Page 78 of 134 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2005

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Johnny Gill:
    Always loved that tune.

Johnny, to me, is equal parts Luther Vandross and Teddy Pendergrass.

Does anybody know why his former duet partner Stacy Lattisaw is so angry at him these days? She tweeted some pretty cryptic and dark stuff about him trying to crush her spirit or words to that effect.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Depeche Mode cover by a legend:

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

So I bought Georgia Anne Muldrow's CD "Overload" because it made it on some "best of the year" lists and it... sucks?

Am I missing something here?

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Stacy Lattisaw
    ****, been a tough week for R&B music. I personally didn't watch a second of the Kelly doc, I can't cancel that ******* anymore than I already have since the pee bootleg. Thank God I didn't get married or found my wife to 'You Remind Me of my Jeep' I guess. The fallout revelations though is hard to avoid. I've never really been fond of a great deal of male R&B singers, that's to say I wouldn't myself pay but to see only a couple of fellas. One of them is Maxwell, I buy anything he puts out and to find out Fortunate and probably others that I wasn't aware were written by Kelly is disheartening. Whatyagonnado though. The shade that's been thrown Aaliyah's way too is kinda tough. We really don't know any of these people but there are a few that you'd like to feel the way they come across. Some of the Aaliyah images that have come up that have been out there for decades have some way more sinister meaning now. Paul brings up Stacy Lattisaw and I wonder why didn't she blow up bigger. There were other young voices out back then and specifically where I was and how I felt at the time of certain artist's popularity. Me and Tracy Spencer are about 5 months apart in age but looking back on some of her old stuff now, the record industry is just kinda nasty. She had an older sound so I guess that the justification but she broke when she was 14 and the videos ALWAYS made her look older. The record industry didn't just sell and market young people **** to young people is what I guess I'm saying. In the 90s that dollar was so strong you didn't even think about it though.

You bet yer ass.

This is what I'm sayin. Forget about the idea that I thought at least 2 of these chicks were absolutely gorgeous in my 14 year old mind. But this wasn't the first video they had this Catholic school girl uniform thing goin', it was kind of their thing. They weren't very popular and maybe their management thought appealing to Junior Highers was the way to go but I mean Snoop Dogg came out only a couple years later and had the same audience and there wasn't **** about going to school on 'The Chronic'. ****'s crazy.

You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia]****, been a tough week for R&B music. I personally didn't watch a second of the Kelly doc, I can't cancel that ******* anymore than I already have since the pee bootleg. Thank God I didn't get married or found my wife to 'You Remind Me of my Jeep' I guess. The fallout revelations though is hard to avoid. I've never really been fond of a great deal of male R&B singers, that's to say I wouldn't myself pay but to see only a couple of fellas. One of them is Maxwell, I buy anything he puts out and to find out Fortunate and probably others that I wasn't aware were written by Kelly is disheartening.
    I hear ya. I only ever bought 1 CD single by R. Kelly (yes it was "I believe I can fly"; shut up already), but I have all the Maxwell stuff. And he was kind of discovered by Gladys Knight's late son, Jimmy Newman. I think Kelly's very first credit was a remix of a song on Knight's "Good Woman" album. Knight's somewhat shady ex, Barry Hankerson, was Aaliyah's uncle, and that is most likely how the two met.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I hear ya. I only ever bought 1 CD single by R. Kelly (yes it was "I believe I can fly"; shut up already), but I have all the Maxwell stuff. And he was kind of discovered by Gladys Knight's late son, Jimmy Newman. I think Kelly's very first credit was a remix of a song on Knight's "Good Woman" album. Knight's somewhat shady ex, Barry Hankerson, was Aaliyah's uncle, and that is most likely how the two met.
    Wow damn, I didn't know that.
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Wow damn, I didn't know that.
    Yeah.
    From Wikipedia:
    Born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised in Detroit, Michigan, she first gained recognition at the age of 10, when she appeared on the television show Star Search and performed in concert alongside Gladys Knight. At the age of 12, Aaliyah signed with Jive Records and her uncle Barry Hankerson's Blackground Records. Hankerson introduced her to R. Kelly, who became her mentor, as well as lead songwriter and producer of her debut album, Age Ain't Nothing but a Number. The album sold three million copies in the United States and was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). After facing allegations of an illegal marriage with Kelly, Aaliyah ended her contract with Jive and signed with Atlantic Records.
    Hankerson's and Knight's marriage fell apart after he had produced a huge flop of a movie with Gladys' own money (Pipe Dreams), which basically bankrupted her right after her most successful recording period in the 70s. Their son seems to be taking after daddy, as Shanga Hankerson made headlines not so long ago for evading taxes as manager of the "Gladys Knight Chicken and Waffle" restaurant. In court, he smeared his own mom as having Alzheimer's disease and not knowing what she was doing...

Hillary was right!

Oh, and Barry Hankerson also managed Toni Braxton right into bankruptcy and got sued by her over that.

Hillary was right!

Near as I can figure, 'Fortunate' is the only song Kelly ever wrote for Maxwell. And that was on the Life soundtrack. His studio albums remain untainted.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Near as I can figure, 'Fortunate' is the only song Kelly ever wrote for Maxwell. And that was on the Life soundtrack. His studio albums remain untainted.
    Looks like you are right.. weird, I was sure there was a track on Now or Embrya, too.

Hillary was right!

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

KC and the Sunshine Band before they blew up