Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do British people think of Thanksgiving?

I know that Thanksgiving is pretty much an American-only holiday where we sit down and have a nice big turkey with mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie along with a collage of other dishes guests would bring to the table, but I'm curious to know... what are the people from England's views on Thanksgiving, along with the views of other Brits (Scots, Welsh, Cornish, Northern Irish)?

How much do people in the UK know about this American tradition that dates back to the 1600's?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

It's my second favourite US holiday, just edged out by Whacking Day.

'Did you bring the pre-whacked snakes?'

Nah, I don't think it really registers with us much. In recent years the phenomenon of 'Black Friday' has been more prevalent due to Amazon introducing it.

I'm personally pretty clued up on the Thanksgiving tradition but I'm not sure how many other Brits are. I'm a big history buff so that stuff interests me.

I hate turkey though.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 11-25-2016 at 01:27 PM.

BANNED

I hear that some Brits are interested in celebrating this "Thanksgiving", is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    I hear that some Brits are interested in celebrating this "Thanksgiving", is that true?
    I've heard this but I don't know anyone who does. I think maybe it's just people who live in London and know lots of American expats.

Personally I've always thought Thanksgiving sounded like a bit of a logistical nightmare. I mean you have to drive halfway across the country, make small talk with your relatives, eat a huge Turkey dinner and then a month later you have to do it all again for Christmas. That just sounds like bad scheduling to me. Why not move it to the summer instead?
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

Because I'm in Italy this year, I couldn't celebrating it. But usually I always cook a Thanksgiving meal with my husband. I lived there for so long, I miss the bacon, mushroom soup broad beans and the marshmallow sweet potatoes and who doesn't love turkey? So yes, usually I celebrate it, but I lived there for a long time so... it's not too shocking. I don't know anyone who celebrates it, who doesn't have American close friends.

That said... Britain, for some reason, does Black Friday???? Who knows why? Money knows why
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Outside of American expats or their friends and relatives? No.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I hate turkey though.
    Silly question but do turkeys exist in the wild or are they only breed by human to be eaten over the various holidays?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Silly question but do turkeys exist in the wild or are they only breed by human to be eaten over the various holidays?
    There are wild turkeys but they are much different than domestic ones. I sometimes see some near my house.

Like Shawn says, there are still wild turkeys.

Fun fact - turkey's originate from North America. It's a good quiz question that. You'd be surprised how many people don't realise it.

EDIT - Of course when I say that many people don't realise that, I mean people on this side of the Atlantic!
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 11-26-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

My Wife and I celebrate it as she was born in New York.

Astonishing Member

Wild turkeys are still very much a popular game bird for hunters. They are actually more nearly like a pheasant than like a farm-raised turkey. Incidentally, "Wild Turkey" is the brand name of a popular bourbon whiskey, just as "The Famous Grouse" is a popular blended Scotch whisky.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They made a real effort here in Michigan to bring back the wild turkey. The DNR and others released a bunch around the state hoping they would make a comeback, and they did big time. They flourished here in Michigan and are now a very common sight. You see them all over these days.

Wild turkey is good to eat, but there is not nearly the amount of meat you get from farm raised ones. It is very good though.

Invincible Member

I'd be surprised if the average British person on the street had strong feelings about it one way or another.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'd be surprised if the average British person on the street had strong feelings about it one way or another.
    For the most part, we don't.

I'm equally interested as to how Native Americans view Thanksgiving?

The only Englishman I know that I can recall celebrating it had an American girlfriend.

That said, it seems a likable enough national holiday. It's a little close to Christmas, though; I have more than enough opportunities for celebrations in these months
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 11-27-2016 at 02:53 AM.