Page 1 of 148 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Shuri Appreciation: Princess of Wakanda (2018)

In light of Shuri coming back from the "dead" in the most recent issue of Black Panther (Black Panther #8 by Coates), I figured..."Why not a Shuri thread?"

Let's see how it goes. Hoping that this thread fares better better than my War Machine appreciation thread (poor Rhodey).

Shuri's officially back...with some brand new gear...

Last edited by Realdealholy; 03-06-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Huh! I'm kind of surprised she didn't have one already...although I guess she was talked about enough in the main Black Panther thread to where it was kind of a stealth Shuri Appreciation Thread. Nice to see her with one though .

And yeah, poor Rhodey .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh! I'm kind of surprised she didn't have one already...although I guess she was talked about enough in the main Black Panther thread to where it was kind of a stealth Shuri Appreciation Thread. Nice to see her with one though .

And yeah, poor Rhodey .
    Yea, after some thought, I figured "oh, what the heck, lets do it" lol.

Poor Rhodey indeed. Not only is his profile slowly reducing in the MCU (his appearance in Civil War was the best in a looooong time, almost by default), but now he's dead in the comics...and his appreciation thread didn't get much traction.

Funny enough, Rhodey and Shuri seemed to have a good working relationship during the Mayberry run. If she was alive during the start of the ANAD launch, I suspect she may have attended the funeral, due to his actions during Doomwar.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 11-26-2016 at 08:43 AM.

For those wondering "Who on earth is Shuri?" Here is her wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuri_(comics)

Brief summary...

BIO

-Sister of T'Challa, the Black Panther.

-Princess (and former Queen) of Wakanda and heiress to the Wakandan throne.

-Became the Black Panther and ruler of Wakanda, and remained as such till her "death" in New Avengers #24 by Hickman.

Personality

-Generally brash and headstrong in her earlier years, although she matured a lot now.

-Quite ruthless when dealing with Wakanda's enemies.

-Holds a nationalistic stance politically. Leans more on the traditional side of things, but nowhere to the extreme of M'Baku and the White Gorilla clan.

Abilities (prior to "Death")

-Highly-educated, due to being a member of the Wakandan royal family.

-Extensively trained martial artist.

-Enhanced speed, agility, strength, endurance and senses via consuming the heart-shaped herb.

*UPDATE*

-New codename: Griot.

-New title: Aja-Adanna (Keeper of Wakandan lore).

-Highly-trained martial artist.

-Acquired knowledge of Wakanda's history before the emergence of the Black Panthers.

-Animorphism: Transforms into flock of birds, capable of flight and offensive abilities. Can combine flock of birds into a large bird, capable of flight and offensive abilities.

-Stone Skin: Can turn skin into stone, making her impervious to handgun and assault rifle fire (length of time tbd).

-Super speed: can move around at a rapid speed. Can even run vertically on walls while using super speed. How fast is she compared to other speedsters remains to be seen.

-Can temporarily transfer her Animorphism power to another person via touch.

-Necromancy: Can temporarily reanimate Wakandan corpses (takes a lot of energy from her, though).

-Can use most of her power in combination (Stone skin + Animorphism, for example).
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 04-18-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Speaking of Shuri and Rhodey...

Leaning on Wakandan traditionalism and mysticism.

BANNED

Still waiting for her to be cast.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Still waiting for her to be cast.
    Likewise.

There is the possibility of Letitia Wright being casted as Shuri, especially since her agent used a photo of Letitia and Shuri spliced to confirm her casting. Said agent even called it a :major role": https://www.instagram.com/p/BL0qLf3DMcx/

That said, I have a feeling she'll play Queen Divine Justice instead.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 11-26-2016 at 05:41 AM.

From "See Wakanda and Die."

In light of Shuri being back from the Djalia, a few questions come to mind:

What will be her new power set?

Shuri's Djalia stories seemed rather vague at first, but those stories appear to have foreshadowed her potential powers (speed? hardened skin? flight via birds?). Curious on how all that will be applied on panel.

What will be her position in Wakanda?

Prior to her "death," Shuri passed the crown back to T'Challa, thus she is no longer queen. Her "death" assured that and T'Challa is King once more. I honestly don't see Shuri even attempting to wrestle power away from T'Challa at all. Most likely, she'll follow precedent and support T'Challa as her King, just like T'Challa did during her reign.

That being said, I suspect her journey through the Djalia will compel her to be much more active this time compared to her previous time as princess. Especially in light of the current situation in Wakanda. Which leads to the following question...

How will Wakanda react to her return?

To answer this question, one def has consider the state of affairs during the Hickman run.

Shuri sided with the Wakandan government and the Wakandan people when she ordered the attacks on Atlantis in retaliation to Namor's attack during AvX. When Wakanda was under attack during the Infinity event, she was in the front lines of every battle. By New Avengers #12, she had the support of both the Dora Milaje and the Hatute Zerare.

In short, she had the support of a lot of factions and garnered some goodwill from the Wakandan people.

As for how the Wakandans will react, here are my predictions:

-The Wakandan government will mostly likely welcome her back openly. The Hatute Zeraze in particular should be pleased, considering her history with the group.

-The Dora Milaje might be conflicted, considering their relationship with Shuri. I expect--after some fisticuffs because comics--the Doras to return back to the fold.

-Tetu in particular mentioned Shuri's "death" as a grievance towards T'Challa in BP #3. I suspect Tetu, despite Shuri's return, will press forward.

-Having Shuri on his side should help T'Challa's shore up more support from the Wakandan people.

The next few issues have a lot of questions to answer.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 11-26-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

And yeah, poor Rhodey .
    She had one before the reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Likewise.

There is the possibility of Letitia Wright being casted as Shuri, especially since her agent used a photo of Letitia and Shuri spliced to confirm her casting. Said agent even called it a :major role": https://www.instagram.com/p/BL0qLf3DMcx/

That said, I have a feeling she'll play Queen Divine Justice instead.
    Yeah that the only issue I've had with casting so far, Doesn't fit Shuri at all on any level and barely fits QDJ imo...

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    She had one before the reboot
    Did not know that. Makes sense considering her position at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Yeah that the only issue I've had with casting so far, Doesn't fit Shuri at all on any level and barely fits QDJ imo...
    Assuming Letitia Wright is indeed playing Shuri, I agree that she def isn't my ideal pick or even my second, third, or even fourth choice. I would've done it differently. On the bright side, she's a good actress. She'll do a good job with what she's given.

She def looks more like a QDJ to me, but I don't know how they are going to fit her story in, if they go that direction.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 11-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.