Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

basically it's a satire on Vanilla Ice who was huge on the pop charts at that time and kinda controversial for supposedly what we now call "cultural appropriation". It's interesting that it's other white rappers that called him out.

Oh, the actor playing Ice is Henry Rollins...former singer for punk rock band Black Flag, who had a a couple alternative rock hits with his own solo band and had a minor acting career.
    Last edited by ed2962; 02-24-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Invincible Member

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Actually not produced by Isaac Hayes, even though the folks at Stax were clearly trying to copy his success with epic, slowed down versions of well known songs.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

BANNED

I'm just about at the end of my rope

But I can't stop trying

I can't give up hope

Don't be shy, you've been here before.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I feel if I never heard another Whitney Houston song ever again I think I'd be at peace with it. Not like it makes much difference but she came at a time when I was Hip-Hop and she was the top of adult contemporary, that's how she was packaged and that's how it worked. Now I am still in awe of her talent, there are amazing old clips of her doing live performances in the 80s that you wish were in Hi-def video. The appreciation has only grown, she has always been amazing even though I don't require any further views. The word tragic gets applied to a host of situations but there has got to be some heavier nomenclature elsewhere to describe the events at the end of her life. Beyond the surface, it wasn't like Prince or Michael Jackson or Aaliyah, may they rest in peace. I don't know, it just seemed to grind to a horrible end unlike the passing of any other entertainer. For me personally it's like a dark cloud over all her successes.

Anyway, this is my favorite Whitney Houston song of all of them.

You bet yer ass.

I remember how stunned I was when Jennifer Holliday came back 150 lbs or so lighter, and hadn't lost any of her voice a dropped an awesome album of R&B dancers and power ballads. This was the title track, and it's a cover of an Angela Bofill song.

Hillary was right!

Speaking of Ms Bofill, I am a big fan, but I always felt her voice sounded better... maybe freer, less nasal, when she was singing in her native Spanish.

You can compare this track to the English version "Heavenly Love" on youtube.
    I miss Jive Records.

Hillary was right!

My favorite early Angela Bofill song. She sadly no longer sings, as she never regained her singing voice after 2 strokes. Her body weight had kind of the opposite trajectory of Jennifer Holiday's, and her blood vessels just gave in at some point.

Hillary was right!

Sacrilege alert. Love Holiday but I like Hudson's movie version of 'I'm Telling You' a smooch better. I know, "BOOOOOO", whatev.
    As newer artists go Jennifer Hudson's voice is as close to the old soulful guard as we used to get back in the day than anybody else and I don't think it's close. She's no Gladys Knight's mind you but she's what we call 'good enough'.

Last edited by Surf; 02-26-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Actually a whole hellof a lote more than a smooch, that's out of respect for what Holiday went through on that production.
    You bet yer ass.

I was born in the 90's and my parents played music I probably shouldn't have been listening to at that age lol, but the music stuck with me especially the slow jamz.

This song has been in my head for a couple of days now.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

You bet yer ass.

BANNED

thi is a r&b song and a country song too