you through hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's all good. These threads are all about sharing. And I think all of us no matter what style you like, can agree that there's nothing like music to get you through hard times.
    Thanks, I don't mean to hi-jack the thread with more 'mainstream' tunes so to speak... Did find it funny while thinking of what music could snap me out of the darkness earlier today, I quite quickly settled on soul & RnB.

On the topic of 'Off the Wall', I listen to the entire album every once in a while, and am surprised by the production on it. I wasn't around when the record was released, but it must have sounded like music of the future. Quincy and MJ were doing some groundbreaking stuff there, which is easily forgotten because of the massive success of Thriller couple years later.

Invincible Member

Thanks, I don't mean to hi-jack the thread with more 'mainstream' tunes so to speak... Did find it funny while thinking of what music could snap me out of the darkness earlier today, I quite quickly settled on soul & RnB.

On the topic of 'Off the Wall', I listen to the entire album every once in a while, and am surprised by the production on it. I wasn't around when the record was released, but it must have sounded like music of the future. Quincy and MJ were doing some groundbreaking stuff there, which is easily forgotten because of the massive success of Thriller couple years later.
    It's never been an anti-mainstream/pop thread although a lot of folks ( including myself ) like posting songs that are perhaps lesser known or forgotten. Having said that, on the previous page someone posted a song from Mike's Bad. And I'm the OP and I've posted stuff like Boys To Men and Janet Jackson and Al B Sure which is as mainstream as you can get

But yeah, Quincy's production is timeless. There's any number of other records that came out during that time and while good, you can tell when they were made. Off The Wall and Bad sound like they could have come out last year.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Lawd have mercy!

Dude I'm almost offended at that. An overwhelming number of the songs here are pretty much mainstream. There are some deep, deep stuff and some jams even I've never heard of but as long as the 10 year out rule goes it's all good. When I think of mainstream I think of 'Get Jiggy With It' and by my recollection it has never come up here and if it did, while I hate it, I couldn't fault it. I would just ignore that poster from here on out and keep it moving...j/k. I get being considerate, there is a lot of Rap music I wouldn't necessarily post cause some of it gets kind of dark so I don't wish to hi-jack myself. Don't front though and don't be shy Mormel, it can be refreshing when someone takes time out to post that they've never heard a song that maybe pre-dates them or hearing some old jam for the first time.

Hope you get to the other side of your spell man. I dive into the early pages of this thread often like a rabbit hole and the time flies by.

I have and will forever give QJ more of the credit when it comes to Michael Jackson's sound than most do. This thread could go 20 pages of just Quincy Jones music. Too MANY, MANY people, critiques, long time fans, 'Off the Wall' is the best MJ record of all of them.

Soul 2 Soul!

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Hip-Hop about Hip-Hop

You bet yer ass.

Hip-Hop about Hip-Hop

Oh nooo, I don't wanna go Pop I got
    Too much soul, Rhythm and Blues
    R & B ya see, all that's cool
    but Hip-Hop and Rap, yeah that's where my hearts at.
    Even back when I used to break on a box.

You bet yer ass.

RAKIM AKA 'The neighborhood Jaws'.

You bet yer ass.

There hasn't been that much Isley's round here at all, they've been making music for 50 years so where do you begin I feel. Footsteps has always been one of my very favorites. On top of a huge comic collection I still look for old soul records on vinyl, I have 1 damn Isley record from the 70s. There's a few jams on it, a lot of funk, that I can't recall the names right now.
    You bet yer ass.